free hit
counters
Novice Looking for advice - Page 2 - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Novice Looking for advice

just for info, you should test drive the k series engine,  pre 2005 , it has  much better spread of torque across the rev range  than the base n/a  toyota engine which needs to be reved  high rpm to extract pleasing  performance making it perhaps less fun on the roads.?.  lots of arguments either way on the engine side..people will both with great passion but ino they are both great fun , i like both for different reasons,  both very reliable if looked after.. go drive em both see what you prefer.. i thin  the k series feels much more  alive, quicker and suited the elise chassis better.. at this bhp level ..  its also lighter so win win.. but only a drive give you the answers..

obviously a supercharged engine is a whole different ballgame.. 

aj

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Paul,   what Neil says is spot on mate, you need to narrow your search then go and have a look, once you got that nailed there are plenty of meets and people on here will help and personally

Yes @pete and while you're there ask them where the engine was in the Elite and Eclat 😂

No headlights

Posted Images

Ok thanks, it looks nice but black is most probably my least favourite colour other than white. Thanks for bringing it to my attention anyway. Much appreciated. 

27 minutes ago, andyj007 said:

just for info, you should test drive the k series engine,  pre 2005 , it has  much better spread of torque across the rev range  than the base n/a  toyota engine which needs to be reved  high rpm to extract pleasing  performance making it perhaps less fun on the roads.?.  lots of arguments either way on the engine side..people will both with great passion but ino they are both great fun , i like both for different reasons,  both very reliable if looked after.. go drive em both see what you prefer.. i thin  the k series feels much more  alive, quicker and suited the elise chassis better.. at this bhp level ..  its also lighter so win win.. but only a drive give you the answers..

obviously a supercharged engine is a whole different ballgame.. 

aj

Most of what you have put above is like a different language, straight over my head. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between one engine or performance of any lotus lol I know I may sound vacuous and shallow but the most important thing to me is how it looks and as long as it keeps running nicely and doesn't need much spending on it bar MOT's and services then I'm content enough.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, pete said:

Yes, that indeed seems to be a very good find! Looks very well maintained.

With your budget, for 2K you can easily get it wrapped white if you wanted to! 

Would the engine be louder in your ears if the engine is situated in the front or the back of an elise? also hypothetically if you were finding that the engine was too loud could you put some sort of silencer on the car that could be removed prior to selling? Thanks  

6 hours ago, shanew48 said:

No, they are serious questions, feared that they may come off as odd things to ask but genuinely would like to know the answers if at all possible.

You're asking if you can swap the engine to the front? If so, no. It could be possible if you deconstruct the whole car, modify the chassis and spend 30k euro but still, don't even think it would fit and also, why would you as it ruins the weight distribution.

You can easily add a silenced muffler and those aren't super expensive. if it is for personal driving comfort, just get one with sound insulation. That should help quite a bit. (Can also be retro-fitted quite easily without big cost)

Edited by Petrolgeneration
  • Gold FFM

@shanew48 would you buy a Focus RS and then go on their forum and ask if you put the engine in the back?   Or a Porsche Coxster and ask the same?

I'm struggling to see any logic or align with the thought processes with that question. Sorry.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 hours ago, C8RKH said:

@shanew48 would you buy a Focus RS and then go on their forum and ask if you put the engine in the back?   Or a Porsche Coxster and ask the same?

I'm struggling to see any logic or align with the thought processes with that question. Sorry.

What I actually meant was I have seen some elises advertised where it states that the engine is situated in the back and others where they state that the engine is situated at the front of the car so was wondering if it makes any difference to how loud the engine is in your ears as presumably if the engine is situated directly behind you then I'm guessing you will be closer to it than if it was in front of you under the bonnet, so the question was never about moving the engine from back to front or vice versa, possibly I didn't explain my question clearly enough previously but I was defiantly not attempting to wind anyone up. 

4 hours ago, Petrolgeneration said:

You're asking if you can swap the engine to the front? If so, no. It could be possible if you deconstruct the whole car, modify the chassis and spend 30k euro but still, don't even think it would fit and also, why would you as it ruins the weight distribution.

You can easily add a silenced muffler and those aren't super expensive. if it is for personal driving comfort, just get one with sound insulation. That should help quite a bit. (Can also be retro-fitted quite easily without big cost)

No like I say it was never a question of moving/swapping the engine at all.

Ok well at least there would be an option to make the engine not as loud if required, I doubt it would come to that but good to know that it is an option if required. Thanks

6 minutes ago, shanew48 said:

What I actually meant was I have seen some elises advertised where it states that the engine is situated in the back and others where they state that the engine is situated at the front of the car so was wondering if it makes any difference to how loud the engine is in your ears as presumably if the engine is situated directly behind you then I'm guessing you will be closer to it than if it was in front of you under the bonnet, so the question was never about moving the engine from back to front or vice versa, possibly I didn't explain my question clearly enough previously but I was defiantly not attempting to wind anyone up. 

No like I say it was never a question of moving/swapping the engine at all.

Ok well at least there would be an option to make the engine not as loud if required, I doubt it would come to that but good to know that it is an option if required. Thanks

Every Elise is mid-engined so probably advertised wrong.

If you don't like engine noise, consider getting a radio, sound proofing and an aftermarket dB killer and you should be fine. I don't understand why you would want to get rid of all the noise it makes though. Stock elise in my opinion isn't a very loud car. If I have to leave at home at 7am with my C63, that is what I call loud and embarassing. Cold start wakes up half the neighbourhood.

Elise engine/exhaust noise really isn’t that loud. The only way to tell is to drive one.

if you buy a standard, unmodified car you won’t have a problem. Most people want to fit a louder exhaust!

I only ask as I read somewhere where someone was saying that the engine was so loud they had to wear ear plugs, as you can see from the following elise the engine must be situated in the boot? is it more common for the engine to be in the front under the bonnet where it is on most other makes of car or do you find that quite a few elises have the engine in the boot as opposed to in front of you under the bonnet? Thanks

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-Lotus-Elise-1-6-16V-Club-Racer-S3-Saffron-Yellow-FSH-Only-17k-Miles/283485069786?hash=item420106e1da:g:6pAAAOSwFQNc2x~d

Edited by shanew48

All Elise's are mid engined. The only front engined lotus was the m100 elan

• Confused 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

• Gold FFM

I believe you'd find a visit to a Lotus dealer most informative.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

5 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I believe you'd find a visit to a Lotus dealer most informative.

Yes @pete and while you're there ask them where the engine was in the Elite and Eclat 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You can get a front mid engine configuration, if the engine is mounted behind the front 'axle' line. Not that this applies to the Elise, which is the conventional mid engine layout :ninja:

17 hours ago, pete said:

All Elise's are mid engined. The only front engined lotus was the m100 elan

15 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Meant to say only 2seater convertible lotus made

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

On 07/06/2019 at 00:23, pete said:

is this a wind up

I am still struggling to believe it is not!

i think we should debate the merits of fwd vs 4wd Elises though.

• Gold FFM
32 minutes ago, PAR said:

I am still struggling to believe it is not!

i think we should debate the merits of fwd vs 4wd Elises though.

And why would you miss out my preference which is melted white chocolate over the navel, oh shit, sorry, wrong forum, I meant RWD...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!