free hit
counters
Evora collection & immediate 1000mile road trip! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content


Evora collection & immediate 1000mile road trip!


Recommended Posts

Hello All,

I’ve recently paid a deposit on this car https://www.lotussilverstone.co.uk/vehicle-details/Lotus-Evora-U143/ and planning collection on the 20th April.  

As I don’t live in the UK so far been a blind purchase, hopefully Silverstone live up to their excellent reputation and the car will be fully sorted.    They have so far been very helpful with taking photos, making short videos and sending them via WhatsApp & Email.   Plus they will do a full 8th year service and a whole list of other jobs including airbag clips etc.

Directly after collection “le tunnel booked for the 20th” i’ll be heading back home to Győr Hungary needing to arrive at work 8am on the 23rd.   I’ve driven the direct route a few times in the past in my S Class and more recently Discovery 5, both cars being well suited for this type of journey.    Never have I attempted something like this is a car similar to the Evora....

I’m looking for any advice.

Have any members done a similar road trip and can provide any tips?  

Does anyone know of some great roads / mountain passes, which would be kind of en route?

I intend to shoot some drone video’s using the DJI and will be sure to upload video, photos plus updates here.

Thanks 

Mike

.

F37C6F57-A30B-46F4-91EE-1101232B9509.jpeg

CE06749B-767D-4B42-A3F9-03B874080F0E.jpeg

0794AA15-364F-49AF-AB89-211019CF55AA.jpeg

Edited by Mycos79
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bit late showing this as you already know it, but confirmation of the loads of extra wheel space you get in the large vehicle wagons.

make sure you go via to tunnel oversize vehicles ...  ie caravans , vans and coaches... or cars with roof boxes etc   as the metal tracks either side of the runway  in the standard size are too close

Im sure when you get to the tunnel just go in the 'high' que. 

Posted Images

Congratulations Mycos79! 

Having done a ton of research yet having only sat in (but not driven) an Evora 400, I bought my 400 last year at a dealership almost 1000 miles from where I live so I had the same concerns about a long road trip.  However, the car was superb!  The first day included a couple of hours on beautiful Colorado mountain roads and the rest of the trip was high speed highway driving.  You will enjoy the trip and it will provide some great memories of your new car!

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

make sure you go via to tunnel oversize vehicles ...  ie caravans , vans and coaches... or cars with roof boxes etc   as the metal tracks either side of the runway  in the standard size are too close together to squeeze down without trashing your wheels

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Champale said:

Congratulations Mycos79! 

Having done a ton of research yet having only sat in (but not driven) an Evora 400, I bought my 400 last year at a dealership almost 1000 miles from where I live so I had the same concerns about a long road trip.  However, the car was superb!  The first day included a couple of hours on beautiful Colorado mountain roads and the rest of the trip was high speed highway driving.  You will enjoy the trip and it will provide some great memories of your new car!

 

Thanks for the reassurance,   I’ll be sure to take a mixed route home.   German autobahn will certainly be part of it,  now just trying to find an interesting route across Austria.

4 hours ago, Bruss said:

Try contacting Pierre ( series_one). He has often done a UK to Budapest journey.

Thanks,. Will do.

2 hours ago, andyj007 said:

make sure you go via to tunnel oversize vehicles ...  ie caravans , vans and coaches... or cars with roof boxes etc   as the metal tracks either side of the runway  in the standard size are too close together to squeeze down without trashing your wheels

 

 

 

Oops,. Already booked standard flexplus .... I’ll check if the booking can be modified.  If not I’ll be the one creeping down the train causing a blockage.

1 hour ago, tim_marra said:

Or get the ferry....

I considered this but last car I had on the ferry got dinged by a soccer mom espace.

Link to post
Share on other sites

just head left when through final passport control once your time is called... cant miss the sign its huge on the top gantry...   no extra fee to pay... 

 

you wont creep down the train... that wont help  the evora is too wide.  it would be too close and damage will occur now matter how carefull you try. especially if you get double stacked...  

these are the oversize ones

 

 

 

mclaren_to_monaco_day1-126.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 21gg said:

Im sure when you get to the tunnel just go in the 'high' que. 

Yep, they will stop you if the high cue booth is in operation (it isn't always) but just politely tell them of the problem with their high kerbs and narrow lanes with your low profile tyres and they will let you through. I usually book the high load but have occasionally forgotten and had no problems getting on.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

agreed, if the high curbs damdge your car you can claim back  damages from them for sending you there..  so they happily will send you to wide vehicles  

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91861

oh and be sure to have a rev out in the carriage  :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, andyj007 said:

just head left when through final passport control once your time is called... cant miss the sign its huge on the top gantry...   no extra fee to pay... 

