free hit
counters
So where is the 'Sub-Woofer' located? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

On a current spec GT410 that is. I specced and paid for one on my car, together with the upgraded head unit, but I'm not entirely convinced it is fitted or, if it is, that it's actually working. To be perfectly honest, I don't listen to a great deal of music in the car but whilst out with the wife at the weekend, she commented that the sound wasn't that great and I have to admit, she's quite right. Now it may well be that I simply need to set the thing up properly but before I try doing that, can anybody please tell me where the sub-woofer is when fitted?

Many thanks

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lots of good info HERE

• Like 1

Great thanks. I'll take a look later as when I faded to the rear, everything just went quiet, so I was thinking maybe it's not fitted/connected, but maybe I do just need to play with the settings.

It might be worth having a look through this too...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spinney said:

Great thanks. I'll take a look later as when I faded to the rear, everything just went quiet, so I was thinking maybe it's not fitted/connected, but maybe I do just need to play with the settings.

I've done this and had the same result. But mine has a sub-woofer fitted, according to the certificate of conformity and everything. So I guess its there - my ear isn't good enough to tell

Your ear is good enough to tell. It is either working and can be both heard and felt, or it's not working.

The subwoofer isn’t necessarily wired up to the subwoofer channel (believe or not!). You might need to play around with the balance and fader to work out exactly which channel that it has been wired to. 

I've downloaded @CocoPops settings from the Alpine ap. Hopefully that will clear it up as I bought the car from him!

Just checked and my car does appear to have the speaker in the location shown behind the drivers seat, so I'll get playing with it and report back.:thumbup:

Hmmm well, not entirely successful but I’m now thinking maybe I don’t fully understand precisely what a sub woofer does. With the volume turned up and the balance towards the back, I could hear just a sort of bass beat going on, but not the actual music itself. Is this what it’s meant to sound like?

As you can maybe tell, I’m an old git and not really in to the niceties of hifi sound!

Think perhaps I’ll just leave well alone and stick to the simple stuff, like turning off the head unit and listening to the exhaust note which, to be honest, is generally all I did anyway until the wife commented on the audio sound quality. 😱😁 

Ah ok, but I wouldn't say it was particularly loud though.

It should only handle the lowest frequencies. So on it’s own it will sound muddy and horrible - not musical.

sounds like you have confirmed it is working.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mik said:

It should only handle the lowest frequencies. So on it’s own it will sound muddy and horrible - not musical.

sounds like you have confirmed it is working.

You might have confirmed the presence of a sub but next question is the unit of decent quality ? 

If yours is same stock oem part then answer is No ! If your not worried about sound quality then leave it but I changed the head unit and my sub wasn’t even wired correctly so changed it and added a small amount of sound insulation in the housing area to aid quality.

Frankly, I'm not too bothered about sound quality, if I'm being completely honest, so I will leave things alone, I think.  It's interesting to know precisely how these things work and knowing what I do now, thanks to the replies here, I probably would have saved myself a few quid and not specced it with the sub woofer. In my naivety, I imagined a speaker in the rear would simply allow me to balance the music side to side and front to rear rather as it does in my other cars but hey ho, we live and learn. 🙂

Yes just leave it if your not to fussed

it becomes a mass of subjective tastes

a decent sub works well with a decent headunit and then speakers then sound insulation etc 

3 hours ago, Spinney said:

Frankly, I'm not too bothered about sound quality, if I'm being completely honest, so I will leave things alone, I think.  It's interesting to know precisely how these things work and knowing what I do now, thanks to the replies here, I probably would have saved myself a few quid and not specced it with the sub woofer. In my naivety, I imagined a speaker in the rear would simply allow me to balance the music side to side and front to rear rather as it does in my other cars but hey ho, we live and learn. 🙂

4 hours ago, Cdm2018 said:

You might have confirmed the presence of a sub but next question is the unit of decent quality ? 

If yours is same stock oem part then answer is No ! If your not worried about sound quality then leave it but I changed the head unit and my sub wasn’t even wired correctly so changed it and added a small amount of sound insulation in the housing area to aid quality.

Yes - I wasnt making any claims in relation to the quality of the oem driver.

Out of idle interest - any point upgrading that unit without touching the head unit or anything else? Or waste of time?

Edited by mik

2 minutes ago, mik said:

Yes - I wasnt making any claims in relation to the quality of the oem driver.

Out of idle interest - any point upgrading that unit without touching the head unit or anything else? Or waste of time?

In my opinion the headunit is key if you were going to change the sub and even the door speakers as the oem amp for the sub I found it to be pants but then I have a 2010 NA tech so maybe later editions could have a better spec ? 

I left the speakers but in truth the upgrade to speakers would complete the job but I felt my funds were limited and will leave it to later date? In addition my son did the labour work for the sub so I saved stack of cash 

Defo cant be 4rsed changing the head unit, and I dont think sound will ever be good so guess I wont bother. :)

Just open the window! Can't remember the last time I had the stereo on in the Evora! :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Bibs said:

Just open the window! Can't remember the last time I had the stereo on in the Evora! :thumbsup:

Lol given recent weather that’s true but nothing like a couple of nice tunes in background to make the journey in the Evora even more pleasurable ? 

Yeah that is my normal preference too, but on the odd occaision that I do use it (motorway slogs) good sound quality always beats bad sound quality. I am happy to look at cheap / easy improvements. No interest in spending any significant money on upgrades though....

1 hour ago, mik said:

Yeah that is my normal preference too, but on the odd occaision that I do use it (motorway slogs) good sound quality always beats bad sound quality. I am happy to look at cheap / easy improvements. No interest in spending any significant money on upgrades though....

Too be fair getting good quality audio equip is not hugely expensive I found it was the labour charges that car audio make which makes it costly ? 

I was lucky besides the HU install costs at car audio shop which glad I did do as it turned out to be tricky job my son who is adept and young fitted the sub !