free hit
counters
Type 130 - Lotus Evija - Page 16 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Type 130 - Lotus Evija

Who says I didn't drive that one home? :lol:

• Haha 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
11 minutes ago, Bibs said:

Who says I didn't drive that one home? :lol:

Because you need a dinghy or hovercraft to get home..😁

• Haha 2

Black n gold

I think this is starting to make EV tack car viable.  From what I hear, the VW group will soon be rolling out their 300KW chargers so you can top the Evija in ~20mins and if the batteries can hang on for ~20 mins round a track this could be a very viable track play thing for the wealthy.

Obviously you're not going to see every track with a super rapid charger eg I don't see Thruxton getting one installed any time soon but I can see the big tracks such as Silverstone, Spa, Yas Marina etc where these kind of super expensive and rare play things are occasionally used, would install one in the not too distant future if we get more high performance sports cars being released.

Or how powerful are the diesel generators that Formula E uses to charge their cars?  Possibly the owner of an Evija can rent out for the day?

36 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Or how powerful are the diesel generators that Formula E uses to charge their cars?

Side note to say the FIA really need to get that sorted (ie banned) as it clearly makes no sense to have electric cars charged with Diesel engines!

i am curious to see if/how quick it sell out. They clearly have mark of interest for a fair bit of potential cars. It does feel like though that the target market will be very close to the Pininfarina, I doubt they will both sell out. I guess the pininfarina guys were the least happy of what was going on yesterday night.

it will probably be down to the commercial teams to know which one will sell most. I hope they will give updates on sale. 

Aston is making 1m of EBITDA margin per Valkyrie, I wonder what this car will make for Lotus.

Another upside - no problems with track noise limits!

Given the EU rule that electric vehicles have to make a noise, will you be able to choose the sountrack - V6, V8, V12 :)

• Haha 1

Yep it is absolutely ridiculous they have generators powered by fossil fuels and also swapping cars as the batteries can't last a full race. I get its a bit of chicken and egg situation, where the tech needs to grow before its viable in a race series but then we need the race series to push development for the tech ... but I think it could have been handled better.

Regarding the sales, I think there is room in the market to sell 130 Evija's.  I don't know how many Pininfarina are intending to sell but if its a similar number then think they should both sell out.

I sure I read somewhere the boss or someone high up at Aston Martin said they could have sold 5 times the allocation for the Valkyrie but they kept the limit to keep it exclusive and they have a pipeline of new cars that they intend to bring out after the Valkyrie.  I'm sure there is a bit of salesmanship in that but I'm sure there is also some truth in it too.  So there are certainly more very wealthy car fans in the world than I would have predicted!

Why limit your self to noises of current engines?  I'd have Star Wars pod racer sounds coming out of mine! 😄

• Like 2

So ...the morning after reflection and after reviewing the impact on the internet.....my thoughts...

• I expected the styling to be more "way out".  On reflection I think it better for not going that way.  The rear end does give it some wow factor, but that comes from the tunnels which are there for a purpose not just mad bling.
  • Inside... love the fact there is no massive touch-screen.  Simple to use buttons, less distraction from driving.
  • Nice to see Russell Carr lead the show and tell (with no grade C Hollywood has-been in sight).
  • Performance figures. They have gone for the "massive slog for six over square leg" (that's hit the ball out of the ball park for our US friends).  That will grab attention and get them plenty of media coverage.
  • Development time has been pretty quick. Hope we don't get lots of delays.  Wouldn't be surprised if 2020 delivery is more like Q3/4.
  • Internet chatter is mostly positive.  Probably as expected, there is some snide comments of the vapourware "believe it when i see it" type.  Now it is VITAL that Lotus/Geely deliver the car with the quoted stats.  If they don't then it would be another Bahar PR disaster.  Keeping my fingers firmly crossed but my confidence is high that they are confident in doing it.
  • How long 'till we get the Hethel lap time?
  •  Left hand drive only.  Not available in the USA.  Still think given the splash it's made that they can sell 130.
Edited by webfoot
layout change for easier reading

In glorious 4k...

