free hit
counters
Fuel pump problems 85 turbo - Page 3 - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Fuel pump problems 85 turbo

Steve4012

On 22/05/2019 at 03:44, Andyww said:

Just noticed something on the spec of the pump in the link above. This is an 8 bar pump. Thats over 100 PSI! The fuel pressure regulator limits the pressure to 4 PSI. So the pump will be strangled, trying to pump far more than needed, and use a high current causing it to fail.

That would likely be the cause of failure. pump too high spec. Were all 3 pumps this spec? Did the supplier specify for the Esprit because if they did, they are liable for the failures.

The correct pump should be 2 bar or so.

Fuel pump pressure is dependent on flow rate. They don't operate at constantly max pressure.

Edited by ekwan

• 4 months later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Steve I have just had a brand new Sytec pump fail! It makes a rattle noise when shook. The fuel system is spotless. It makes a huming noise, was very loud and vibrated a lot in use. It got very hot in operation. If I had to guess I would say the output preesure and flow is too high. I have ordered a different type and will try again with an inline filter. I may well take the pump apart to see why it failed! Frustrating it cost £100 and lasted a few starts! 

Yep. I ordered a new one from SimonBBC on ebay. Im starting to think many new parts are not suitable for the claimed application. Im fitting an inline filter before the pump. Trouble is inside the pump is spotless so that wasn't the cause of failure.

• 1 month later...

Just finished reading this thread, and am waiting with bated breath to hear the outcome. Any updates on this topic? 

Cheers, 

Scott

Edited by greentengu

1986 Esprit HCI (Bosch-injected)

On my 85 turbo after the original pump packed up I had another 2 in quick succession before a third that was still ok when I sold the car

hindsight: the science that is never wrong