free hit
counters
Help to identify this Turbo Esprit - Page 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
eeyoreish

Help to identify this Turbo Esprit

I'm obviously hoping that's not my car but would appreciate that everyone hang fire from any declarations that it 'must be' my car before we see more evidence!

If it has been shunted it's been beautifully repaired, no sign of repair whatsoever. I know my car has had some paint on the drivers side front wing but that doesn't look like a part of the car that was damaged in the shunt. I'll have another close look at my front chin spoiler. It's obvious from those photos where it would have been touched up. I never had my chin spoiler resprayed and believe it to be the original paint with stone chips consistent with its mileage. The roof radio was fitted at the factory in my car so that would have helped narrow it down and my car was fitted with BBS from new and those do look like Comps in the old pics. Certainly no record of my car ever wearing AN12. Best I can to rule my car out for now is to draw your attention to the placement of the Turbo Esprit decals on the nose.

Of course they could have been replaced but they have faded very slightly compared to the more recently applied red side stripes so I believe them to be original. No need to replace the decals on AN12 as they look fine. The b of turbo is just off the badge centre on my car. The decals are definitely more over to the right on AN12. The old pics of my car with the Essex stripes show the front decals in the same place that they are now.

TEfront.thumb.jpg.bb1a9eb1a5a92f0c9352e0ac6ba9b90d.jpg

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Here's a very early pic of my car at Brands Hatch, best guess 1982. On BBS as you can see and wearing SAV 176X.

14635618483_ae93d2dc6a_b.jpg.19c552dda041f6cb5a4862195f05f231.jpg

• Like 2

@The Pits thanks for having a look at this. From what I read about the history of your car I'm not sure it fits with being yours either as the geography of the early owners doesn''t necessarily fit with the car being up north. I remember the name Alan Darlington as (supposedly) being the owner of AN12 back then but that might not be accurate. 

Re the details; I also notice that your Giugiaro badges are also significantly higher above the waistline than on AN12. I'd be interested in (privately) knowing if you do find any suggestion that there's a link to your car, if only to satisfy my own curiosity!

Otherwise it's all leading towards there being another white car wearing half Essex livery back in the day...?

Not worth starting anything now...🍺

Good spot on the Giugiaro badges! 

From my factory provenance certificate there were 3 Monaco White cars which left the factory in 1981 with Essex stripes. The other two also had full red leather but mine was the only one with the Panasonic Cockpit roof mounted stereo. The first owner of the car was a company based in Spalding, Lincs.

28 minutes ago, The Pits said:

there were 3 Monaco White cars which left the factory in 1981 with Essex stripes. 

We seem to have 4 known cars so this indicates either one of them had the stripes added or there was a duplicate.

The one I owned (white mirrors, BBS, stripes only)
Your car
The French car (white mirrors, Compomotives, full logo)
AN12 (BBS, stripes only)

The front location of the decal on yours is correct. The one on AN12 is not, so thats been replaced. Its possible all the decals including the Essex stripes were added aftermarket.

For what it’s worth I don’t agree with the front decal position being correct on Jonny’s car (sorry mate😬) - all seems a bit anal but the facts are, that everything I’ve ever seen points to that decal being positioned slightly off centre to the right ie like the one on the AN12 car and pictured below 

610B1B52-91F0-4E92-9B61-2403798952DE.jpeg

50A9992A-AACD-4CA5-B3C0-4B7EDD654325.jpeg

62A31306-7624-46DA-AF8A-9C2573CE27CF.jpeg

10D84D07-9749-4E6D-9956-F2B587FE1DF5.png

The mind boggles as to what you got up to in that in the 80s! Quite the man about town!

What a cool car to own back in its heyday though. It must have felt light years ahead of its time in an era of comedy turbo lag and high maintenance exotics with dodgy handling.

I think AN12 was on Comps but that's just my best guess, very hard to be sure.

I don't have any clue about how many white Turbo Esprits left the factory with Essex stripes in '82 or '83 so there could well be more with Essex stripes out there.

Yeah that was my one car so I commuted into the City with it where I looked after mainframe computers. I used to park outside the Guildhall. It only ever (almost) let me down once when the alternator failed but I still got home on battery power.

