free hit
counters
Resurrection and development of V8 Project GT1 - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mike_sekinger

Resurrection and development of V8 Project GT1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

So Pleased and  Excited that you got the car back Mike, and very much looking forward to seeing the next chapter unfold. Good Luck ,

Robbie.

• Like 1

Yep, so pleased for you and for us that she's back with her daddy, I already have many daft questions but won't bore you...yet...

Perhaps just one...that tank with breather front right, is this a dry sump V8?

• Like 1

Hey Steve,

That's the oil breather catch tank - just to stop the oil vapour going back into the air intake.  The race engines are dry sump and sitting significantly lower than the road cars.

• Like 1

Fantastic Mike,  So pleased you got your hands back on it,  look forward to the updates and the upgrades start,  or just more pictures of the car will be just as good  :wub:

Well chuffed for you mate  :thumbup:

• Like 1

Happy days! Throughout my early Esprit ownership your monster was a constant reminder of the potency of the Esprit, glad you've got it back mate :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Excellent news, I am looking forward to a flood of technical information and pictures (and maybe one or two spare parts 🙂 )

cheers

-Chris

• Haha 1

What gearbox are you going for Mike?

I'm going to be following my 'partner in crime'  Andra Schrörs and use a universal competition transmission distributed by XShift in CZ.  It's a sequential straight cut dog engagement 6-speed.  Yes, it will be noisy but the torque capacity of this transmission will really allow for some of the 918s true potential to be realised.   Amazingly, the stock V8 bellhousing mates perfectly with the mounting centres of the transmission so no adaptor plate will be necessary.

Here is an image of Andra's unit, which he has already tested successfully in his competition Hill Climb V8 last year.

I'll be needing a custom clutch arrangement and currently looking at ClutchMaster options in the USA.

21691116_621958798191901_854111899_n.jpg

• Love 1

Ooh that does look expensive. Gonna have to tell the missus it was £100 👍

• Haha 2

If Peter Harding can get away with "after a couple of quid...." then why shouldn't I try it. All jokes aside, being able to shift flat at lightening speed will make a world of difference to the overall driving experience.   I'm not convinced about going paddle shift, but that is also an option. 

• Like 2

Go auto with a paddle shift option.

you can then fit a cup holder where the gearstick was. 👍

Hi Mike,

I guess this is the gearbox you reference above https://www.xshiftgearboxes.com/race-gearboxes/universal-1071-dma-sequential-gearbox-6-speed

Any idea on the price, perhaps a bulk buy of two might help? 🙂
How well do the output shafts line up with the original?

On closer inspection the link describes a kit of parts and not a complete assembly, do you know what base box you need to start with, looks like a Subaru? (sounding more expensive already).

That said I would rather retain the H pattern shifter, I met up with Rob C the other week and would steal his box in a heartbeat (GTO racing 6-speed co developed with Williams I think).

cheers

-Chris

Not necessarily talking about the same kit but I found this in a blog on their website...

xshiftgearboxes

For your great interest we are returning to the production of the Subaru R4+ sequential gearbox. This gearbox is capable of 800NM torque and shares many similar attributes as the +Plus gear box, but with a lower price! Kit pricing starts at $9499.99 USD and can have billet transfer gears and racing front differential added in at additional cost. Feel free to contact any of our dealers for additional info!

I'm budgeting for 15K, including changer mechanism.   Still need to come down on a clutch solution, so that the details for the transmission can be confirmed to XShift for a pricing.

As I get more details, I'll be happy to share.

• Like 1

Preparation for engine removal - thankful that the exhaust side of the turbos was still in nice condition so the nuts just wound off the studs.

How often does that happen on a V8? 

IMG_1153.thumb.JPG.5982ad6d67645a30c8ca64cba6dfa091.JPGIMG_1152.thumb.JPG.d4a3c0f0bac50a700b6227b8e9ec6d75.JPG

Drained fluids, removed the bumper and dropped the radiator pack.  Main coolant radiator is leaking and will be replaced with a unit from Pro Alloy, together with modern SPAL fans.

Happy that the oil cooler fixing came apart without any issues (the lines through the chassis were replaced in 2009).

Rad1.thumb.jpg.cd461834b4b2df2c47b400cc4db99963.jpgRad2.thumb.jpg.2549b40d35174c78a1dba9f88574dd0d.jpgRad3.thumb.jpg.2b5e086438da610f7e9a20fe10120497.jpgRad4.thumb.jpg.987e4ff5cb98bc7632cd4b358899235a.jpg

• Like 2

Well done Mike,   I am amazed you still have the factory fans on her !   

59 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Well done Mike,   I am amazed you still have the factory fans on her !   

10 years away.…. the World moved on in the meantime 🙂

• Haha 1