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators

9 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Yep it is absolutely ridiculous they have generators powered by fossil fuels and also swapping cars as the batteries can't last a full race. I get its a bit of chicken and egg situation, where the tech needs to grow before its viable in a race series but then we need the race series to push development for the tech ... but I think it could have been handled better.

They’ve sorted that for this season. The battery lasts the full race, so no need for idiotic car changes. 

25 minutes ago, electro_boy said:

Yep it is absolutely ridiculous they have generators powered by fossil fuels and also swapping cars as the batteries can't last a full race.

At least they don’t swap cars this year anymore as they managed enough range. What I am struggling with is that they are in cities so there has to be ways to get proper power from the grid!

For Aston Martin, that was the official line when they did the IPO as they wanted to show that the Valkyrie type profit could be recurring rather than a one off but considering how badly they are doing right now, you would have thought they would have sold a bit more if they could without damaging the market.

I think is is about 150 pininfarina as well. Not that high a number but if people feel there is something better out there, it quickly becomes a big number.

Edited by PAR

Key issues of the car, hopefully the lotus factory can answer those urgent requests so we can start thinking of which color to order the car into.

- number plate: j assume there will be a hologram displaying it, can you confirm?

- ground clearance? I need to park my car over a slightly shallow curb. Can the car be raised with a button?

- cup holders obviously?

- golf clubs? Do they go in the front or the back?

- can you confirm 50-50 is available? In fact, can you make it 99-1?

- Batteries, does the alarm drain it in 2 weeks like on my Evora?

otherwise all good and clear I believe

ps. Did people notice they reverted to Pirellis? Does it mean something for other models?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, red vtec said:

some on twitter (including an F1 owner ) are saying its going away from Lotus origins, being to heavy and to expensive

I think that's an ill-considered opinion from those people then.  In context to the Evijas competition, it is lightweight.  There are many synergies in the details they have unveiled that stay true to Lotus as well as in the looks - there are literally nods to Lotus everywhere and yet it takes the brand forward as is the main hallmark of what Lotus do.

Yes its expensive but its limited production run, assured rarity and exotic materials don't come cheap.

4 minutes ago, Techyd said:

I think that's an ill-considered opinion from those people then.  In context to the Evijas competition, it is lightweight.  There are many synergies in the details they have unveiled that stay true to Lotus as well as in the looks - there are literally nods to Lotus everywhere and yet it takes the brand forward as is the main hallmark of what Lotus do.

Yes its expensive but its limited production run, assured rarity and exotic materials don't come cheap.

All I'm saying is that was from someone with a McLaren F1, therefore in the capacity to afford these kind of cars.

I think it looks great but will see what pans out (and if My euro millions comes up)

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

2 minutes ago, red vtec said:

All I'm saying is that was from someone with a McLaren F1, therefore in the capacity to afford these kind of cars.

I think it looks great but will see what pans out (and if My euro millions comes up)

Yes quite - and I'm countering their opinion, not yours 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, red vtec said:

some on twitter (including an F1 owner ) are saying its going away from Lotus origins, being to heavy and to expensive. And it will never be built.  They are saying Lotus is lightweight and cheaper  and its point was it beat the more expensive rivals, by being that. Not sure if that's correct.

Things change. Colin Chapman didnt just stick to making a Lotus 7

3 hours ago, ramjet said:

Where do I put me bag?

:getmecoat:

She sits in the seat next to you! :lol:

buddsy

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

(in a nutshell, he likes it but would rather have a ... V8 Esprit — jealous of R. Hammond owning one apparently :happydance:)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PAR said:

ps. Did people notice they reverted to Pirellis? Does it mean something for other models?

I did 😝😁

Supplier market is always the same thing... What's the price you're offering and for what. Michelin has not been the best compromise for this project. Congrats Pirelli, I'm jealous 😋

But for the future projects, it will still be a 'competition' between the tire manufacturers. So, depending on strategies and offers, we will see what it brings. 

35 minutes ago, rallyesax said:

But for the future projects, it will still be a 'competition' between the tire manufacturers. So, depending on strategies and offers, we will see what it brings. 

Tyres being a big thing at that level of performance. McLaren reckon with the Speedtail, above 250mph the tyres required would make the ride far too harsh to fulfill it's GT, hyper car brief. 

• Like 1

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)