free hit
counters
Starting engine after lay up. - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PhilW

Starting engine after lay up.

Got a spark, got petrol, distributor seems like it should be right, HT leads correct. Getting a sort of puff putt from exhaust so sort of is doing something but they are minimal. 

In the distributor there are 4 sort of pointy bits on the rotating shaft. On the fixed part there is like a tiny little something so am guessing that when these two align it should give a spark. This is only a guess but the two clips of the dizzy cap are sitting around 3 and 9 o clock as previously advised so suspect i am close. This was positioned when engine was at TDC. Anyone give me any further pointers?  Thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Getting close mate. Will be great to see you in a lotus again 

• Like 1

Align the rotor & pickup at 12 degrees before TDC static (not TDC) with the corresponding pliug lead going to cylinnder 1.   Check you are not 180 degrees out by ensuring the cam pulley dots are almost aligned.   Adjust timing with a light once you are running.

Steve

cam pulley dots are aligned.  For the 12 degrees , do you mean rotate the distributor 12 degrees off whilst the engine is at TDC?  Probably sounding a bit thick but is the 12 degress a bit of a guess or am i looking for something?

Thanks

Just found section EMD in the service notes.  Think I get it.  Will adjust this evening

I mean rotate the engine until the crank is 1 2degrees BTDC then align the rotor and the pickup on no 1. cylinder, this will roughly equate to setting the timing to 12degrees BTDC, which is the starting point for adjusting the timing

Thank you Steve.  Hopefully the next post will include the word YYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Phil - The next step to set the timing dynamically (engine running) with a timing light and  the engine max advance - approx +3000 RPM.   You would then adjust timing to book spec which I recall is 28 degrees BTDC - Good result so far!

Absolutely at my wits end.

Car is running but rough.  How on earth are you supposed to get at the distributor at rotate it with the plenum chamber on.  I am running with the back cover of the plenum chamber that holds the 4 x carb  air inlet trumpets only.    This plate has the accelerator mounting cable attached so if you remove it  for access that just cocks up trying to maintain revs from the pedal.  The cover with the word TURBO in the casting is off.

I am close to throwing the towel in on them.

I have everything in place on the engine. Right hand squezes under carbs and holds distributor cap, left hand loosens distributor clamp with long screwdriver or a flexible extension on a socket from between the carbs from the top. Before you loosen bracket push cap towards distributor so distributor doesn't spring out. Adjust distributor rotation and retighten clamp all whilst pushing distributor cap. I always adjust with engine off. Retest and repeat if necessary. It is very doable with the engine and ancillary's all in place. 

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, Steve4012 said:

Right hand squezes under carbs and holds distributor cap, left hand loosens distributor clamp with long screwdriver or a flexible extension on a socket from between the carbs from the top. Before you loosen bracket push cap towards distributor so distributor doesn't spring out. Adjust distributor rotation and retighten clamp all whilst pushing distributor cap

Exactly like that works for me too,  although, I'm comfortable doing this with the engine running. 

Thanks both of you. Presumably you are adjusting by engine sound or are you using someone else on a timing light as you adjust?

A 2nd set of hands sounds a good idea,  Other than the initial static start, I only use a timing lamp   I'm OK to do it single handed, but as Steve points out the dizzy is mildly spring loaded so needs to be either clamped or held down to avoid it ejecting its drive slot in the block.   I only back-off the clamp the bare minimum so I can just rotate the dizzy, but know that maybe 1/2 turn on the securing screw will lock it back up.   Get a feel for this before trying it 'for real'

Also recommend white highlighting (paint!)your timing marks on the flywheel before starting.   Also use a powered timing lamp. not an old one that just uses the HT

Edited by 910Esprit

Thanks Steve.  I will try some dry runs tonight.  Got a powered light so hopefully will get somewhere.

not sure if its already been covered but might be worth checking that your timing marks are correct by checking TDC on piston #1. Mine was not correct which lead me up the garden path when trying to do the above. FYI I adjusted mine with the engine running eventually as it was just much quicker to do.

C43