free hit
counters
Type 130 - Lotus Evija - Page 17 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Type 130 - Lotus Evija

8 hours ago, The Pits said:

Massively more downforce and weighs about the same as a Ford Focus RS. Neither Batista nor Rimac Concept Two are aiming for much downforce and weigh closer to a Bentley Continental. So with more power, a lot less weight, huge downforce and Lotus handling it should be in a different class altogether around corners. In that respect it’s unique for a road legal EV.

So an overall answer is "the same, but potentially better in many aspects".

Interesting to me thing is that 2018 car sales revenues as I understand must have been somewhere around up to £120mn (that's 1,700 cars at £70,000 apiece, which is already quite high) with certainly unexciting profitability. And now they are talking about £260mn revenues (130 cars at £2mn apiece) with as I understand 30-50% margins. Why would anyone bother about all of these Elise's, Exiges and Evoras if the above is true? Would it not be better to just pop out some limited edition hypercars in 50-500 batches each year and live happily? :rolleyes:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

"the same but potentially better in many aspects" covers the difference between 1960's 911 and the current GT3RS. Some argue that an electric car and ICE are much the same thing just propelled by a different energy source. In other words, each to his own definition.

The Battista uses the same EV architecture as the Rimac Concept 2 so they really are very similar under the skin, both use a T format for the battery pack however the Lotus Evija puts the battery pack behind the seats where an engine might go. The Battista/Rimac C2 offers longer range (300 miles) with longer charging times. The focus is on luxury, the styling was deliberately supercar conventional and there's no mention of weight or downforce. It will be very interesting to see which approach is the most successful, if anyone could get access to the real sales figures of course.

If Lotus quickly shift 130 Evijas I'm sure it will reconsider it's strategy. It will be the first of a number of hypercars for sure. However their first priority is to reach their break-even number, Geely will want the project to pay for itself. Anything over that will be a bonus but until they actually sell a sufficient number of Evijas they won't be canning plans to produce more accessible cars just yet. The Lotus range will look very different to what it is now by 2021 in any event.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, red vtec said:

some on twitter (including an F1 owner ) are saying its going away from Lotus origins, being to heavy and to expensive. And it will never be built.  They are saying Lotus is lightweight and cheaper  and its point was it beat the more expensive rivals, by being that. Not sure if that's correct.

Well Lotus isn't beating expensive rivals where it matters: selling cars and making profit.

Reminds me of reviews of Lotus that drool over it being light weight, but then in the end say the Porsche is better because it has a 4-wheel steering, nicer interior,  nicer ICE, etc.

This is probably what it feels like to be Lotus sometimes: 

Edited by Likuid

That certainly is a beautiful looking car and kudos to Russel and the guys in Hethel for pulling this off.  Anyone know if this is a "real" ie drivable car, or a model, and the car with the real engine and batteries is "coming soon"?

Need to see it on the track!

Paddle Faster, I hear Banjos!

49 minutes ago, The Pits said:

covers the difference between 1960's 911 and the current GT3RS

Surely these are not considered as "groundbreaking hypercars"?

50 minutes ago, The Pits said:

no mention of weight or downforce

Didn't you say that Evija is lighter and with loads more downforce? How does it work if for one car it is known (or rather claimed) and for the other one it is not mentioned?

52 minutes ago, The Pits said:

If Lotus quickly shift 130 Evijas

Didn't they say that the number of requests made them increase the production plan? I understand it means these are all sold out?

53 minutes ago, The Pits said:

until they actually sell a sufficient number of Evijas they won't be canning plans to produce more accessible cars just yet

So if they sell let's say 50 of those (roughly, to match 2018 profits through a bit lower revenues with nicer margins), then they can get rid of these "poor man's cars"?

55 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Lotus range will look very different to what it is now by 2021 in any event

Doesn't look like it if you trust what their CEO says - one incrementally new model to be shown (not mass produced) by the end of 2019. Or you think there will be a flurry of brand new models in 2020, in an industry with shortening but still at least 3-5 years development cycles?

