free hit
counters
Type 130 - Lotus Evija - Page 18 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Tex

Type 130 - Lotus Evija

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
7 minutes ago, Frickin_idiot said:

so many that wish to pick holes in everything that the company attempts to do

I'm not sure how did you conclude that these "so many" aim to pick holes in "everything". Pretty much everyone commenting has bought a Lotus (I did, and I am fully fine with that decision, have no regrets and have no intentions to sell it on after covering 200mi on a B-road and a bragging session in a local pub, to then just move on to a used fancy car for a next round of this routine). This fact surely gives some indication of those "so many" seeing a positive aspect and appreciation of the cars manufactured by the company as well?

11 hours ago, Dan E said:

will @Sparky be able to fix it! 

GIven his name he must be an expert in electrical systems. :sofa:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

11 hours ago, Likuid said:

I sometimes wonder how it is to live a life looking for things to be upset about.

I agree with your general tone and don't think this is the right time to be finding fault in what is very much a pre-production car.  That said, clearly the production team will have to up their game massively on the Evija.

Unresolved fit and finish will not be tolerated by clients spending 2 million quid.

My Evora was generally OK when I got it in March 2018.  The interior was finished to an acceptable standard, but (along with other manufacturers) the paint, or rather the lacquer was not finished correctly and it required around 8 hours of rectification work by the detailer prior to applying a Gtech treatment.

As I say, Lotus are far from the worst culprits with these issues and my detailer said the paint finish itself was actually very good and better that many other cars he deals with (BMW also being mentioned negatively) and there is a another post running in the detailing section about poor paint finish on a Ferrari Pista.

I do think however that generally there will need to be a different mindset by Lotus about what is acceptable at procurement stages and vehicle completion sign off. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vd9 said:

I'm not sure how did you conclude that these "so many" aim to pick holes in "everything". Pretty much everyone commenting has bought a Lotus (I did, and I am fully fine with that decision, have no regrets and have no intentions to sell it on after covering 200mi on a B-road and a bragging session in a local pub, to then just move on to a used fancy car for a next round of this routine). This fact surely gives some indication of those "so many" seeing a positive aspect and appreciation of the cars manufactured by the company as well?

I am merely commenting upon the negative aspects of some of the comments on this thread - no more, no less.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

I simply cannot see anything negative to comment on regarding that car.

I can, SWMBO (and the bank manager) have already said I can't have one. :(. All I want to do is help save the planet by going leccy, honest.

Otherwise a stunning car and really shows what Lotus can do on their relatively miniscule budget and quicker than all the big players, whose cars are several years in the future.

Tesla quoting much higher performance figures, but will we ever see the roadster? I for one wouldn't put the required sizeable desposits on one given the financial state of Tesla and their ability to actually deliver a car.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

A great move by Lotus IMO - There is a lack of awareness and significance of Lotus given the timespan for the current generation to recognise Lotus of old and the amazing history in F1. One of my sons works on future model for Aston Martin - he has been immersed in Lotus 'folklore' by me so naturally aware of the past given my Esprit has been with me for longer than he has. Reckons the word at AM is a nod of acknowledgment from a sleeping great. I've seen the posts about Chapman not approving due to weight etc. but I don't think Colin could ever had foreseen where the Car industry would be going and the sudden leap in to battery technology we are seeing. Yes the idea was there but until Tesla came along the thought of a battery vehicle to the 60's/70's generation was a Milk Float.............   

Edited by nello
  • Love 1

Personally I think the Valkeryie is hideous! 

• Like 2

I echo all the comments above about the negativity.  It's a prototype / preproduction car its not the final item, its just so potential buyers know what they will be getting and have some confidence in putting down their deposit.  No one has said its a final finished product, there will be many tweaks and changes along the way before its finalised.  Eg take the Carfection video where Russel Carr says they are still working on making the carbon badge with metal inlay ready for production, they are not quite happy with the results they have at the moment.

Also some of the comments I've read on other forums about it being pointless and not practical.  FFS its a hypercar! Non of it makes sense, its not supposed to!  If did make sense it wouldn't be a hypercar.  Its simply about turning all the dials up to max, putting a massive smile on your face and turning round to your mate and giving them a nod that says "Mate! this is freaking awesome!".  and from what I've seen I think the car delivers on this front.  The Evija is not an Elise replacement, just once more for those that haven't worked it out yet ... the Evija is NOT a replacement for the Elise.   Its whole new thing to generate new interest and excitement for the brand and a nod towards what we might be seeing in the future.  It's not designed to sell like hot cakes and have one on each person's drive.  Its special, rare, aspirational car.

Also the "will it really happen" comments.  OK we had the Bahar days with promises of multiple new cars etc ..  but Lotus is a very different company now, a lot of the senior management and board are new faces from big established and very successful business, they have new owners who are actually investing int he company and investing serious amounts of money.  There are already signs of the new investment with new buildings and facilities and new staff, so its not a fake promise of investment, its actually happening.

So why don't we just give Lotus the benefit of doubt and congratulate them on what is a very exciting and beautiful car.  Come 2020 and "if" production hasn't started then feel free to engage your moan generator but I really don't think that will be happening.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, fmxa said:

That certainly is a beautiful looking car and kudos to Russel and the guys in Hethel for pulling this off.  Anyone know if this is a "real" ie drivable car, or a model, and the car with the real engine and batteries is "coming soon"?

Need to see it on the track!

I have it from a reliable source that the car was able to move under it's own power. Whether it had the full drivetrain or simply a cut down version to move it I don't know.

• Like 1

Dave - 2000 Sport 350

I am very impressed with the Evija, everyone at Lotus should be very proud. As an EV - its so far away from what i would have concidered a typical Lotus, but somehow it still seems very Lotus to me. The shape, the weight - the minimalist approach. If this handles anything like a Lotus. Wow. Gj.

The Tesla Roadster performance claims are remarkable. top speed beyond 250 mph, 1/4 mile under 9 seconds (similar to the Evija), a 600 mile range...and the one that floored me, 7,400 lb/ft of torque! Musk says this performance "is already being achieved by the prototype..." If Tesla can pull this off with a base price from $200,000 all bets are off. Incredibly, Musk has also said that higher performing models of the Roadster will be available later, as this only references the base model. 

Tesla have trouble producing a simple Mondeo competitor. I wouldn't be doing any breath holding for a sportscar from them.

Just now, Advantage said:

Tesla have trouble producing a simple Mondeo competitor. I wouldn't be doing any breath holding for a sportscar from them.

To be fair to them, when they revealed the v2 Roadster it was a fully operational car and they did media drives that very night to demo acceleration. That said I doubt we'll see the Tesla Roadster on the roads anytime soon, Tesla are too busy trying to keep their head above water with production of the Model 3.

I'm still trying to get my head around the 0-300kph time and then I remembered this from a while back....The Evija is being designed to be faster than this, so I have no doubts that this is achievable from the power train being touted.  My hope as well is that the aerodynamics the Evirja will have will allow the car to be stable and therefore simply astonishing on a track - and in a way that has never been seen before for a road car.  I wonder as well whether the aero being designed will actually better that of a formula one car?  The acceleration is absolutely going to rival them (https://fastestlaps.com/models/ferrari-f2004)

1 hour ago, Jeanvm said:

I would like to know if this prototype is going to make a tour through Europe? (next motorshow at Frankfurt)

I want it really see it in the flesh.

Had the same thought!  Where can we see it?

Or will it be shown in London?

For the few who know the difference