free hit
counters
50 Shades Of Rust - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Nowadays I use brass fittings for brake pipes, even passivated unions rust too much. It costs more but means that it doesn't destroy other tings by getting seized on.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Still awaiting a shedload of parts.  Had a couple of hours free, so pressed in the rear arm bushes (except for one that's awaiting an upper link component), sorted the trailing arm bushes and attacked the N/S/F brake pipe, which surprisingly came out in one piece.  Replacing it is not a job I enjoy.  Unfortunately I'm nil stock on the necessary unions, so more shopping tomorrow...

IMAG2970-20190506-175434309.jpg

IMAG2973-20190506-175206664.jpg

IMAG2969-20190506-175418811.jpg

IMAG2967-20190506-175403915.jpg

• Like 1

Trailing arm bush centre has moved off centre over its years of action :P 

6 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Trailing arm bush centre has moved off centre over its years of action :P 

That's why I hesitate to substitute poly when rubber is available, as rubber will perish eventually but it will not flow in the way that poly does.

• Like 1

She's back!

IMAG3121_1.jpg

Sticking the knife in and twisting it one last time, the test drive of Alan's showed the engine way down on performance.  Both wastegate and chargecooler pump seized!  An attempt at the wastegate capsule locknut simply sheared the rod; fortunately I had a spare.  Managed to cycle the wastegate until it moved fairly freely and recalibrated the capsule, but the chargecooler pump is toast so 50 Shades will return.

IMAG3116-20190526-071335939.jpg

And mine came back with a knackered starter, so I'm convinced @temple lives in the Twilight Zone.

• Haha 2

It`s a Lotus,

1 step forward  2 maybe 3 back, again Watford Exotics, sorted it, 

Cheers Sparky

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paul1972 said:

Sparky’s Looks to have V8 lower valance with the S350/late V8 rubber lip and cover

As an Esprit noob I hadn't realised they had different valances. That's something new learnt today.

Wow! My poor S4 lives outside and is driven 12 months a year and has no where near that amount of corrosion. The before pictures look like they have been continually sprayed with salt water for years.

This thread makes me extremely happy that I now have a garage with a 2 post. I'll need to do the suspension on my GT3 at some point and the thought of doing it outside on axle stands makes me slightly nauseous. You definitely deserve an award. 

Seriously, give me the ground and axle stands over a ramp any day, preferably outside in fairly clement weather.  I love it.

Yesterday would have been problematic!  Today, however, is breezy, quite cool with showers.  I'm just fine with that.  It's good for ya.