free hit
counters
Exhaust pig snout removal - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Exhaust pig snout removal

Has anyone ever just removed the pig snout off the exhaust. Had a quick look the other day and it seems to just be a shroud around two normal pipes.

Surely it could just be cut off (maybe a small strengthening bar added) and two normal bolt on end pipes 2 tubular style, to improve its look but also with an option of

better sound reduction end pipes for sensitive tracks.

Just a thought.

Martin S

exhaust1.jpg

Edited by MARTIN_S
to add a picture

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I think once you gone through trouble of removing it from car to cut the snout off then you might aswell bolt on something new. 

I won’t open the debate of which exhaust is best but I personally went for 2bular track system with add on silencers

I want a quiet exhaust but I'm afraid the KT one is just too quiet and 2tubulars etc to loud, so the option of just improving the look of what I have with the option of more silencing seems a logical path.

Anyone got any basic guide on taking the exhaust off?  I assume under tray off then its fairly straight forward?

Martin S

44 minutes ago, JG220 said:

its very easy, takes about 30min (if the bolts are all good)

Is it easy to do lying on the floor with just some low rise ramps to raise the rear of the car a little more? 

I think I am in a minority but I quite like the "pig snout" 🤔

@MARTIN_S i think you are due some sort of prize for the smallest image ever added to a forum post? 😉

• Like 1

Martin, not cheap but have you thought about this if you don’t want the hassle of removing the box. Don’t know if it works or not though :P

https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-exige/mk3-toyota-v6350380/exhaust/144/db-eater-kt-track-v6?c=495

How is that komotec end bit held in place?? Mine has two exist anyway not just the one.

Considering db killers are £20- £40 that seems excessively expensive for what it is.

Martin S

Edited by MARTIN_S

@MARTIN_S I bought two of these:

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=252625627382&category=61493&pm=1&ds=0&t=1556974300000&ver=0&cspheader=1

then you need to find a tig welder as it’s stainless steel, if you are near surrey/West Sussex I have a guy I’d highly recommend.

you need someone who can purge the system to ensure the weld on the inside is perfect and won’t restrict flow.

between 1-2 hours labour at £50/hour.

mine is being done next Tuesday and I will be putting up photos of the process. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MARTIN_S said:

Good stuff.

Is the sound any different, as finishing on a trumpet could make it louder?

Martin S

Slightly, but not noticeable though it does seem to have increased the pops/bangs on overrun/liftoff.

its not a simple job though to be done properly.

will stick the process on my other thread and post a link.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is that a typo Mike? My callipers seem to be hiding at the moment (sneaky gits) but a tape measure would suggest they are 2" (EvoraS).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mik said:

Is that a typo Mike? My callipers seem to be hiding at the moment (sneaky gits) but a tape measure would suggest they are 2" (EvoraS).

Clearly something went wrong. Tape measure says I'm a twat lol must've changed settings on me.

Screenshot_20190804-135728_Gallery.jpg