2 minutes ago, The Pits said:

One more number that I'm struggling to get my head around. The following are all claimed 0-300kph times:

Porsche 991 GT3RS - 40.8

McLaren 540C - 31.5

Ferrari F40 - 31.0

McLaren 570S - 27.7

McLaren 600LT - 26.6

McLaren 675LT - 23.5

991 GT2 - 22.9

McLaren 720S - 19.7

La Ferrari - 15.7

Bugatti Veyron Supersport - 14.6

McLaren Speedtail - 12.8 seconds.

Pininfarina Battista - under 12 seconds.

Lotus Evija < 9 seconds.

Actually when you put it like that, it does make you think. Personally I love it, bit disappointed all lhd though 

also will @Sparky be able to fix it! 

4 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Lotus Evija < 9 seconds.

Claiming is not necessarily delivering. As it looks, they plan to be able to gain 100kmph of speed every 3s and all with huge downforce. Aha.

It's got DRS and active aero so it only has huge downforce when it needs it.

3 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Claiming is not necessarily delivering.

Usually I think Lotus has the reputation to be quite honest or conservative with their car top speed and acceleration, hasn't it?

5 minutes ago, vd9 said:

As it looks, they plan to be able to gain 100kmph of speed every 3s and all with huge downforce.

As for the first 100km/h I suspect the problem is more the traction than the power, so it might explain why the 0-100 is claimed to be "only"  under 3 seconds?

20 minutes ago, Dan E said:

Actually when you put it like that, it does make you think. Personally I love it, bit disappointed all lhd though 

Doubt he will be able to get in it😀

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Initial looks impressive until you really look closely, let's hope its not the same guys painting these who did my Exige which was shocking and had to rectified by a detailer straight away.

Looking at the pictures It looks like more parts bin items used, and again whoever is on quality control needs a trip to Specsavers, if these faults can be seen from low resolution videos what is it going to be like up close... and this is described as the show car...

Comments form the head of design,, 

"A form of luxury"

" Certainly a car like this everything has to exquisite in there"

"When you pay this sort of money you expect everything to be very very special"

2 million really  🤣

Evija 1.JPG

Evija.JPG

Evija1-quality of switch gear.JPG

quality.JPG

Stalks ffs.JPG

Edited by marky68
  • Thanks 1

0-300kmh in 9 secs is (according to an online calculator) 0.94g.... that’s quite a bit 

Black n gold

28 minutes ago, Giniw said:

conservative with their car top speed and acceleration

Only until you try to get to under 4sec 0-100 in an Exige

28 minutes ago, Giniw said:

for the first 100km/h I suspect the problem is more the traction than the power, so it might explain why the 0-100 is claimed to be "only"  under 3 seconds

Kind of, but then there is magic dust to gain so much on the rest of not far off powered cars later on and keep accelerating at the same pace into jets takeoff speed, I guess

4 minutes ago, Stubox said:

0-300kmh in 9 secs is (according to an online calculator) 0.94g.... that’s quite a bit 

It's like many other things these days - don't try to think about it and ask questions, just believe :stuart:

All of the 0-300kph figures are claims and besides it can afford to be 3 seconds out and still be the fastest thing with number plates in existence.

With 1250hp per ton the performance is going to disappoint precisely no-one.

So far all of the electric cars have delivered astonishing straight line acceleration. Tesla Model 3 toasts the BMW M4. Tesla Model S P100D spanks just about everything off the line. Videos on YT are plentiful.

It's not hard to imagine what the electric hypercars are going to do.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dan E said:

Have to catch it first.

• Haha 1

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

13 minutes ago, The Pits said:

All of the 0-300kph figures are claims

How comes? Isn't it the case that for many of those cars there is people out there taking them for a spin with those little Racelogic devices in a safe locations of the airstrips?

it can afford to be 3 seconds out

So even the keenest supporters agree that there is possibility for a 30% made up statements in there?

1250hp per ton.