 

you wont creep down the train... that wont help  the evora is too wide.  it would be too close and damage will occur now matter how carefull you try. especially if you get double stacked...  

these are the oversize ones

 

 

 

mclaren_to_monaco_day1-126.jpg

Thank you all for bringing this to my attention,  I just called Euro Tunnel explained the situation and they modified my booking to oversized vehicles,  no additional charges.    I’d have been gutted if I damaged a wheel especially as they are just now undergoing a full diamond cut refurbishment...

10 hours ago, andyj007 said:

agreed, if the high curbs damdge your car you can claim back  damages from them for sending you there..  so they happily will send you to wide vehicles  

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91861

oh and be sure to have a rev out in the carriage  :)

 

If they had tried to charge me for making the booking I’d have explained what this link confirms, as it turns out they accepted the change FOC and were very nice about it.  I’ll be sure to have a rev out,  Larini exhaust might set off some car alarms if I’m lucky 😂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mycos79 said:

Thank you all for bringing this to my attention,  I just called Euro Tunnel explained the situation and they modified my booking to oversized vehicles,  no additional charges.    I’d have been gutted if I damaged a wheel especially as they are just now undergoing a full diamond cut refurbishment...

If they had tried to charge me for making the booking I’d have explained what this link confirms, as it turns out they accepted the change FOC and were very nice about it.  I’ll be sure to have a rev out,  Larini exhaust might set off some car alarms if I’m lucky 😂

That's good news and having done the tunnel a few times now, I wouldn't risk the narrow carriages.

I was on a group tour down to the South of France a few years back and the organiser had booked all 8 cars on the wide carriages.  Unfortunately one of our group in an F Type got himself in to the wrong lane and went into the standard carriages and after bouncing off both sides of the guide rails, managed to damaged all 4 of his wheels

I've had other friends with ruined alloys/tyres and although you can claim for the damage, with ever more complicated diamond cut alloys appearing on cars, it's just not worth the time and hassle.

I think it's still free to go on the wider carriages, but ironically the tour operators get charged more to choose that option.

I remember my mate with the F Type telling me there was about 15mm clearance on each side at the rear and obviously you would have to maintain that over a drive in and out distance of maybe 75 metres I'm guessing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mike,

 

I do it all the time. Change your dates - Drive straight from pick up on Saturday to Anglesey, join us for our annual old men in awesome Loti track day at Anglesey and then drive back in convoy with me on Monday morning. You will be home about 4am Tue. Perfect. 

 

There are 2 spaces left at Anglesey and accom can be sorted. Join us!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, au-yt said:

Follow up story please the thread so far has been very informative especially for an Aussie!

 

I’ll certainly keep a running log of the journey and keep you all updated.   Photos and commentary.  👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2019 at 08:38, series_one said:

Hi Mike,

 

I do it all the time. Change your dates - Drive straight from pick up on Saturday to Anglesey, join us for our annual old men in awesome Loti track day at Anglesey and then drive back in convoy with me on Monday morning. You will be home about 4am Tue. Perfect. 

 

There are 2 spaces left at Anglesey and accom can be sorted. Join us!

Hi,

Thank you so much for the invitation, it’s amazing how open you all are to new members.   I’d have very much liked to join but I feel I’d be tempting fate going from collection to track day directly.   I can imagine the YouTube video,  owns car for 4 hours and bins it on the 1st bend.  😂.   Let me get some miles under my belt and I’ll be sure to attend and join in these events.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So advice. What can I tell you?

1. Enjoy yourself.

2. Take lots of pictures and videos.

3. There are speed limits in some places, so be aware of those.

4. Have some painkillers ready at home for your jaw from all the smiling.

5. And make sure you go over to the Introductions area and say hi in there as well, you naughty boy , you. :) 

  • Like 2

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mycos79 said:

Hi,

Thank you so much for the invitation, it’s amazing how open you all are to new members.   I’d have very much liked to join but I feel I’d be tempting fate going from collection to track day directly.   I can imagine the YouTube video,  owns car for 4 hours and bins it on the 1st bend.  😂.   Let me get some miles under my belt and I’ll be sure to attend and join in these events.  

Or just come along for the social, you will be made very welcome and you will get plenty of passenger rides during the day too.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Or you could do what Tim said and not what I said. Which would also be a lot of fun.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gold FFM

A bit late showing this as you already know it, but confirmation of the loads of extra wheel space you get in the large vehicle wagons.

176388440_DavidHoliday2018013.thumb.JPG.6a595cd127eb121230d39d0e5b939ad2.JPG

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Purchased a brand new Sport 410 and drove it home 1400 miles, trip was pleasant and car great the next summer I took on a 3500 trip, todays up 2 1/2 days back

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/04/2019 at 11:27, tim_marra said:

Or just come along for the social, you will be made very welcome and you will get plenty of passenger rides during the day too.

 

On 11/04/2019 at 13:18, ramjet said:

Or you could do what Tim said and not what I said. Which would also be a lot of fun.

Thanks I really appreciate the invitation,  unfortunately I’ll pass on this occasion.    I’ll have a look for a forum area where future meets / track days are planned.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...