free hit
counters
carbon mirrors - Page 3 - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

7 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

I'm in talks with someone about making new mirror stalks out of CNC aluminium which are similar dimensions to the TFR single stalk mirrors, but the design will be a bit different (a bit more angled and sharper looking).  It would have a ball joint attached directly to the stalk which means less to go wrong, plus the thread will be tapped into the stalk so it would accept the bottom two bolts from the standard mirrors which will be a proper, solid, mounting solution.

If others are interested, then we could turn it into a batch which would make it more cost effective.  I'm hopeful that this would be the ideal, working solution to the mirrors.  Increased visibility with good quality mounts.

If the price isn’t silly im in 👍🏻

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
15 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

I'm in talks with someone about making new mirror stalks out of CNC aluminium which are similar dimensions to the TFR single stalk mirrors, but the design will be a bit different (a bit more angled and sharper looking).  It would have a ball joint attached directly to the stalk which means less to go wrong, plus the thread will be tapped into the stalk so it would accept the bottom two bolts from the standard mirrors which will be a proper, solid, mounting solution.

If others are interested, then we could turn it into a batch which would make it more cost effective.  I'm hopeful that this would be the ideal, working solution to the mirrors.  Increased visibility with good quality mounts.

I'm in!

The solution is just in time as I'm about to pull to trigger to order a set of metro mirrors.

The thing is that I'm located in Australia!

Sounds interesting, count me in. Would be good to see some CAD renderings when you’re ready.

Any movement on this topic? Just seen a new install on Instagram and getting mirror envy. 

AD391BA2-8FBC-41AE-8EB7-74A9A9E60124.png

I wouldn't get to envious @Andy Norman those mirrors will fall off soon enough lol Last time I spoke to @GFWilliams he was making progress but he's had to leave for the US for a few weeks hence the slight delay in updates I guess.

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

I don't think we will struggle for takers

I have a few options for mounts to be made in aluminium, but as @alias23 says, I’ve been in the US for the last 3 weeks and am here for another week.  I need to send away my mirror stalks to be measured, so will remove them and send them when back.

For sure this will be the ideal solution if you want the Magical Racing mirrors on a nice looking stalk.

• Like 1

A little update, been working on the design in CAD!  It's not 100% final yet (although close) as it needs to go through stress tests before I'd sell to any friends.

My goal with these is to make them as durable as possible, but at the same time, to reduce the thickness of the design as much as possible. It's a fine balance!

The stalks will be made from Aluminium and CNC machined.  I've gone for a sleek design which points up slightly which gives the ball joint a bit more movement for adjustment.

The threads will be tapped into the base, meaning that the original M5 bolts (from factory mirrors) can be used making installation easier.

The finish will be bare aluminium, although I will be getting mine anodised black, so if we do a batch in black we can share the cost of this. Alternatively, people could get them painted if they want them in bodycolour for example.

Costs are of course very important, at the moment, it looks like it'll be around £260, per pair, if we can get 5 sets made. (this is just the stalks, Magical Racing mirrors must be bought separately)

A few people have already expressed interest, please respond on here / pm me if you're provisionally interested.  Payment will be required up front before the production process starts.

Screenshot 2019-05-26 at 20.00.55.jpg

Screenshot 2019-05-26 at 20.00.552.jpg

• Like 1

@GFWilliams seems a bit of a bargain personally I expected £300-350 as I know how much time these things can take to CNC... which I can understand the minimum 5x sets to get this going.

So put me down for a set and I guess we should get this list started properly.

@alias23

@GFWilliams

Those who said ‘in’ time to get on the list 😉

• Like 1

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

@GFWilliams seems a bit of a bargain personally I expected £300-350 as I know how much time these things can take to CNC... which I can understand the minimum 5x sets to get this going.

So put me down for a set and I guess we should get this list started properly.

@alias23

@GFWilliams

Those who said ‘in’ time to get on the list 😉

I’m in too. Anodized Black too. 

Edited by Andy Norman

Will these fit an Elise/VX220?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

41 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Will these fit an Elise/VX220?

I believe they would, but ideally would need to double check the distance between the two mounting bolts to know 100%.

Ok. When I get my VX back I'll try to check. If so, I'm in!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Without wishing to be a pain (and certainly without wishing to call into question George’s aesthetic judgement!) I rather prefer the Transforged “twin arm” mount design to the single arm being proposed. Not only does it look more OEM (but obviously significantly better!) but also I think the little black triangle where the mount fixes to the door/window looks a bit odd with only a single arm attached to it. It kind of looks like the second arm is missing if that makes sense?

Fully appreciate this is entirely subjective and happy to go with the flow, but just thought I would throw it out there in case anyone else felt similarly.

Either way, definitely an improvement!

Thanks

8 hours ago, Mattmahope said:

Without wishing to be a pain (and certainly without wishing to call into question George’s aesthetic judgement!) I rather prefer the Transforged “twin arm” mount design to the single arm being proposed. Not only does it look more OEM (but obviously significantly better!) but also I think the little black triangle where the mount fixes to the door/window looks a bit odd with only a single arm attached to it. It kind of looks like the second arm is missing if that makes sense?

Fully appreciate this is entirely subjective and happy to go with the flow, but just thought I would throw it out there in case anyone else felt similarly.

Thanks

Personally, I actually agree with you, but the reality is that when creating the mounts with aluminium, it's a lot lot cheaper and simpler to do a single arm.  The price would be almost double to do a twin arm setup, plus they'd have to be sided and couldn't be symmetrical on both sides.

• Like 1

Thanks @GFWilliams, makes total sense.

And just to have a rough idea of pricing, are we looking at approx £260 for the stalks, plus £490 for the mirrors themselves (as per @alias23post above)?

If that is correct, for that sort of money, wouldn’t the Reverie option previously discussed be worth pursuing?

1 minute ago, Mattmahope said:

Thanks @GFWilliams, makes total sense.

And just to have a rough idea of pricing, are we looking at approx £260 for the stalks, plus £490 for the mirrors themselves (as per @alias23post above)?

If that is correct, for that sort of money, wouldn’t the Reverie option previously discussed be worth pursuing?

The Reverie isn't a proven solution IMO. The Magical Racing mirrors are proven to have good visibility and they're well made.

Also, for a few of the people on the list, they already have the mirrors, so they just need to buy the new stalks now.  I accept that it's a larger cost to stomach if you also need to buy the MR Mirrors too, but I've kept the costs as low as possible for the stalks (I'm not taking any profit at all and am paying full price for my stalks).  When the time comes, I'll be getting everyone to pay the machinist direct as I don't want to run it through my company and have to add VAT unnecessarily.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2019 at 02:14, Mattmahope said:

Thanks

Absolutely agree. The twin arm is far superior look

Magical Racing mirrors as in the mirror house itself on its own is circa £375-400 delivered to UK inc all taxes/vat

So with George’s stems your in the £660 price range.

www.alias23.com

Yes piece arrived today and was so solid that we have decided we can make the mirrors thinner which saves weight and will look better. 

Mom honestly flabbergasted how solid it is mounted, this really is a proper solution!

F6841486-4627-4055-8374-D65988AB126B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Looking very good! I still think £260 or whatever they cost is a bloody bargain for a proper cnc solution! Will you be sharing a revised CAD drawing of the thinner design? Ref the third hole is this standard or will require additional drilling? Cant remember if I had that middle hole...

PS> Im assuming some high speed testing will be needed before launching officially ;)

www.alias23.com