1,173 in my books (1,972/1,680), that may potentially be without the batteries, steering wheels and tyres, judging by the condition of a "lightest specification"

3 minutes ago, Likuid said:

wonder how it is to live a life looking for things to be upset about.

Another way to see it is called "attention to detail". I wish this feature was in place for whoever was putting the doors of my Exige together - maybe that would not leak water then... But we'll, it's not £2mn as well, maybe that's why...

Edited by vd9

15 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Only until you try to get to under 4sec 0-100 in an Exige

Awww, really? It's notoriously hard (for the car too) to do a proper 0-100 acceleration test, though. But I can't really comment since I haven't tried myself anyway.

16 minutes ago, vd9 said:

Kind of, but then there is magic dust to gain so much on the rest of not far off powered cars later on and keep accelerating at the same pace into jets takeoff speed, I guess

Maybe they tried in the void!?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, The Pits said:

electric cars have delivered astonishing straight line acceleration

Only at low speed acceleration, where different manner of power delivery (instant and easy to moderate finely) is massively different to ICE. At high speeds everyone is playing against the same aerodynamics challenges

@Giniw I actually fully agree with what you're saying - it's hard to do a proper 0-100 in a RWD car with a stick and Exige is actually not that far off even without really trying hard

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

All of the 0-300kph figures are claims and besides it can afford to be 3 seconds out and still be the fastest thing with number plates in existence.

With 1250hp per ton the performance is going to disappoint precisely no-one.

So far all of the electric cars have delivered astonishing straight line acceleration. Tesla Model 3 toasts the BMW M4. Tesla Model S P100D spanks just about everything off the line. Videos on YT are plentiful.

It's not hard to imagine what the electric hypercars are going to do.

All that torque plus that aero, I'm going to guess that computer models make it theoretically possible, will the Pirelli P Zero R really be able to get it done... I guess it will take a trip to the recently reopened Nardo test track to go and try it, stuffing it down Weissach throat at the same time....

Now they have 12 months to finess the prototype finish, the car will have to be flawless. Dynamically they are good, Design wise, they are really good, launch was well orchestrated, now Testing, Industrialisation (procurement), Quality Assurance, pre-production and production and most importantly PDI all need to follow suit. time for the guys they poached from Bentley to prove their metal, it's getting close to show time.

Oh and I wonder how thick a gauge the outlet be required to be to procure the 350kw to get a recharge in 12'...

Now as somebody noticed the word on the 2020 Elan in CAR magazine in the what's Next? And I'm going to go on a limb here but sounds like the SUV is a go for 2022...

What’s next?

The Evija is going to be Hethel’s halo product, and it’ll be followed by a refreshed, then expanded range of Lotus cars – all of which will borrow elements of its design language. Get ready for a 2020s version of the Elan, and then a Chinese-made SUV after that. 

51 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

Well we did go a day with out people ripping it to bits, after all the glowing reviews world wide, sadly we are back to pointless negativity

So any attempt of a basic reality check is easy to shrug off as a "pointless negativity"? That's an overly simple and somewhat disappointing way to finish the exchange when there is not much to say.

10 hours ago, vd9 said:

Would it not be better to just pop out some limited edition hypercars in 50-500 batches each year and live happily? :rolleyes:

I suspect for a new start up company that’s probably a direction to go in and the proliferation of super/hyper cars supports it.  But Geely appear to want to take Lotus back to a profitable low volume (in the context of VAG, Ford etc) manufacturer of sports cars . This car to me is their statement of intent and the future models be they electric, hybrid or ICE will at least draw styling cues from it. To that extent I think they’ve captured the future ethos quite well with the low (for pure ev) weight , aero performance and dynamics. 

Sure at some point a discussion might have occurred to stop any production of the sports car products in the future and solely use Lotus as a super/hyper car brand and an engineering resource. Fortunately for those that rather like driving their loti they say they’ve a product plan for us non oligarchs too. I think we should see what they deliver.

• Like 2

Black n gold