1 hour ago, stephenwhyte said:

For what it’s worth I don’t agree with the front decal position being correct on Jonny’s car (sorry mate😬) - all seems a bit anal but the facts are, that everything I’ve ever seen points to that decal being positioned slightly off centre to the right ie like the one on the AN12 car and pictured below 

Sorry yes you are absolutely correct, checked the service notes. memory going :)

• Like 1

I don't think consistency with decals was Lotus's strong point in the 80s!

959_428806573.jpg.73664dce37ee57c9aea162e79f3413b9.jpg

1000x-1.jpg.ab2fdfed4384e49569305d150d10ea1f.jpg

James_Bonds_Esprit_Turbo.jpg.59af9de5165c45b7008cfb65865be440.jpg1980-lotus-turbo-esprit.jpg.314e531fc6f8274959ddfe805dc93d26.jpg

• Like 1

In the above the real Bond white car has it correct, the others probably had the decal replaced. I would guess they used some kind of jig to position in the factory.
The white Bond car in the Dezer museum has the wrong side graphics, they are the later small ones.

Untitled.png

😂......like it Jonny but I expect better from you😉

LHD Blue Essex above was a restoration from memory so those decals weren’t applied by Lotus👎

Bronze FYEO auction car was also iffy in various areas and one of those was the application of the front decal👎

And if I was a betting man I’d say that white Turbo from the Deezer collection in the bottom pic is wrong as the badge location has also been played with👎

Bond pic is perfect as per how Lotus intended👍

Surprised at you!😄😉

In all seriousness though I reckon your car left Hethal without the Turbo Esprit decals......and was chrome Essex striped only🤔

Looks like my car had front decals at Brands Hatch in 1982.

Either way I'm not moving my decals or swapping with AN 12 for love nor money!

Besides, mine is the actual FYEO car, as you can see proven here ;)

https://en.wheelsage.org/lotus/esprit/34540/pictures/c8tsxu/

• Haha 1

That photo deserves adding for its beauty alone😎👌

87AFF46E-9296-43F7-BAB0-58E8C243DC9F.jpeg

• Like 1

Here's another car from back in the day - looks like a centred decal

spacer.png

That must have been replaced as its the wrong size decal.

Good to know there's still a place on the internet where fellow Esprit owners can discuss the merits of nose decal placement within 17mm! :thumbup:

There's no arguing with Chris's magnificent car nor any question marks over its ownership history!

But wtf was going on with that Deezer car?! Getting the decals a few mm off is one thing but how do you accidentally get the decals and the nose badge the wrong way around?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, The Pits said:

But wtf was going on with that Deezer car?! Getting the decals a few mm off is one thing but how do you accidentally get the decals and the nose badge the wrong way around?

Been in a bump maybe?

Bump on the head for the guy fitting the badge and decals maybe!

Still, we might have stumbled across a new Turbo Esprit controversy - did any cars leave the factory with centred decals? It's taken nearly 40 years for anyone to notice but here we are! :thumbup:

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Id say its much later car. My Esprit has the nose badge at the bottom and as a post 84 has no nose decal. The Deezer car looks like someone has changed the nose badge from the wickens type to the ACBC type and just wapped on the decals where they would fit!

bbe37460ae004048347ed84e3066cfe6.jpg

buddsy

• Like 2

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

48 minutes ago, The Pits said:

And the side decals the wrong size.

And no stripes.

This not a later car, its 0929. It was the actual car used by Lotus for promo purposes for FYEO. Both the cars used in the movie, 0930 and 0858 ended up copper bronze. No idea why this car was resprayed but whoever did it evidently didnt do any checking of the badging!
Guess it must have been front ended as if it was only resprayed the original badge holes would have been there.

IMG_4303.JPG.4270b84f46b0b59a7d246eee850c79a2.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Good to know there's still a place on the internet where fellow Esprit owners can discuss the merits of nose decal placement within 17mm! :thumbup:

No way that is more like 15mm 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The other Dezer car with Lotus applied decals and broken bonnet :)

This was movie car 0930 

bonnet.jpg