free hit
counters
Front splitter removal - Page 2 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

My lip was taped only and I tested it on the Autobahn with 180km/h. Everything was fine for one week. 

Now it's partly fallen of in the middle. Reason was a scraping shortly before. On the left and right the rubber is still clued very strong and still nearly impossible to remove.

So in the end screws are needed, but not for hard driving or highspeed but for scraping. As the car is only 6 or 7 cm centimeters from ground with a lip this is hardly to avoid.

Surely you don't have to remove the splitter to fit a lip. And you don't have to remove wheels and wheel arches to remove the front splitter the way. 

Edited by ArthouseCompany
  • Thanks 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
6 hours ago, MrP_ said:

This would work as a bonding agent. Remember to wipe down with IPA first on the splitter: https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/fillers-preparation/tigerseal-black-310ml-w-gloves

Back to the original plan, did you use adhesive promotor? Use of this takes the tapes from quite good, to stupid good: https://www.vikingtapes.co.uk/collections/adhesion-promoter?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj6qNvqz64QIVAwvTCh2lag6_EAAYAiAAEgK8OPD_BwE. Smaller pots are available

Thanks for this detail. Really appreciate your help. 

So if I wanted to create a rubber mounting platform to allow me to screw this in to place , I would use the tiger seal to bond this to the splitter ? Then screw the lip in to this and part of the splitter ? What screws / washer did you use @MrP_?

i didn’t use an adhesive promoter. Do you think this would work and get a better bond without the other scenario  of using  screws ? 

Thanks in advance. I wish you would open a business based on car projects ... you would be a busy guy! 

Austen. 

35 minutes ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

Thanks for this detail. Really appreciate your help. 

So if I wanted to create a rubber mounting platform to allow me to screw this in to place , I would use the tiger seal to bond this to the splitter ? Then screw the lip in to this and part of the splitter ? What screws / washer did you use @MrP_?

i didn’t use an adhesive promoter. Do you think this would work and get a better bond without the other scenario  of using  screws ? 

Thanks in advance. I wish you would open a business based on car projects ... you would be a busy guy! 

Austen. 

Yeah that's the idea, obviously easy to think of the idea trickier to do it, but thats where I would go if creating similar with wood is not practical to create, think of it as creating a foundation for a wall but upside down.

Screws used were No6x6.5 mm (3.5MM*6.5MM) with M4 /15mm OD washers (I think) ,these will only dig into the surface you are screwing into by a few mm - so hold it in place but you could go deeper.

Adhesion promotor certainly helps, and worth a shot if you can get the wipes as they would be cheaper than a full bottle.

I'm in Edinburgh next week so happy to give pointers one evening if you are near the city? Plans a bit up in the air but I'm sure we could make it work

On 01/05/2019 at 20:57, MrP_ said:

Yeah that's the idea, obviously easy to think of the idea trickier to do it, but thats where I would go if creating similar with wood is not practical to create, think of it as creating a foundation for a wall but upside down.

Screws used were No6x6.5 mm (3.5MM*6.5MM) with M4 /15mm OD washers (I think) ,these will only dig into the surface you are screwing into by a few mm - so hold it in place but you could go deeper.

Adhesion promotor certainly helps, and worth a shot if you can get the wipes as they would be cheaper than a full bottle.

I'm in Edinburgh next week so happy to give pointers one evening if you are near the city? Plans a bit up in the air but I'm sure we could make it work

Ok... IPA and 3M adhesive promoter purchased. I am hopeful this will work. The tape stuck well to the splitter it was the adhesion to the rubber that wasn’t strong. The promoter that I have bought (3M 94) is designed for rubber and similar type products. I will report back on success. If not then I may try the other option you suggested... or buy a big splitter ! 

I am working abroad next week, which is a shame as I would have liked to have picked your brains on mods. You’re welcome anytime you are in Edinburgh 😀

• Like 1

I do miss my front rubber lip piece so contemplating ordering another batch of the rubber profile. Seems as though pricing has doubled since last purchased!!!

Anyone else interested as seems the more you buy the cheaper it goes from circa £11-6 per metre.

I have reattached it using the 3M VHB tape and the adhesion promoter, first cleaned with IPA, as per @MrP_ notes. 

Using the adhesion promoter makes it crazy sticky. You need to get it right first time when placing the lip as it sticks hard instantly. Way more effective than using the tape alone, I  couldn’t believe the difference. 

I used 3M 94 primer for the adhesion promoter. Not cheap but well worth it. 

Do you use the primer on the splitter AND rubber lip? 

18 hours ago, Edinburgh 111s said:

I have reattached it using the 3M VHB tape and the adhesion promoter, first cleaned with IPA, as per @MrP_ notes. 

Using the adhesion promoter makes it crazy sticky. You need to get it right first time when placing the lip as it sticks hard instantly. Way more effective than using the tape alone, I  couldn’t believe the difference. 

I used 3M 94 primer for the adhesion promoter. Not cheap but well worth it. 

Glad it worked! I'd only used it on open cell foam and solid plastic, so glad rubber sees the same results

4 hours ago, alias23 said:

Do you use the primer on the splitter AND rubber lip? 

You would normally need to, 2 coats for rubber as it's slightly porous. Also clean both sides with IPA first

3 hours ago, MrP_ said:

Glad it worked! I'd only used it on open cell foam and solid plastic, so glad rubber sees the same results

You would normally need to, 2 coats for rubber as it's slightly porous. Also clean both sides with IPA first

Yes I applied two coats of the primer  to the rubber also. I can’t believe the grip on the tape. I think you would struggle to rip it off it’s that’s tough. 

I only primed the rubber lip as that’s where the  adhesion failed last time. The tape stuck well to the splitter. I cleaned both with IPA  

Once applied I left it at room temperature for a few days as this is what’s recommended on the 3M VHB notes. 

Edited by Edinburgh 111s
  • Like 1