free hit
counters
Loxus Eclat V8 - Page 3 - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nickp1

Loxus Eclat V8

56 minutes ago, Nickp1 said:

Yes I believe it does. I'm looking to use the original Lotus mounting point on the chassis but fabricate my own trailing arm to triangulate it all.

So, pretty much a tubular replacement for the Lotus arm? The original pressed-steel Jag arm (as I recall), was inline, which I thought was strange given the arc it would describe, but then I guess Jag chassis men knew way more than I did. I think the forward Metalastik bushes used to wear quickly, though.

I’m intrigued now, so going to see if I can find some old photos of my old chassis.

Margate Exotics.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
2 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

So, pretty much a tubular replacement for the Lotus arm? The original pressed-steel Jag arm (as I recall), was inline, which I thought was strange given the arc it would describe, but then I guess Jag chassis men knew way more than I did. I think the forward Metalastik bushes used to wear quickly, though.

I’m intrigued now, so going to see if I can find some old photos of my old chassis.

Yeah tubular or box section with a poly top hat bush either end I reckon. The trailing arm shouldn't have any effect on the suspension arc with the jag stuff, its just there to add strength to the bottom arm through triangulation. 

Some steady progress on getting the Jag diff mounted into the chassis this week. I've made a top plate from 3mm steel and managed to bolt the diff into position to check prop alignment etc. I've cut away just enough chassis to get it into position but will need to remove more to allow room for the inboard discs and calipers. Before I do this I intend to strengthen the chassis by welding in 1" box section along the length of the rear section then add several brace pieces to triangulate it all. Once happy with the top I'll flip the chassis to make a frame to tie the original mounting points into the base of the Jag diff. Unfortunately there wasn't really a way to rubber / poly mount the diff so the whole thing will be solidly mounted, as it is in my kit car and many TVRs apparently.

78042946_552978492204627_6704052797794418688_n.jpg

78913902_437707453806812_1100235480089231360_n.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Nick, 

A new years present for you. MOT's from 1983 to July 2007. Also some photos of the body-off restoration. So you can sleep soundly knowing the chassis is OK.  

They were stuck in a box when I sold the car last year. The engine is now in my Elite. Not an ideal situation but worth keeping tabs just in case I ever get the original one back in or the car goes to someone else. 

PM me your address and I'll get them in the post. 

Best, Al 

IMG_1588 (1).JPG

• Like 2

Bit more progress on mounting the Jag diff. This is a lot more challenging than getting the engine / box to fit 🙄😂

82541903_3231467583535084_4720712277177663488_n.jpg

78395054_521621918449689_2630565132614238208_n.jpg

82379552_1760218687448670_1876696856319229952_n.jpg

• Like 1

Last part of the diff mounting process is rebuilding the rear supports. All very tight around the Jag diff and bottom arms, but if it misses it misses 😉

82221129_2690109017750097_6194897485849165824_n.jpg

82906187_521233691819670_3226049686641049600_n.jpg

Nice.

Difficult to see from the pics, but have you thought about the caliper access?

Margate Exotics.

Just now, Chillidoggy said:

Nice.

Difficult to see from the pics, but have you thought about the caliper access?

I don't even know what calipers I'll be using yet tbh 😂

Possibly VAG, it'll work out I'm sure......maybe 😉

Just now, Nickp1 said:

I don't even know what calipers I'll be using yet tbh 😂

Possibly VAG, it'll work out I'm sure......maybe 😉

You're not using the inboard Jag calipers, then?

Margate Exotics.

Just now, Chillidoggy said:

You're not using the inboard Jag calipers, then?

Not if I can help it. They used 2 calipers with a seperate hand brake one. Some VAGs (Mk5 Golf) use a very similar sized disc 260 x 12mm. If I can devise a mount to get it on there then it'll be much simpler / lighter / cheaper. But yes they'll stiil be inboard 😀

Here is a pic of the tubular trailing arms that Spyder used to make for Elite's and Eclats. Might be a helpful reference. (Spyder lost the dimensions years ago and cant make them any more - they are very heavy compared with the lotus box steel ones).

Spyder trailing arms.JPG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dunc said:

Here is a pic of the tubular trailing arms that Spyder used to make for Elite's and Eclats. Might be a helpful reference. (Spyder lost the dimensions years ago and cant make them any more - they are very heavy compared with the lotus box steel ones).

Spyder trailing arms.JPG

For Jag or Lotus rear end?

Lotus I'd guess. The Jag setup works the opposite way to the Lotus. The Jags bottom arm controls wheel alignment and is very substantial. The trailing arm is only there to add support through triangulation.

Edited by Nickp1

Lotus Elite/Eclat tubular trailing arms from Spyder engineering. Also known as rocking horse poopie....

Found a Spyder price list from the 90’s the info on Spring rates might be useful when you get to the front suspension 

unfortunately there’s no info on their Diff conversions 

B5017AB2-36C2-458B-BCA5-92D7501AFF46.jpeg

9 hours ago, Straker said:

Found a Spyder price list from the 90’s the info on Spring rates might be useful when you get to the front suspension 

unfortunately there’s no info on their Diff conversions 

B5017AB2-36C2-458B-BCA5-92D7501AFF46.jpeg

Cheers, I've done a few calculations on spring rates and travel for the rear ones but not the fronts as yet. I'm going full coilovers all round and they will be harder/ shorter springs but not by a massive amount.

Spyder also had notes on the rear spring settlings, I don’t think they’ll be of much use as your design is different 

33B9F2F3-D115-4842-937E-4B5277024022.jpeg