free hit
counters
Why the low miles? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Why the low miles?

My car is on 44k which is considered high mileage for an Evora yet it’s only 5,500 miles per annum.  Looking at Pistonheads classifieds, of the 59 cars for sale only 2 are on 50k+ miles, 3 are on 40-50k miles, 3 on 30-40k miles, and the remaining 51 are <30k miles.  Filtering to cars no newer than 2015 leaves 19 for sale, of which 9 are <20k miles.

What’s going on?  Don’t we like to drive our cars?  I can understand low miles on an Exige, but the Evora is supposed to have a much wider usability window.  Or are all the higher-mile cars being cherished and driven by their owners rather than being sold?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My 400 is two years old and is already at 19,000 miles. My old Elise made it to 175,000 and I'm hoping to beat that in the Evora! Cars are meant to be driven.

If that’s who I think it is he’s coming to the IOM with us this year and if I recall correctly I think he said he’s expecting it to clock 250,000km whilst there. 

I had a high day today. The missus was off to her regular Saturday boot camp (well, one of us has to be fit and healthy for our retirement and my money is on her wiping my arse rather than the other w

mines a weekend car, but also my office is at home...  my projects i take the van..  plus i have 4 other cars to split the milage.. 

would  love to daily drive it to be honest..    

do sometimes take it when meeting clients..:)

Van for work, mini for other stuff, evora for nice days, so only managed 3k this last year. 15k in 4 years so not all bad. You're right though, you would expect them to be higher milage due to their greater practicality

Gav

• Like 1

All my Lotus cars over the last 25 years or so have been play cars and in more recent years shared garage space with classic cars too, so not always easy to pile on the miles as I shared the driving between them all. Added to that, I think if I drove the Evora as a daily, it would start to lose some of its 'specialness' (if that's actually a word!).

My classics have now gone, so maybe I will start to use the Evora a bit more. Still won't do a high mileage though!😄

7 hours ago, plenty said:

What’s going on?  Don’t we like to drive our cars?  I can understand low miles on an Exige, but the Evora is supposed to have a much wider usability window.  Or are all the higher-mile cars being cherished and driven by their owners rather than being sold?

I would hope the latter as it would be sad to see Cars like the EVORA go the way of Ferrari's. Where high mileage means low value, and because high usage adds to major service expenses and that's from experience.

My 400 is my touring GT and I use it for just that and country trips and the once off track event, its easy to look after and cheap to maintain buy comparisons to my garage queen DD's which is now in some else's barn.

• Gold FFM

The 400 was originally my daily, but with a conscious call that I didn't want to put more than 10K a year on it, because as you say this does make it an outlier.

The N/A was on 44K when I sold it (I think) and I recall it being at  the higher end but not especially more than the others being sold at the time and that was 2.5 year ago.

Personally, I'd rather have a 50K car in use regularly as road mileage than a 15k car which has done it all on track or a 5K one that spends most of it's life sitting about.

That said, the mileage doesn't really seem to hurt the cars too much. Even the 80K milers are only £2-3K less, which is nothing really.

• Like 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

• Gold FFM

It all comes down to money doesn't it?  Our car buying habits/prejudices are driven from years ago where the average car would struggle to do 60k miles in its life, then it was 100k miles.  So, cars with 50,60,70k miles are viewed as coming towards the end of their serviceable life.

Modern manufacturing techniques, tooling, materials and quality has really turned this on its head, car's generally last much longer, are better all around, but our prejudices remain.  There is no reason why any Evora could not go for 150k miles, with proper maintenance, before any serious mechanical overhaul was needed. But, I doubt any will get there as owners will just not use them for fer of the financial loss.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

8 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

It all comes down to money doesn't it?  Our car buying habits/prejudices are driven from years ago where the average car would struggle to do 60k miles in its life, then it was 100k miles.  So, cars with 50,60,70k miles are viewed as coming towards the end of their serviceable life.

Modern manufacturing techniques, tooling, materials and quality has really turned this on its head, car's generally last much longer, are better all around, but our prejudices remain.  There is no reason why any Evora could not go for 150k miles, with proper maintenance, before any serious mechanical overhaul was needed. But, I doubt any will get there as owners will just not use them for fer of the financial loss.

Totally agree, thats why in some states in Australia road worthy inspections are only need on the sale of a vechicle, rather than yearly and in NSW a car needs to be 5 years old before a road worthy.

