Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
50 Shades Of Rust - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

50 Shades Of Rust

• Gold FFM

Kicked off the Summer season in earnest today, starting with a suspension refresh on @temple's GT3.  Plenty of corrosion and nastiness for a relatively young one!  This is going to be so much more than just bushes.  Sheared/seized bolts, very nasty brake pipes and unions, shredded balljoint rubbers, a coilover that I doubt will ever move again - and that's just O/S/F.  One final cut and the lower arm will be out, but Tracy called time, and she is a very very good cook.  I shall resume tomorrow after verifying Alan's credit score.

IMAG2849-20190419-203527793.jpg

IMAG2850-20190419-203503902.jpg

IMAG2865-20190419-203205686.jpg

IMAG2863-20190419-203229159.jpg

IMAG2858-20190419-203325447.jpg

IMAG2853-20190419-20340260.jpg

• Sad 4

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

My car is the same Travis. Not as clean as yours, but no rust to be seen.

I would die if I had to take on what Sparky is looking at.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of the Moderators. (I'm not one of the elves anymore, but I'll leave the link here)

Although the car that Sparky is currently working on is perhaps a bit worse tan most, I'd say that typically a car in the UK will be closer to it's state than the state of Travis's, just given the climate meaning that cars get driven on damp roads at least occasionally, and ten don't get to quickly dry out.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Decent weather and an Esprit on the drive.  Love it!  Finished stripping out the front today  whilst kicking off a nice tan.  Everything's pretty nasty.  Fortuitously I treated myself to a Milwaukee cordless reciprocating saw last week, and it proved invaluable today.  Pressed out the awful upper wishbone bushes on a vice, but need to clear a path to my press for the heavy stuff tomorrow.  Of course, I now need  bunch of replacement balljoints and fixings.

I can't imagine what kind of callous, neglectful previous owner would have left it in such a state...

IMAG2868-20190420-183957270.jpg

IMAG2869-20190420-183939350.jpg

IMAG2872-20190420-183900515.jpg

IMAG2870-20190420-183923100.jpg

IMAG2879-20190420-183805250.jpg

And some geezer left this piece of tat in front of my house this morning...

IMAG2866-20190420-184041219.jpg

• Like 1

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

On 20/04/2019 at 19:23, Sparky said:

I can't imagine what kind of callous, neglectful previous owner would have left it in such a state...

🙁 That was all stripped, cleaned, painted, lubed, refreshed, replacedlotsofthings just a short while ago - what's happened? 

//Checks photo album//

Actually, it was about eleven or twelve years ago - so hasn't it all lasted well?! :thumbup:

• Haha 2

I've had my Esprit 21 years now, and what is soul destroying is the jobs you remember doing 15 years ago and thinking 'good, I can forget about that now' only to be doing it again years later!

I'm on about my 3rd set of gearbox and engine mounts now, for example. :)

Luckily mine is garaged and rarely comes out, so most maintenance tasks these days are limited to things that stop working when they're not used. Like relays!

I really should drive it more. Think I'll tax it for May actually.

• Gold FFM

+1 for a decent reciprocating saw.  Top link studs were the only bits I managed to salvage!  I swear this motor must have hit an iceberg at some point.

IMAG2905-20190426-135819260.jpg

• Gold FFM
3 hours ago, Chillidoggy said:

Those bushes look to be different shades of yellow.

Totally unacceptable... But we can't all be perfectionists can we, I just hope @Sparky wipes off his dirty fingerprints before he puts them back in.

• Gold FFM

It'll be going back together with a post-modern fingerprint and rust motif.

• Gold FFM

Impact driver, blowtorch, reciprocating saw, hammers, chisels, and a big press.  No worries!

And I'm coming to see you soon.  Honest...