free hit
counters
Type 130 - Lotus Evija - Page 15 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Type 130 - Lotus Evija

11 minutes ago, NedaSay said:

I'll bet you 50p that they will own them soon....

Wish it worked that way, but the only expedient way to gain use of the word 'Lotus' rather than 'Lotus NYO' is to purchase the mark owning company or offer them a licensing fee that they cannot refuse.  Its been a year now to try and get it back, but in teh mean time Lotus is branding their 2020 edition cars with the extra 3 letters.

Edited by Julian73

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My little finger told me that the negotiations with Youngman and the Singaporian concern that do own the rights to the brand in China/Asia are ongoing 

7 hours ago, 100th_Idiot said:

Sort of ish. 18 mins with a 350kWh charger. 9 mins with an 800kW charger which doesn't exist but anyone paying this money can install a bespoke charger. Even 18 mins is impressive.

My domestic electricity supply has a 100 amp fuse, so the highest power available would be 24kW. Charging at home is going to be much slower. I suppose that you'd also have to have an industrial grade electricity supply installed to use one of these fast chargers.

Yes. 7kW is the typical sized home charger. 

Looking at just how much time HyperCars spend sat tucked in a climate controlled garage - charge times probably aren’t an issue

Only here once

At 350V (like Tesla uses), 350kW requires a charging current of 1000A! That's a mighty big cable... Also, a 10% loss in the charger means 35kW needs to be dissipated. That's enough to heat a moderate house in winter! It's calculations like that that keep me from believing in full EV. But totally irrelevant for the Evija. Nobody will use it for the daily commute, so charging time is irrelevant, as long as it's ready to go in the weekend (edited, Barry just beat me to it). The fast charger might be useful on trackdays and such. Easily switchable batteries would be even better, as they also avoid the problem of having to start with a hot battery after recharging. But those are all general remarks.

I can only add to all the other comments, Lotus has done a great show and the Evija should have noticeable impact on how the public sees the brand.

Filip

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

3 hours ago, NedaSay said:

Ok just  got back home after a day spent in a black zone  with only 10' spent in a zone with enough coverage to have a looks at 3 pics and the official clip... after watching the carfection clip all I can say is What a car!!!  those seats, those pedals, this interior, those details inside and outside, seriously hope they will all trickle down lower down the range.... This is a very cohesive package and that black badge, I love this black badge... I also like the fact that the lotus brand is back on the brake calipers... details I know but so exquisite here.

I love Paul from  Supercar of London Youtube channel genuine kid like emotion. 

thanks for posting that, ive not seen that guy before.. i really liked his style enthusiasm,  plus, moving the camera around a-lot really shows how wonderful this car is..

looking at this car this morning it just looks just  as if not more epic this morning....   its a good time to own a lotus and be on this bandwagon!

Anyone posted a pic of the Multimatic inboard rear suspension through the glass panel....asking for a geek 😁

Black n gold

Gorgeous looking car. There will have to be some changes to the styling/aero for the inclusion of number plate mounting. Not sure about the utility of those motorised cameras. Neat mind. Most exciting to me though...hopefully we are looking at a close basis for the new Esprit. Standard doors and mirrors, but otherwise, if it is EV only as i expect, much of the aero emphasis can be retained. 

Twice the price i was expecting, but also twice the power. In track mode i wonder how quickly the batteries will discharge. 30 minutes? Less?

I am going to cobble together a speculative (very) Hethel lap time based on power to weight and assumptions about aero, grip, torque vectoring. Should be mighty...fun if nothing else.

Lotus will already have taken orders and well done to everybody. The future appears bright with Geely.

The next generation of production cars (currently in development) will be combustion, though as mentioned earlier they will take design cues from the Type 130.

My first thought was that it still looks like a proper car......

I feel that it would have been impossible for Russell Carr to commit to something that didn't work in the real world.  That's just not Lotus.

A few people have said that it's more Supercar than Hypercar......I think the Valkyrie is the reason for that, but that car aside, I think it compares well with the P1, 918 and La Ferrari.  The Senna is a bit of a red herring in some respects.  It's a great machine, but a bit pig ugly to my eyes.  

Given that the initial designs started 2 years ago, I find myself thinking that Carr was maybe asked to start designing a halo car without having a full and final brief.  The 130 could almost have been dialled down a bit and ended up as an Esprit.  I could be wrong on that and I'm still slightly sceptical about real world range and actual charging times away from the high capacity chargers mentioned to get the times down to 10 and 18 minutes quoted

As a stand alone design......10/10 and a great step forward for the brand and the future. 

If a new Esprit ever happens it will be very expensive and a long way off. Best to enjoy the old one and wait and see what Lotus comes out with next.

We wouldn’t have an Esprit if Lotus had been hung up on nostalgia. It was very bold and resolutely forward looking. The Evija is the shape of things to come and looks to be taking Lotus places beyond Dany Bahar’s wildest dreams!

• Like 2

Wonderful thing. Not quite as sci-fi to look at as I expected, but all the better for that in my opinion. 

One question: why the thing about the yellow only Lotus Cavalcade prior to the unveiling? I was slightly disappointed by the chosen colour of silver for the launch car. I think a more interesting bright colour would have been more impressive than the retail silver favoured by German brands.

57 minutes ago, LotusDan said:

The next generation of production cars (currently in development) will be combustion, though as mentioned earlier they will take design cues from the Type 130.

Given that the Halo car is all electric it would surprise me greatly if they didn't use hybrid tech. But we will see!

some on twitter (including an F1 owner ) are saying its going away from Lotus origins, being to heavy and to expensive. And it will never be built.  They are saying Lotus is lightweight and cheaper  and its point was it beat the more expensive rivals, by being that. Not sure if that's correct.

I think it looks a stunning vehicle. 

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Other than ~70hp more and ~50kWh less, how is this materially different from Pininfarina Battista and the likes? :rolleyes:

Concerning my earlier posting about battery life...the Evija is able to be driven flat out for 7 minutes (before the batteries begin to lose performance). Clearly more than enough for a Nurburgring effort...

'Az it got a cupholder then?

Where do I put me bag?

:getmecoat:

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

53 minutes ago, Nathan Pitman said:

Given that the Halo car is all electric it would surprise me greatly if they didn't use hybrid tech. But we will see!

Has to be... it's something Lotus can lead the field on, very excited to see where this leads. 

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

The short version:  Woow! 

Very well done Lotus!

For the few who know the difference

11 hours ago, Bibs said:

That is correct. 250 mile range too and don't forget 0-185 is sub 9 seconds! 

Bibs. Any news on when The Lotus Forums long term test car will be arriving? 😜

• Haha 1

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!