free hit
counters
No spark - Page 3 - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

You guys are great. My cranking assistant has just gone out for about an hour so will make further tests on her return. Will the 3.4kohmsngo up and down when it rotates but cable disconnected. Otherwise how do i measure if plug is in amplifier?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Can you confirm that the pick up magnet reluctor ring in the dizzie actually rotates with the engine turning? This is the ring with the 4 spark trigger points that sits behind the rotor arm and goes past the sensor. It’s driven by a small, brittle plastic drive. The gap between the reluctor and the sensor should be 0.1-0.2mm IIRC. 

Ad initium

Shame

you didnt come up with this yesterday. Would have saved a lot of trouble 👍

Good learnings though. Wild goose chase leads to a faulty rev limiter... 🥴

Ad initium

Not come across a rev limiter on these cars. Maybe they fitted them on later cars.

Back to original coil and amplifier and still got a spark on the plug. It might even run this afternoon😃

Andy. Mounted on rear wheel arch by the battery

On 03/05/2019 at 14:26, TAR said:

Just had a thought...

When you put the distributor back, did you make sure the dog was fully enagaged? Its possible to fit it and tighten the clamp when its not quite home. If this is the case, the rotor arm wont turn so you'd never get a spark. To test, remove the dizzy cap and turn the engine over making sure that the rotor arm is turning. :)

I had this happen to me yesterday on my S1. If you don’t have a helper to crank the engine at the key put the car in 5th gear and push it forward. With the distributor cap off you, should see the rotor arm turn anti clockwise. If the rotor arm isn’t turning then the distributor is not fully engaged and obviously no spark and your timing will be totally out of whack.  To reset the timing...set the engine to TDC, making sure that the cams are also aligned. With the distributor seated probably the rotor arm will be at #1 firing position. Attach the distributor cap and insert cylinder #1 lead to the port that corresponds to the position of the rotor arm. Then insert the other leads in the correct firing order 3-4-2, working in an anti clockwise direction. This will then allow the engine to fire, maybe a bit rough but fire at least. From this point you need a timing light to set the timing correctly.

Having a no fire engine is very frustrating. Wishing you good luck.

Cheers, Gavin

2 hours ago, Andyww said:

Not come across a rev limiter on these cars. Maybe they fitted them on later cars.

Parts of the Lucus system, so yes early cars with Lumen don't ave them

Well after all that I have now found oil pouring through past the O ring on distributor shaft and this is just from turning the engine over.  The new one installed obviously not correct.  Had a separate post about this.  One of the carbs not supplying fuel.  Admittedly have been sitting a while.  

Now considering removing the carbs and getting them refurbed.  Sorting the oil leak while I have access and then in about 1 month should be back to where I am today!!!!!!

Thanks though guys for all your help

The joys of owning a claasic car! :)

It's getting there......