free hit
counters
Help to identify this Turbo Esprit - Page 3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
eeyoreish

Help to identify this Turbo Esprit

Maybe the original decals and Lotus badge were blown off OPW654W in a “burglar protected” incident and the damage so bad the only option was a new front end!!😉

B82361AE-0875-411D-80E9-914CD1D3650F.jpeg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Putting girls on the bonnet, a very 80's approach to improving front-end grip!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got to do em on the bonnet cause you aint doing anything inside!

buddsy 

• Haha 2

So when did they stop putting the turbo decal on the front. My 85 didn't have it

What have I started?!! My '84 decals are very faded but offset to the right BTW...

image2.JPG.5f7b980657c490933488faaf0db406d0.JPG

So anyway, as I was saying, who has AN12 then..? 🤔

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, pete said:

So when did they stop putting the turbo decal on the front. My 85 didn't have it

Jan 85

buddsy

2 hours ago, The Pits said:

Good to know there's still a place on the internet where fellow Esprit owners can discuss the merits of nose decal placement within 17mm! :thumbup:

Thats nothing, lets start a discussion on differences in the shape of the t ! Have a look through the pictures posted above and it changes!

HeaterPanel.jpg

HeaterPanel2.jpg

• Haha 2

Looks to me like the wider “t” only featured on the early Essex Turbos......but when the logo was then featured on the side of the car in place of the Essex logo and stripes, the narrower “t” was born......which then puts Barry’s in doubt as to whether it’s original 😳. Tricky stuff to discuss this - Lotus certainly keep us on our toes anyway!😄 Note the original Turbo Esprit mock-up below had a different Turbo Esprit logo again as did KAH540V......same car?

4A9A7F52-F847-42C5-B05C-58AE6FDCD89B.jpeg

E6B4833F-FEFD-4FBA-8523-027FA84B2170.jpeg

29827060-486B-4EE8-90A7-9F4E5CA07DE9.jpeg

BA00AB0B-83BE-4A19-AFDD-168E8DE5E552.jpeg

Incidentally @nello has OVU84W sold as I don’t seem to be able to find it advertised now? Would loved to have been able to buy that car👍 The pic above of the car is a complete beauty😎

The wider T is from the S1 logo, which got incorporated into the Turbo graphic. Not sure if Lotus did this or some other graphic supplier. Could be wrong but I suspect all the Turbo Esprit with the wide T are non-factory applied.

Service notes show narrow t in the diagram of the Essex nose decals.

The silvered vinyl used on the Essex oxidises from underneath and all Essex with good decals must have had them replaced since new.

1 hour ago, Bazza 907 said:

That's a new one. 

Not making it up. The silvered vinyl develops dark or white spots at the edges. 

8 minutes ago, Andyww said:

Not making it up. The silvered vinyl develops dark or white spots at the edges. 

Andy, I'm sure you're not. You may have seem some like that but it doesn't mean that those in good condition have all been replaced. 

• Like 1

Maybe the oxidised ones are the replacements

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, stephenwhyte said:

Incidentally @nello has OVU84W sold as I don’t seem to be able to find it advertised now? Would loved to have been able to buy that car👍 The pic above of the car is a complete beauty😎

Awesome photo Bazza 😎

Stephen - No.017 will be in the Coys Auction at Blenheim Palace later this month.

The photo you posted shows the car being driven by the journalist Martin Buckley. It was for a road test review comparison Classic and Sportscar did back in 1995 - I'm sure I have added this before but this is the complete article - https://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Turbo_Esprit_Versus_Ferrari_308GTB.htm

Paul who owned the Essex  (now sadly no longer with us :( ) can be seen 'thrashing' the 308 - one of my favourite memories of him :) 

• Like 1