free hit
counters
uk road tax - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
andyj007

uk road tax

question chaps 

do all the  400 410 and 430  all fall in the highest uk tax bracket..  ?  

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

New or second hand? Mine certainly isn’t. In fact I think it is lower than an S. 

second hand, i imagine the new gets the additional govt funding fee applied. 

when you look on autotrader some are lower some are higher,  so 

it seems  s1 n/a are lower s1 S some low some  are higher, and differences between the 400...  

hmmnnnn  

My auto 400 is around £300 a year and my old manual S1 S was around £500/£550 from memory, as was my manual Exige V6.

The auto's seem to just scrape under the 225g/km but unfortunately the manuals are just over pushing them into the next VED band.

• Like 2

From April 2017, basically anything with a list price in excess of 40k gets slapped with £310.00 onto the base rate of £140.00

The rate of £140.00 sounds OK, but as list prices of cars keep increasing, I doubt the 40k TAX threshold will do at all or or by that much, so bit by bit, anything remotely interesting will be dragged into that area of cost.

• Like 1

The N/A was 3 down bands down from the top. The IPS S was in the same as the N/A. The manual S was 2 down from the top (which is where the jump is). The Auto 400's before the last changes were the same as the N/A, I thought the manuals were too, but not 100% sure. Now they will all attract the value charge. Not sure if the banding will have changed too.

• Like 2

My 16 plate 400 is not in the highest tax bracket - just renewed it at £300 for the year. Unlike my older V6 exige, which was almost double that.

Man maths ahoy Andy, time to make the change. You know it makes sense. 

• Like 2

interesting..  thanks..  i absolutely hate paying our unfair  high road tax for when in my case with  a few cars, they dont get much milage..

Will,   man maths has got me into trouble many a time..!      i absolutely adore my s1..tho..  but you never know if something came up..  :) 

I have no idea how much the tax is on my GT430 and Cup 430.

• Haha 1

Mine's not for sale Andy, sorry! 

Man maths might get me into trouble shortly. I miss my fiesta ST a lot... 

• Like 1

I have just renewed my almost 1 year old Evora 410 Sport at £450 for the year. Given my last years mileage was 4k that is the equivalent of 11.25p per mile. Hardly extortionate but not trifling.

I do believe it's first registration was before, by about a week, may be two, last years changes that brought in the +£40k increase premium.

My 2001 VX220 SC cost me £315 for the year which was the same as my Evora S1 NA from 2010.

• Like 1

My S1 Evora S was £540 renewal recently. Still a bargain compared to what I was charged when it was first registered (£900+ IIRC).

1 hour ago, tim_marra said:

My S1 Evora S was £540 renewal recently. Still a bargain compared to what I was charged when it was first registered (£900+ IIRC).

Swap it for a 410Sport and save £90 a year :happydance:

Trouble is the price to change will cost more £90/year than I have years left. Or likely total life expectancy. 410 is lovely though.

My S1 is a keeper btw, lovely, lovely, lovely. And tons of grunt with the TVS1900 :happydance:

• Like 1

On 15/03/2019 at 09:03, Colin P said:

The N/A was 3 down bands down from the top. The IPS S was in the same as the N/A. The manual S was 2 down from the top (which is where the jump is). The Auto 400's before the last changes were the same as the N/A, I thought the manuals were too, but not 100% sure. Now they will all attract the value charge. Not sure if the banding will have changed too.

Yes my S IPS is £329 a year which was a pleasant surprise as I was expecting to be more!!

What happens to the extra premium charge for vehicle over £40k.......if you only tax the car for 6 months?🤔 Common sense would say it’s halved like the standard road tax charge but I’ve not seen it stated so can’t be certain?

common sense doesnt apply when its govt legislation...    interested in the answer too... anyone?

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

According to the Gov website it appears for the first year you can only tax for 12 months, after that (next 4 years) you can get 6 months tax at half the rate plus a percentage including the £40k plus premium.

• Like 1

So full rate of £310 premium plus the 6 month payment then it seems - what a joke!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

So full rate of £310 premium plus the 6 month payment then it seems - what a joke!

No the 6 months premium is £170.50.

On 17/03/2019 at 17:34, stephenwhyte said:

What happens to the extra premium charge for vehicle over £40k.......if you only tax the car for 6 months?🤔 Common sense would say it’s halved like the standard road tax charge but I’ve not seen it stated so can’t be certain?

When I did my last one, as previous, the first years vehicle tax is included in the 'on the road price' so the extra premium was just dumped in and added to the cost....  I did get a nice letter to tell me that i had paid this extra tax, and I will do over the first five years.  You can pay in 6 months lumps, but there is a premium.

1 hour ago, Geoffers said:

No the 6 months premium is £170.50.

I didn’t see that written anywhere - if you’re right then that does seem fairer but I still don’t see it anywhere on the website 

36 minutes ago, Harey said:

When I did my last one, as previous, the first years vehicle tax is included in the 'on the road price' so the extra premium was just dumped in and added to the cost....  I did get a nice letter to tell me that i had paid this extra tax, and I will do over the first five years.  You can pay in 6 months lumps, but there is a premium.

Yes in the first year clearly it’s taxed from new for 12 months but my first year tax on my Exige runs out next month and I’m trying to confirm what the cost of taxing for 6 months will be, all in.

15 minutes ago, stephenwhyte said:

Yes in the first year clearly it’s taxed from new for 12 months but my first year tax on my Exige runs out next month and I’m trying to confirm what the cost of taxing for 6 months will be, all in.

As @Bibs highlights the website and here https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables at the bottom. So you will have to pay the standard rate and the 'luxury' part.