free hit
counters
Grand tour - Ford Cortina's - Carlton / Cortina / Sunbeam - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nelly

Grand tour - Ford Cortina's

This does have a sort of Lotus link so bear with me.

Just seen the latest GT episode (last of the series) and have to say I loved it.  It was basically about the possible passing of the Mondeo, and tracing its history all the way back to the Cortina.

There was some great footage of JC driving a Mk1 Lotus Cortina around Cadwell Park -but I think he absolutely nailed it with regards to the "class system" of cars.  As someone who's Dad had 3 Cortina's, everything he said rang so true.  I used to love getting the Ford brochures and seeing the differences between the base, L, GL and Ghia models.

We live in different times now, where SUV's and faceless cars rule the roost.  I think 70's and 80's cars were better, not in terms of built, safety and reliability, but character and personality.  Its no wonder I find classic cars more interesting now than modern stuff.

Anyone who grew up with a Cortina owning Dad I am sure will either agree or find it a great watch (have to say this series has been the best yet).

Part of the Lotus Cortina segment below:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I’ll have to watch that when I get back home this week. I always loved my Mk 1 Lotus Cortina. It was the first of a few Cortinas I owned from the 60’s into the 70’s up to the coke bottle Mk 3. For me, though, there’s just something about the styling of the Mk 1 that still does it for me even after all these years. 

That was a great slot. It saddens me when the trio prove what they are capable of in producing informative enjoyable articles like this (also the Jim Clark one) but mostly just play up the populist X Factor audience.

• Like 1

In the garage no-one can hear you scream