free hit
counters
Given the choice: S4, S4S or GT3? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Given the choice: S4, S4S or GT3?

RobinB5

• Gold FFM

After a year of looking to take the Esprit plunge for the first time, I'm honing in on options...

If you had to chose between buying an S4, an S4S or a GT3, which one would you go for? How does the maintenance of each compare? What performance differences are there?

(Strange to see an abundance of yellow and orange GT3s go on sale recently!?)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

According to some reports the GT3 is the one to go for as it drives so well but personally, out of the three, I would go for an S4S and leave some money aside to do the brakes if they've not been updated. I prefer the look of the S4S. Performance would be relatively similar and probably depend on how each one is set up.

• Like 2

• Gold FFM

Late GT3, hands down the most sorted Esprit.  At 200ccs fewer it's a tad pedestrian from a standing start, but soon catches up when it spools.  A sort of 'Esprit-lite'.  But of all the Esprits, the nicest drive.  But if you want grunt and presence and a plush interior, S4s.

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

• Gold FFM

There’s no real difference maintenance-wise, they’re all much of a muchness. Later GT3 has Kelsey Hayes ABS, which is superior to the Delco Moraine, however there is a solution for the latter. After that, I think it depends on your personal preference for cosmetics. S4s was my choice.

Margate Exotics.

S4s is a solid car and it's rarity will ensure stronger return on investment with time. That said I personally like all three of them equally much. You can't go wrong with any of them to be honest. 

• Like 1

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

A Post ‘98 GT3 hands down.  Not only are they well regarded, but there are more on the market right now than there has been in a long time.  You’ve actually got some choice!  And, being the last 4 pot model, they have to be the most sorted and therefore reliable.  And the interior update really does make a massive difference.

Sudders and Dany

Don't discount the Turbo SE! Its a real he-man car, rough in all the right places and no PAS in sight.

16 hours ago, RobinB5 said:

Vanya, my he-man days are far far behind me. In fact I don't think I ever had any! I've heard only good things about the Esprit PAS system.

Oh for sure it's a fantastic PAS system...but it is a PAS system. :D

• Like 1