free hit
counters
Elite/Eclat 45th anniversary at Castle Combe 25 May - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
rjwooll

Elite/Eclat 45th anniversary at Castle Combe 25 May

We're planning to have an anniversary display of Elites and Eclats at this year's Club Lotus Trackday which is being held on 25 May - so this is a call for anyone with an Elite or Eclat to bring their car along. See http://www.clublotus.co.uk/events/Club- ... -2019.aspx for more details. The Elan M100 group are celebrating their 30th anniversary there, and both Mike Kimberley and Peter Stephens will be present.

Please let me know if you plan to visit with your Elite or Eclat so that I can organise an adequate display area.
image.thumb.jpeg.c650fdf7f03cb7a91bea130664371afd.jpeg
Anniversary window stickers (22.5cm x 5cm - as above) are available from me at £5 each plus 80p p&p per order - just pm me with your requirements. Revenue from sales will fund anniversary merchandise etc.

We may well be producing mugs with the sticker design - watch this space!

All the best,

Richard

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
15 hours ago, esprit s2 said:

Would love a mug! Just checking with the boss to see If I can make this.

Will have mugs by then (and in time for Donington) - look forward to seeing you there (if you get a pass out!)

Richard

Looking forward to it,

I’ll be there.. but unfortunately my Eclat will not, as I’m only a 1/4 of the way through replacing the loom 

• Like 1

At the moment, It looks like we'll have 4 Elites and Eclats at the Club Lotus trackday so there's still time to bring your car along! I'll be finalising space with Club Lotus at the weekend. Excels welcome to join the celebration as always!

Looking forward to it - and the weather should be better than it was at Donington!

Cheers, Richard

MIne will be 40 years old on Thursday....a little to young for this party 😉

Neil

On 14/05/2019 at 20:13, Neil D. said:

MIne will be 40 years old on Thursday....a little to young for this party 😉

Neil

Congratulations - but can't you come and join us?

Richard

• Like 1

Would love too, but long drive from Geneva ! Will attempt to make the half century festivities.

Neil

Confirmed with Club Lotus today that we'll have an area for 10 cars reserved for us, so that means 5 Elites/Eclats that I know about, plus any stragglers and a few Excels. I have agreed to marshal the area so plan to be there around 8.00am. Trackday proceedings start at 9.00.

I'll contact those I know are coming with my contact number; if you want to come and haven't said yet, now is your chance!

Looking forward to Saturday, Richard

• Like 1

I'm very pleased to say that Peter Lucas, the Lotus design engineer heavily involved in the Lotus 7 - especially the series 4 - and the Europa, as well as being responsible for the Elite wheels, will be joining us at Castle Combe. He has an Elite which unfortunately has experienced last minute diff seal issues, so will be coming in alternative transport. He's a very interesting guy.

Cheers, Richard

I sadly wont make it, as this weekend is the only one I have to attempt some repairs.

I hope you all have an amazing day!

Dunc

I too would like to be there in the Eclat but I am running the engine in so the trip to CC would take too long. I hope all goes well.

17 hours ago, Drawfiler said:

I too would like to be there in the Eclat but I am running the engine in so the trip to CC would take too long. I hope all goes well.

Thats a shame - we only have one (declared) Eclat at the moment. Anyway thanks for your wishes and you should see some pics on this thread next week.

Cheers, Richard

My car is ready to go. A quick polish later on tonight after the kids are in bed. 

Will be leaving at 0500 so should be there around 0800.

• Like 1

Well done! So far we are plus one but minus two!

See you tomorrow, Richard

Really enjoyed it today and nice to meet new people.

Following the other two Elites on the track was brilliant but I struggled to keep up! 

Sorry I had to shoot off after the parade laps. She wanted me home!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, esprit s2 said:

Really enjoyed it today and nice to meet new people.

Following the other two Elites on the track was brilliant but I struggled to keep up! 

Sorry I had to shoot off after the parade laps. She wanted me home!

Great to see you and your lovely Elite too, Paul. As far as I could see you kept up pretty well.

It's a good job you weren't in the lead or we'd all have followed you home!

Cheers, Richard

Fantastic write up Richard and a great read,  cheers for posting,  I never knew the MX5 was potentionally the downfall of the M100 :cry:

A

Thanks again Richard for coordinating the display, and it was fun chasing you around the circuit with my rear-view mirror full of Paul's brown car.  Who knew you could get up to 80mph on a few parade laps?  Why wait for the 40th Excel anniversary in 2022 when it will be the 40th anniversary of the S2.2 next year!!!!!!

My new camera-phone did a half decent job of a portrait of my car.

745249052_CastleCombe20191(2).thumb.jpg.09f9c3df41a8382c86e5d5060667391b.jpg

Leigh

• Like 2

Excellent point about the 2.2s in 2020 Mr Greenham!

We must try to get as many 2.2s together as we can; I've already done some work on identifying Elite and Eclat owners posting on forums, so I'll continue that with an additional focus.

Nice picture too, and the parade laps were great fun. Peter Lucas was in my car and managed to video the session from the passenger seat; he was good enough to say my apexes were improving on the second lap. He was recounting his days of motorcycle racing at Castle Combe while we were out - an activity he shared in his youth with Richard Morley, the Lotus MD at the time of the Elite launch. They were clearly quite accomplished as the race Peter was telling me about had Mike Hailwood on the front row.

There is an amusing story about how he and Richard Morley came to be working at Lotus, when Colin Chapman had explicitly banned the employment of anyone who had been involved with motorbikes!

Cheers, Richard

Definitely up for this!

16 hours ago, rjwooll said:

We must try to get as many 2.2s together as we can; I've already done some work on identifying Elite and Eclat owners posting on forums, so I'll continue that with an additional focus.