free hit
counters
V8 Esprit beaten by a diesel Beemer! - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

V8 Esprit beaten by a diesel Beemer!

Nooo... Damon Likes Lotus remember!

He wouldn't have bitched about driving one! (Twunt)

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not wishing to split hairs but the LEW video shows a time of 01.31.90 but the lap time on the top gear board is 01.32.50. which is the time every one sees!!!! :o:P:P:huh:

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

All I have to say is... "Simply RIDICULOUS!" We're over here States side taking out 450 HP Corvette Z06's (not just on the track either...) and they're telling us that a Diesel Bimmer and a Ford Focus can take an Esprit!?!?!?!?!?!?

Dumb @!$

Just my 2 cents!

All I have to say is...  "Simply RIDICULOUS!"  We're over here States side taking out 450 HP Corvette Z06's (not just on the track either...) and they're telling us that a Diesel Bimmer and a Ford Focus can take an Esprit!?!?!?!?!?!?

Dumb @!$

Just my 2 cents!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You get my vote B) B)

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

I rather think they should try an Se or GT3 or even better, a Sport 300. The V8 is not the best handling Esprit, nor does it have the best roadholding. That extra weight spoils the balance and takes away the composure of the car. It is not much quicker in a straight line on acceleration until it's past 90 either. Don't forget the boost is severely limited in the lower gears to save the 'Box/clutch from disintegrating. However, having said that, I still don't think an overweight Diesel saloon, no matter who makes it, is capable of beating a Stephens Esprit anywhere, and certainly not through the curves.

I just looked at the list Mysterae posted, have a look at the other wheels, apart from possibly the NSX, all the rest are pieces of shit. I always had this feeling that show was a load of bollocks presented by tossers with no taste and no idea, now I'm sure. The fact that they couldn't spot a good looking car if it ran over them and that "if it's not going sideways, it's not impressive" bullshit tells me all I need to know. Take no notice, enjoy your marevelous Esprit and let the pricks who swallow that bullshit go and buy the poxy Beema' or any of the other shitheaps Clarkson and his cronies waffle on about. I'm sure they'll be happy with it.

Edited by nicksoldies

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

- Mario Andretti

I havent driven the BMW 535D (not for sale over here) but have just read up on the specs. 275 bhp- O-60 in 6.6 secs. Its reasonably fast for a saloon, but its no supercar slayer. Looks like everyones all wound up again over nothing :o

BMW525.jpg

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Started a right discussion here! Certainly looks like they trimmed the time down for sure. But that aside, it's a crap time and should be retaken. Here's an idea, we lend them 1 of each generation of Esprit to take round the track. Afterall they seem to try every damn incarnation of porker and fezz!

For those wanting to know what else beat the Esprit, follow the link!

Power Lap Times

Signature not working...

Started a right discussion here! Certainly looks like they trimmed the time down for sure. But that aside, it's a crap time and should be retaken. Here's an idea, we lend them 1 of each generation of Esprit to take round the track. Afterall they seem to try every damn incarnation of porker and fezz!

For those wanting to know what else beat the Esprit, follow the link!

Power Lap Times

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Vauxhall Vx220 :o ok it was a turbo. Alfa 3.7GTA :P

Hmm. Noble beats Gallardo :P

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

Chill out, everyone. It's only Top Gear. It's not a scientific test and so what if it is? The fastest car on a track is not necessarily the best on the road. Didn't we all buy our cars because we love the way they look, sound and handle without being sprung so stiffly our fillings fall out?

The BMW is probably more reliable and uses less fuel and totally isolates you from what's going on. Sounds no fun except when going really fast which you can rarely do whereas the Esprit is always fun. (At least when in motion under its own steam.)

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE