free hit
counters
Speedo increases with gas - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Speedo increases with gas

Vinozio

Dear,
I'm having some troubles with my lotus esprit V8 from 2001.
Whenever I hit the gas when standing still in Neutral the speedo also 
goes up and my kilometers also go up even when the car is not moving.
So I've done by accident 30.000 km + ....

What I've done so far:
- check that the speedo has power, so + & - is working even tried 
directly from the battery
- reset the ECU, battery, sensors via the ODB V8 application I found on 
this forum
- removed the alarm system (I have this extended alarm which kills the 
car if the code is not entered)
- removed the the third wire which feeds the speedo

Nothing helps so far! Has anyone seen this before? Or does anyone know 
where the car reads the data for the speedo?
I have read that the data comes from the ABS sensor, but I don't dare to 
disconnect it and then test.

Kind regards,
Vincent

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Welcome to TLF Vincent. :welcome: 

I can't help with your query, but there are some pretty knowledgable people ( @mike_sekinger) on here who may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Any questions or issues with using the forums, feel free to ask one of us mods. We're here to help. :) 

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Sounds like you have some funky gremlins at work.

Speed is measured from the RH rear VSS (fitted in the RH rear hub carrier) which is provided from the ABS unit to the ECU.  If you have a OBDII scanner running, get someone to monitor the speed data while driving.  If there is a problem with the VSS signal, you should see a P0501 logged. 

Try disconnecting the rear RH VSS and see what the result is.  You should see the CEL and respective P-code getting triggered.  You might then want to trace your loom wiring to confirm that everything is connected correctly.  It may just be a combination of odd wiring and a fault with the Speedo unit.

The associate to TPS signal is really beyond me.  These signals are not adjacent on the ECU and how the Speedo & Tacho are being influenced is really odd.   I'd be fascinated to hear what the culprit is in the end.

Good luck !

1996 Esprit V8, 1998 Esprit V8 GT, 1999 Esprit S350 #002 (Esprit GT1 replica project), 1996 Esprit V8 GT1 (chassis 114-001), 1992 Lotus Omega (927E), 1999 Esprit V8SE, 1999 Esprit S350 #032, 1995 Esprit S4s, 1999 Esprit V8 GT (ex-5th Gear project), 1999 Esprit V8SE ('02 rear)

1999 S350 #002 Esprit GT1 replica

• Gold FFM

I have read on here somewhere about such a daft issue. I’m sure it was an earthing issue behind the rpm and speedo units in the dash. I have read it without doubt as it made me chuckle when I saw it initially. There’s reference in the post from one of the lotus gurus from hethel whom pointed the chap in the right direction

• Like 1

Only here once

I have tried searching for something for you Vincent, but can't find anything.

@Barrykearley might have a better chance to be able to find the topic.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

:thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT.