free hit
counters
Clutch failed - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I know the Evora clutch has always been a bit of a hot topic, but at 10 years, and 57000 miles, mine lasted fairly well, I suppose. It failed on Friday. I was just coming to a stop in traffic, 1st gear, clutch fully engaged. There was a sudden jolt and a screeching noise, and the engine stalled. Immediately suspected the clutch, so with the engine off, I checked the gears felt normal moving through the gate, and then selected neutral. Started the engine, and obviously couldn't select any gear, it just grinds.

The helpful chap from the AA diagnosed it as a release bearing failure, but the guys at Lotus Silverstone say it's more likely the friction plate has come apart. Bad news is they also say there are no clutches available right now, and they already have 2 cars ahead of mine waiting for clutches, so I'm not expecting to get it back for a few weeks :(

Any advice welcome - other jobs to do at the same time? Alternative source of clutches? Should I hold out for a better clutch from one of the newer, more powerful models? (Mine's an N/A Launch Edition).

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Surely the clutch is common to other models. Is it really unavailable or just out of stock at Lotus prices?

(Elise shop offer a clutch kit for the Evora)

4 minutes ago, Bruss said:

Surely the clutch is common to other models. Is it really unavailable or just out of stock at Lotus prices?

(Elise shop offer a clutch kit for the Evora)

I'm told Elise Shop are out of stock of their clutches. Plus, at the kind of money we're looking at, I'm slightly wary of using any part that hasn't been subject to a great deal of testing in this application. I know, I know, the Lotus one doesn't have the best reputation, but most of them seem last over 50k miles.

might wanna put your milage you got out of it,  be helpfull for others to know

2 minutes ago, andyj007 said:

might wanna put your milage you got out of it,  be helpfull for others to know

Sorry, you're right. I've edited my post. It's done 57k miles in 10 years.

• Like 1

I used to own a Porsche 944 Turbo and was congratulated for my good driving by Porsche when the clutch lasted for just 18,000 miles

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peegee355 said:

I used to own a Porsche 944 Turbo and was congratulated for my good driving by Porsche when the clutch lasted for just 18,000 miles

Wow. That's amazing :D

6 hours ago, Brendonian said:

Any advice welcome - other jobs to do at the same time? Alternative source of clutches? Should I hold out for a better clutch from one of the newer, more powerful models? (Mine's an N/A Launch Edition).

The 4X0 cars have got a succession of uprated clutches so any of those would be an upgrade. There is also a lightened flywheel, which will improve engine response. 

If you want to start spending a few £s once the gearbox is open, it’s a good opportunity to install an LSD or the closer gear ratios from the later cars. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

The 4X0 cars have got a succession of uprated clutches so any of those would be an upgrade. There is also a lightened flywheel, which will improve engine response. 

If you want to start spending a few £s once the gearbox is open, it’s a good opportunity to install an LSD or the closer gear ratios from the later cars. 

Do you know if the newer clutches are a straight swap? I wonder if they're any more available?

Can't see any benefit for me fitting an LSD, or closer ratio gears. Forgive my ignorance, but does the gearbox need to be opened up to replace the clutch?

7 minutes ago, Brendonian said:

Do you know if the newer clutches are a straight swap? I wonder if they're any more available?

As far as I know, yes. I’m certainly planning on going down a similar route once mine goes ‘pop’. 

I’m sure that @Hangar 111 would be happy to confirm.

Forgive my ignorance, but does the gearbox need to be opened up to replace the clutch?”

No, but the gearbox needs to be removed from the engine (hence the high cost of labour). Once the gearbox has been removed, I understand that it is then relatively straight forward to open. (Not that I’ve ever done it myself, mind!)

• Like 1

Thanks, @Bravo73. I wonder if there's any benefit to an upgraded clutch without a power upgrade. The standard one seems to be quite man enough until it fails :)

I quite happy to leave the gearbox alone. Nothing good can come from messing with a part that's still working!

In your situation, I'd definately get the later E400 clutch pack for your early S1, E400 lighter flywheel too.... all these parts combined are peanuts compare to the whole cost, which is mainly labour. If your gearbox is OK, I'd leave that alone.

The E400 clutch pack was designed for more power, so in your NA S1 it will last even longer. Probably easier to buy too, as its a current item 

The E400 clutch is also has a lighter pedal operation compared to the S1 cars... nice when you get stuck in traffic. 

Good luck whatever your choice. If its true Lotus Cars don't have clutch packs in stock thats crazy!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cain-it said:

In your situation, I'd definately get the later E400 clutch pack for your early S1, E400 lighter flywheel too.... all these parts combined are peanuts compare to the whole cost, which is mainly labour. If your gearbox is OK, I'd leave that alone.

The E400 clutch pack was designed for more power, so in your NA S1 it will last even longer. Probably easier to buy too, as its a current item 

The E400 clutch is also has a lighter pedal operation compared to the S1 cars... nice when you get stuck in traffic. 

Good luck whatever your choice. If its true Lotus Cars don't have clutch packs in stock thats crazy!  

Thanks. But is the 400 clutch a straight swap, and are you sure it will reduce pedal pressure, or is that the result of another change?

There are a few posts on here about using a 4XX series clutch on a S1 but has anyone actually done it? Or it is just theory?

My S1 clutch started slipping at around 55K last year.  I enquired at Hoffmans Lotus about getting a 4XX clutch and lighter flywheel as the replacement.   They said they'd never tried it or heard any one that's fitted a 4XX clutch in a S1 and wasn't sure if it was possible and suggested I just use the standard clutch.  They also recommended for a road car the standard (heavier) flywheel would be better (assuming it was possible to fit a lighter one) as it feels smoother as a lighter one would spin up and slow down quicker.

At the time I was happy with the standard flywheel and it was the right decession but after some tuition and time learning the car I'm driving it more aggressively and enjoy trying to heal and tow on downshifts and now think a lighter flywheel and a more responsive, quicker revving engine might have suited me better? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, electro_boy said:

There are a few posts on here about using a 4XX series clutch on a S1 but has anyone actually done it? Or it is just theory?

My S1 clutch started slipping at around 55K last year.  I enquired at Hoffmans Lotus about getting a 4XX clutch and lighter flywheel as the replacement.   They said they'd never tried it or heard any one that's fitted a 4XX clutch in a S1 and wasn't sure if it was possible and suggested I just use the standard clutch.  They also recommended for a road car the standard (heavier) flywheel would be better (assuming it was possible to fit a lighter one) as it feels smoother as a lighter one would spin up and slow down quicker.

At the time I was happy with the standard flywheel and it was the right decession but after some tuition and time learning the car I'm driving it more aggressively and enjoy trying to heal and tow on downshifts and now think a lighter flywheel and a more responsive, quicker revving engine might have suited me better? 

Great questions! It's easy for people to suggest these things are better in principle, but I've yet to see any real-world feedback!

Maybe just wait until @Hangar 111 is slightly less busy at work. I'm sure that he will be happy to confirm.

(But the answer is 'yes'). ;)

• Haha 1

There's a few over on our side of the pond that have used 4xx clutch parts in the S1s. I've seen nothing but positive posts on LT about using those bits, so that'll likely be the route I take when it's time for a clutch job. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, agentdr8 said:

There's a few over on our side of the pond that have used 4xx clutch parts in the S1s. I've seen nothing but positive posts on LT about using those bits, so that'll likely be the route I take when it's time for a clutch job. 

Thanks, that’s reassuring. I’ve asked the question of Lotus Silverstone. Waiting for a response 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Brendonian said:

Thanks, that’s reassuring. I’ve asked the question of Lotus Silverstone. Waiting for a response 👍🏻

I be interested to know what the final cost would be from Silverstone ? 

My 2010 NA done 42k and I am not a hard driver or regular user it’s still goes through a little heavy traffic on days I do use it.

i assume the parts even upgraded as others suggested wouldn’t be major element but labour would ? 

I have an independent guy in Leicester who labour charges would be less than dealership so might be worth me looking into this as future proof when my clutch pops ? 

23 minutes ago, Cdm2018 said:

I be interested to know what the final cost would be from Silverstone ? 

My 2010 NA done 42k and I am not a hard driver or regular user it’s still goes through a little heavy traffic on days I do use it.

i assume the parts even upgraded as others suggested wouldn’t be major element but labour would ? 

I have an independent guy in Leicester who labour charges would be less than dealership so might be worth me looking into this as future proof when my clutch pops ? 

I’m intrigued (or is that concerned?) to know what it’s going to cost. I have an idea in mind, but I’m probably way out. 

As you suggest, I imagine the labour will be the bulk of the cost, so your independent may well be a good option. 

7 minutes ago, Brendonian said:

I’m intrigued (or is that concerned?) to know what it’s going to cost. I have an idea in mind, but I’m probably way out. 

As you suggest, I imagine the labour will be the bulk of the cost, so your independent may well be a good option. 

My 2010 had a replacement clutch at 35,000 miles at JCT lotus, before I purchased it, the receipt says it came to £3,000 if that’s any help to you.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scotty435 said:

My 2010 had a replacement clutch at 35,000 miles at JCT lotus, before I purchased it, the receipt says it came to £3,000 if that’s any help to you.

Thanks. That’s the general area I expected. Unfortunately, I need new disks and pads at the front, so it’s definitely going to add up to a big one. 

• Like 1

I have a 400 clutch and flywheel fitted to my 2011 S recently by Hangar111.  It feels identical to the original.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brendonian said:

Thanks. That’s the general area I expected. Unfortunately, I need new disks and pads at the front, so it’s definitely going to add up to a big one. 

Yes I have the same replacement due in next few months all brakes & discs but also two front tyres ☹️

So my fingers are tightly crossed that my clutch keeps going but I must say the clutch action and gear change is bit ropey which might be the gear linkage but the clutch action worries me as it’s heavy and my left knee is taking a strain ?

must say when I tried a clutch in a 400 in central lotus it was super light hence the use of clutch sounds a good solution if that’s result ?

1 hour ago, plenty said:

I have a 400 clutch and flywheel fitted to my 2011 S recently by Hangar111.  It feels identical to the original.

No difference in pedal weight? That’s what I expected. Do you notice a difference from the lighter flywheel? Does the engine rev up and down a little faster?