free hit
counters
Loud whistling noise from the engine - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lupoletto

Loud whistling noise from the engine

Hello,

After I got 2 pulley idlers and the auxiliary drivebelt changed, I had a ride with my Evora today.

Now there is a loud, very high whistling noise from the right side of the engine. I recoginzed a whistling when I drove trough a tunnel. Outside the tunnel: when I roll down the left window, you can hardly hear it, if you roll down the right window you can hear it very clearly. You can hear it from appr. 2000 rpm on and the tone is getting higher with the rpm is rising until it is that high that you can not recognize it at appr, 6000+ rpm. The tone referes exactly to the rpm and it is a sound like a defect Turbo - with the difference that it - as mentioned - referes exactly to the rpm (not like the Turbo where the whistle Comes after rising the rpm and stays after lowering the rpm). Also no matter if the rpm is rised under load or when the car stands still - exactly the same tone...

Is this normal or is there another issue with my car?!  😨

Can someone tell me where I can apply the throttle directly on the engine (maybe this would Help me to check for it when I have a look at the engine and rise the rpm)

Thanks for your help!!!

Lupoletto

Edited by Lupoletto

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hello,

I made s short Video with different RPMs. I am quite sure it is the supercharger. Is it normal that you here it? When I am going down a hill with 3000 rpm but not applying the throttle I have the same Sound as if I apply the thottle and drive with 3.000 rpm uphill. Guess this is fine as the supercharger is driven by the belt? (as a Turbo you would only hear when you apply the throttle).

=> do your supercharged Evora S sound the same??!!

Thanks,

Lupoletto.

Its hard to tell as your vid is taken inside the engine compartment. I don't spend much time in there. 🤔

Chargers give a high pitched whine. Perfectly normal. 

What is your concern? Might ne better yo take an in-cabin video to let people hear?

Edited by mik

😂 

You are Right. I am currently on Business trip in Japan - will take a audio from the inside next week.

But: Inside I clearly hear the same sound especially at 3.000rpm+ but I thought the kind of sound is better to hear on the vid directly in the engine compartment. 😉

So I am wondering if you hear the same sound when you are driving? I am just worried if the supercharger has an issue and needs some refurbishment before it is broken - or if everything is fine.

Thanks

LL

Certainly don't get that level of whistle from my Evora 400 inside the cabin

It does seem to whistle rather than whine.  Would better to get a vid from in the cabin.

Usually I would say that whistling can be a sign of the exhaust or manifold having a slight leak (say from a crack) but here the whistling sounded pretty consistent to the point of being normal.  So is there anything else you have noticed ? A drop in power at high revs or increased fuel consumption?  both of those would be a further sign of exhaust or manifold leak.

As it happens - I've recently noticed my exhaust sound has changed (not engine bay sound though) and it does feel down on power as you rev round. It did happen after some very spirited driving so I might have developed a crack in the exhaust system somewhere.

It does sound a bit weird to me, too, but it is hard to say precisely from that recording. I am also recently experiencing weird noises that seem to come from the supercharger (I will have it checked in the coming annual review) so I understand your concern. No one likes a change in the sound coming from the engine when you are flying in a jet...

Maybe the engine was tuned by Roger Whittaker? Just a thought :P

Well I've made a video of my engine noise - from the engine bay but its way too big to upload! so here's a link to a (very poorly made) video.  You can make out a whistle, sounds to me like its just the air intake in to the super charger....

Thank you Techyd for taking this effort!

So it sounds quite like mine - so this is normal and I don‘t need to worry.

Can you also hear this whining inside the cabin from appr. 3000rpm on?

Thanks to everybody for your reply!

LL

I think it is normal yes, I’m at a dealer next week so if they have an S in, I’ll ask them to start it up so I can listen to it as well!

The supercharger whine is audible inside the cabin, and really audible when the windows are open 😃

I do know from MY12 that sound insulation was adjusted to let more sound in to the cabin, so can’t speak for earlier models.

Yes you can hear the howl of the charger inside, and it is particularly audible with the passenger side window dropped - as the air intake is at that side.

Here an update how it sounds inside the cabin as the last Video was from the engine copartment and Mik mentioned - rightly - that he doesn't spend much time there. 😁

Evora Supercharger Sound.MOV

Would be nice if the supercharger-owners would have an ear on this one too, as I still did not meet any EvoraS Driver so far - even when I was at a Lotus Owners Meeting this Weekend - But only 1 other Evora Driver there ans this was an N/A.

THANKS!

Edited by Lupoletto

Have had a good listen - overall, I think it sounded pretty normal.  I guess the whistling is much more audible in person though?  From inside the cabin, that's a noise I have not noticed in mine - do you still get the supercharger wine (with passenger window open)

Does it feel down on power at all?  If I were to guess at a possible problem, based on the whistling alone, I would start to look at your air intake hoses and vacuum actuator for leaks.

Hello Techyd, 

thanks for listening into. Yes, in Person it is much more audible - especially if you are worride about it. ;) 

With the right window down the wine is louder/more audible; the record was taken with the Windows closed.

As I only have the Evora since 2 months I can not estimate if it has less power than it should - I could not complain about not enough power! 👍

I really sympathise as at the moment, mine does feel down on power and sound different (exhaust tone) and I'm struggling to pin it down - and even wondering if its just me!   And now you've noticed it you want to be sure its okay (or not, and get it fixed!)

29 minutes ago, Lupoletto said:

With the right window down the wine is louder/more audible; the record was taken with the Windows closed.

So from this, are you able to distinguish a whine in addition to the whistling or is it the same noise?  If it is the same noise, but louder, then I would quite confidently say this is the supercharger and you're okay 🙂

I'll take mine out again tonight and do something similar to you and post it up for comparison.

Thanks Techyd to take the effort - a comparison would be great.

Yes, it is exactly the same noise with the Right window down but just louder - yes it is the supercharger. I am just wondering if this level of noise is OK or if it is too lound and maybe there is a defect bearing or whatever it could be...

One more info: I regognice the wine only when the engine is warm

Edited by Lupoletto

@Lupoletto - firstly apologies for the terrible video quality; my brother made a terrible effort at holding the camera 😂

https://youtu.be/RKrMov9ejNA

The first minute is in normal mode, then sports mode.  Windows were closed.  The bang at the end was a pothole I didn't see in time 😣 but no damage done

Oh and no speed limits were broken during the making of this video 🙂

Thanks again for taking the effort!

Yes, there is room for improvement in the camera work. 😂

You can hear the supercharger also in your video, also when mine is deffinetly loder. But I guess this is due to the Tuning which was done (slightly higher compression by higher supercharger Speed and a K&W airfilter).

So I am relieved now. ;)

Thanks!
Lupoletto

Edited by Lupoletto

I see there are two posts on this. I replied in the other one:

The ribs/cross cuts will be a lot more pronounced now, compared to the older (worn) belt which will give the sound. Has it only done it since the new belt? Mine did this right away after the new belt, but if I hadn't of known may have been concerned. The sound may be a bit different on a Exige V6S, but it certainly sounds very similar. Notice it more when engine is winding down with window down, but I have a Komo-Tec filter so it shrieks anyway with the standard whine. My engines on 9k