free hit
counters
What's the current thinking on tyres for my '88 Turbo - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

What's the current thinking on tyres for my '88 Turbo

Hi all, haven't been on here for a good few years but have just decided to replace the wheels on my '88 Esprit Turbo (Stevens). The ones I have are shot after having been reconditioned several times. For some reason I have 16" SE wheels on the back (it's not an SE and I bought it with them on) but as these don't seem to be available any more I'm going back to the standard 15" wheels with 235/60 R15 tyres. Obviously the original Goodyear NCT tyres are not available any more and the only recommendations I have found are for replacements that are also no longer available. So, I'd be interested to know what people are using and recommending these days? I've seen the suggestion of going to 225/60 R15's. Is this the best option and what make and model is best?

Just for info I have been using Falken tyres and have been very happy with them.

All advice gratefully received.

Richard

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Might serve better to keep the 16" rears and look to larger tyres, like 245/50-16. For my S2 I hope to fit 245/45-16 rear, 205/50-15 front in something like Toyo RA-1. Choices are limited these days in our rim sizes.

12 hours ago, eeyoreish said:

I fitted Kumho Ecsta on my 90 Stevens. The correct size was available for the rear and I went with 205/55 on the front 

Me too. Excellent tyres, great with the 205s on the front (although mine are 205/50r15)

Vanya Stanisavljevic '91 Esprit SE | '97 XK8

I have the Kumhos 245s on the rear of my 88 carb turbo, they are fine and look much meaner than the 225s I was running on the 15 inch rims before I switched to the SE wheels.  At the front I have the Vredestein Sportrac 3s (no longer available), but am very happy with them.  I'd rather the Vredestein Sportrac 5s on all corners but not possible with the 16 inch rears.

I have the SE front wheel rims in the loft but I don't believe they can be fitted safely to an 88 model.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

It's such a shame the original tyres are not available any more but at least we can keep our cars on the road one way or another. At the moment I'm probably going to go for the Vredstein Sportrac 225/60 R15. I looked at the Pirelli 600's but they are over twice the price with no great difference in performance (or so it seems). I'm not doing track days etc or high milages don't need to worry about wear etc. and can always change to Pirellis or something else in the future if I'm not happy.

Richard

• 4 months later...

Just to finish off this thread...

I have bought and fitted the Vredstein Sportrac tyres and have been really pleased with them. I can't feel any difference in normal driving (not a track day person). I fitted four new wheels which were cheaper than restoring my old ones. I paint cars for a living so thought I'd experiment with white wheels instead of the normal silver (the rear wheels were only available in pearlescent white so I had to paint them anyway).

I know it's not original but I really like it.

Richard

P.S. If anyone can use some 16" rear wheels and tyres (barely worn) from an Esprit SE let me know. They need stripping and powder coating but they are yours for the cost of collection. I don't want to throw them away if I can help it.

IMG_4234.jpg

Edited by RichardN
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...