My referenece to Ferrari's and other exotics is its all about the resale, which must include supporting documentation the same weight of the car, to prove its well looked after, by the dealer.

I see the new LOTUS's will go the same way due to the suffocation the market now demands, sad really.

• Gold FFM
24 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

There is no reason why any Evora could not go for 150k miles, with proper maintenance, before any serious mechanical overhaul was needed.

I hope so Andy - mine is going in next week for service #9 with 69k miles on the clock, although I can already hear in my head Craig telling me (again) that the clutch pedal is heavy, 🙄 .

I've no plans to reduce my usage of it, in fact I've just upped the projected annual limit on the insurance to 12k. I've got a daily that I can use but it only does about half the miles the Evora does.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

I hope so Andy - mine is going in next week for service #9 with 69k miles on the clock, although I can already hear in my head Craig telling me (again) that the clutch pedal is heavy, 🙄 .

I would be surprised given its had one new clutch in it already! Although if you've been thrashing it!

• Gold FFM
18 hours ago, 21gg said:

I would be surprised given its had one new clutch in it already! Although if you've been thrashing it!

It's treated with the utmost mechanical sympathy, Gavin - always has been and always will be.

To me, it's no heavier today than it was the day I got it. Last time I was in at CMC, Craig invited me to sample the pedal in an Evora that had just had a new clutch fitted and admittedly, it did feel somewhat lighter than mine. Having said that, I've also experienced one that was heavier still than mine so it would seem that there's quite a bit of variation in pedal feel from one car to another.

I'm happy with it the way it is. I like a bit of 'weight' in the pedal and it's almost exactly the same feel as the clutch in my Alfa, which incidentally has just been replaced at 107k miles after the dual-mass flywheel centre bearing collapsed - there was still a good bit of meat left on the bones on the friction plate too so I wouldn't say I had been sore on it either.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
9 hours ago, Colin P said:

If that’s who I think it is he’s coming to the IOM with us this year and if I recall correctly I think he said he’s expecting it to clock 250,000km whilst there. 

Wow. That's made me smile and I look forward to buying him a beer/wine for a job well done in September.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Mine had it's MOT this week and shamefully, looking at last year's test report, I've done 1,800 miles in the last year and 23,000 since 2011.  I was in Australia for work six times last year and when in the UK I usually get to work and clients by train or plane.  So the Evora gets used at the weekends, mainly local trips and several Lotus events.  It's been to the Isle of Man a few times and will be back there again this year.  Every mile is a pleasure, even when lugging kids or bikes, so the low use doesn't worry me.  My old Elan suffered from being left standing for weeks on end but the Evora seems to cope fine with low use.

Thanks all for the interesting feedback.  Clearly despite being the closest thing that Lotus has ever created to a daily driver, many people use their Evora as a high days and holidays car.  And why not?  I agree with the poster who said this preserves the sense of occasion when you do drive it.

• Gold FFM

Mot on the S4s showed I did 3205 miles in her last year. Must try harder now she’s all in one piece again

• Like 1

Only here once

Use mine as much as I can, mainly for my 350-mile round-trip commute to work (2 or 3 times per month) or 40-mile trips to family/volunteer work.

Currently on 45,000 and very merrily adding 10-12,000 miles per year. Run on Millers Nanotech CFS+ oil (like queen-bee nectar; was the stuff to use on the time-bomb that is a 996 Porsche) and feels fantastic every time. If it means it's only worth £2K-£3K less when I sell it, I don't care; the enjoyment is well worth it. Also, absolutely no plans to sell it!

14 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I had a high day today. The missus was off to her regular Saturday boot camp (well, one of us has to be fit and healthy for our retirement and my money is on her wiping my arse rather than the other way around!). The sun was shining. I was up early as usual so thought well hey, it's a high time for a high day!  So off I went, 3.5 hours with nowhere to go just drive. Up hill. Round Loch. Through valley. Left. Right.  Apart from a stop off for a square slice roll and a lovely coffee, it was just me and the Evora all the way.  No idea how many miles I drove but it was a full tank of fuel!  (  oooopppps!).

Andy, please stop making me green with envy. Rubbing it in when I am Lotusless is just bad form :2guns:

Finally getting some sensible discussion & responses from DVLA, so hopefully will be back in an Evora towards the end of the year :thumbup:

• Like 2