free hit
counters
Cats & Exhaust - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Alrighty then,

It's been 2 months now that I've had the Hyper-Flows on the car ('02 V8). The first 3 weeks were perfect. So far, still great, but I am getting a metal rattling vibration noise from the Muffler, which started a little under a month after installing it. I was giving it some time before reporting back on my experience, as I've heard some great performance comments, with some poor fitting issues. I have the stock muffler, as Kevin's Tubi stories scared mye away from even thinking about the this exhaust. Seems if I get a rag and squeeze the Cat to Muffler connecting clamps hard enough, the rattling seems to almost stop. I'm either going to tighten it more, or try to find some type of gasket to put in between the clamp and "pipe" and figure that will stop the vibrations, and therefore the rattling noise. I just don't want to over tighten this part and crack the pipe or something..... Still studying mechanics level 101.

Luke, KM, Allen... What can you guys tell me about your exhaust experiences?? BTW, there is definitely a performance increase with the Hyper-Flows just from feel, but have not dynode the car yet.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty then,

It's been 2 months now that I've had the Hyper-Flows on the car ('02 V8).  The first 3 weeks were perfect.  So far, still great, but I am getting a metal rattling vibration noise from the Muffler, which started a little under a month after installing it.  I was giving it some time before reporting back on my experience, as I've heard some great performance comments, with some poor fitting issues.  I have the stock muffler, as Kevin's Tubi stories scared mye away from even thinking about the this exhaust.  Seems if I get a rag and squeeze the Cat to Muffler connecting clamps hard enough, the rattling seems to almost stop.  I'm either going to tighten it more, or try to find some type of gasket to put in between the clamp and "pipe" and figure that will stop the vibrations, and therefore the rattling noise.  I just don't want to over tighten this part and crack the pipe or something.....  Still studying mechanics level 101.

Luke, KM, Allen...  What can you guys tell me about your exhaust experiences??  BTW, there is definitely a performance increase with the Hyper-Flows just from feel, but have not dynode the car yet.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also have a 2002 with the center exhaust muffler. I had the CATS replaced with a straight through pipe connected to the stock exhaust. The ball fitting used to connect to the muffler is not a tight fit with the stock clamp fittings. I went to "theflangeman.com" and picked the correct size 'split flange' which pull the muffler fitting and straight pipe ball fitting together, creating a much tighter and stronger connection as compared to the stock clamp. You should check your fittings at the turbo for tightness also.

Did you have the Hyper Cats installed in place of your stock Cats by cutting the pipes and re-welding or did you have whole new pipes/cats made up? I do notice better throttle response without the Cats!

:D

I also have a 2002 with the center exhaust muffler. I had the CATS replaced with a straight through pipe connected to the stock exhaust. The ball fitting used to connect to the muffler is not a tight fit with the stock clamp fittings. I went to "theflangeman.com" and picked the correct size 'split flange' which pull the muffler fitting and straight pipe ball fitting together, creating a much tighter and stronger connection as compared to the stock clamp. You should check your fittings at the turbo for tightness also.

Did you have the Hyper Cats installed in place of your stock Cats by cutting the pipes and re-welding or did you have whole new pipes/cats made up? I do notice better throttle response without the Cats!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, DEFINITELY much better response, more power, and "Dark Jedi" throatier exhaust note (not to mention a bit louder)! I had our local Lotus Race mechanice install them, as I had heard some fitment issues, so didn't want to take any chances. Either way, I don't have access to a lift anyhow. The loose fitting is at the connection clamp to the stock exhaust. It's already pretty tight. If the rattling comes back, I'll need to try a gasket of some sort in between the clamp and pipe in order to tighten the connecting points, as well as muffle the vibrations.