free hit
counters
315s on an S4S - With pictures - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
pureguava

315s on an S4S - With pictures

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Very nice indeed, nice aggresive stance  :thumbup:

Felgenfuchs has a very good reputation, a lot of folks using them on the forum :)

A

Yep - they were very good to deal with.   In case anyone wants to look at doing this I used the 3.25 inch lips for the rear and the 2 inch for the front to keep the fronts stock size.

i initially did it as my lips looked terrible and thought may as well try the bigger rears...

• Like 2

Looks great, but how does it drive?

Handles like its on rails i should imagine..... :thumbup:

A

21 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Let's hope it's a lot better! Trains have poor braking performance, even worse acceleration and need a huge turning radius to be able to change direction... 😛

• Like 2

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

3 minutes ago, CHANGES said:

It should have improved grip at the rear because of the larger contact patch..  But don't get drawn into bigger is always better by just fitting it..  There may be some GEO changes that are needed to compensate for resulting differences in rear scrub angles.. Lotus when they fitted any tyre, ( dia , width , profile , compound, pressure, manufacturer. )  to a particular model would have factored in all the dynamics to ensure the best handling characteristics possible..  Changing any one of these will move out of original spec.. 

Interestingly just about everyone will have moved away from the original manufactured tyre fitted by Lotus due to availability, so some allowances have to be made..   I still believe the best starting point for any Esprit is the factory spec. for model tyre size etc.  This should always be the default setting..   When you move off spec with wheel / tyre size, offset etc etc , then expect little differences ..  Unless you are connected with your Esprit's handling like motor sport drivers are , then you will not appreciate the subtle differences which happen , and probably wont drive the Esprit aggressive enough to have any real effect..    But you should still be aware.!!!

A lot of us can really feel when the tyre pressures are wrong on our Esprit, and i am not talking by a lot , just 3 or 4 lbs can be felt. This in main is due to the fact the lower pressure changes the contact patch and how it reacts in corners , in turn this also effects the slip and scrub angles. These influence the handling of the Esprit which is what you are feeling..  

So in brief , be aware when you change one dimension you can influence another...    This does not mean you can not benefit from changes, just that you may need to tweak a few other things to get the best from them..    For the best advice regarding wheel /tyre changes , go to a motor sport shop that sets up race cars.  They will have a much better comprehension on what is needed for the changes you have made to get the best from them..  

I am a big supporter of Changes , and @pureguava wheel/ tyre set up looks much improved .  But we should always remember other factors may need consideration when going off spec..             

Couldn't agree more - great post! - these will subtlety change the geometry but I have to be honest - It might make me a massive poser but I fell in love with  the esprit for its looks - the handling / performance is a massive plus.  

I can't kid myself that I can ever get enough out of this car to justify its performance- I just don't do enough track work.I also think this car shouldn't be abused to the point that I will notice the difference that 315s vs 285s make - I have other later vehicles that can fulfill that duty. 

The big problem I had in every day driving was rear wheel spin - the 315s help with that so maybe just what I am looking for. 

The front 3/4 view lets you appreciate the stance with these wheels and I am surprised I don't have pictures from that angle - I will address soon!!

21 hours ago, silverfrost said:

Yep ..... Can you believe they got this much power out of just a 4 cylinder!?!

5 minutes ago, Escape said:

Let's hope it's a lot better! Trains have poor braking performance, even worse acceleration and need a huge turning radius to be able to change direction... 😛

https://youtu.be/I7IEfGTyT3Y

He said rails ..... nothing about a train!

4 hours ago, pureguava said:

https://youtu.be/I7IEfGTyT3Y

He said rails ..... nothing about a train!

That is impressive, but not really about handling.

My remark was tongue in cheek of course, been going through train statistics for most of the day... And I hate the bloody things! Fortunately I can slip onto TLF from time to time, to sooth my mind with lovely pictures like the ones above. 🙂

Filip 

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

5 hours ago, Escape said:

That is impressive, but not really about handling.

My remark was tongue in cheek of course, been going through train statistics for most of the day... And I hate the bloody things! Fortunately I can slip onto TLF from time to time, to sooth my mind with lovely pictures like the ones above. 🙂

Filip 

I know exactly what you meant -  and I loved the post - I was just trying to find one thing on rails with out train like performance 

• Like 1