free hit
counters
Plumbing Pipes - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

The series 1 chassis has 4 pipes running the length of the box section. The two large ones are the feed and return for the water to/from the engine. Then there's a smaller one for... now what the hell was it for? And then there is an even smaller one which I think is for the vacuum for the brakes? Or was that for the bigger one - now I can't remember arghhh!! Anyway mine has 3 aluminium pipes and one copper one (not to be confused with the brake pipe which is also copper but runs outside of the chassis and is clipped to the side). What I want to know is, should the smallest pipe also be aluminium? I suspect that mine has been changed for a copper one. And what diamter (internal/external) should the smallest pipe be? Thanks, Paul.

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On My S3 I have the following: -

running through the chassis tunnel

2 large alloy tubes = radiator feed and return

2 smaller tubes = interior heater feed and return

1 small = brake servo vaccum

1 gear linkage

Andy clipped outside

1 clutch hose

1 brake pipe

Hilly

1981 S3 4.2 V8 6 speed (The Mutant)

Mutant V8 Conversion Thread

Knowledge is power .................... apparently.

I don't have the workshop manual or parts manual with me so this may not be very helpful. Since your S1 is a 76, I am going to assume it does NOT have AC otherwise I'd say its the lines to and from the AC condensor.

I don't believe my 77 brakes are vacuum assisted so unless they changed the design.......

Anyway, the manuals should show the lines running through the chassis if you look at the cooloing and braking systems sections. If i cheat and go to the online parts manual published at Sportscarworld.com it shows 2 main water pipes and noted a 3rd (not pictured) for the A/C.

Dom Giangrasso

1977 S1 Esprit - Lagoon Blue

My car doesn't have air conditioning. I think the larger of the two small pipes might be for the heater and the smaller one for the vacuum? Can anybody confirm this please. Here's a picture of the two pipes...

Thanks, Paul.

Edited by Paul Coleman

The small one is the vacuum pipe and still has the rubber grommet where it comes through the floor section by the brake lines.

Not so sure about the larger one i think its the heater........

Edited by AJay

Okay we've decided what the pipes are but can anybody confirm what the vacuum pipe should be - aluminium or copper and what diameter it is? Thanks, Paul.

Ah okay thanks for that Ian. Do you know what diameter it should be? Mine has obviously been replaced at some point.

Cheers, Paul.

I wouldn't think (in fact I often get accused of not thinking) that neither the diameter nor the material of the vacuum pipe to the servo is critical as long as it is big enough and rigid, so it doesn't collapse. If it is big enough to fit the rubber tube to the servo, it should do the job.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE