free hit
counters
“Barnfind” early S3 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

“Barnfind” early S3

Came across this sorry state S3 N/A in a backyard in Singapore. Never thought it would be possible to find anything like it here... it’s been sitting there for decades by the looks of it. It’s been modified with turbo sills and has 4 stud compomotives on the rear... Engine and box seems to be still in. It’s got the black badge so probably an 83 car. Did the S3 have a 4 stud compo option? Seems odd. There was nobody around to speak with so I left my number. Let’s see if somebody calls...

02BEADE0-6512-40D1-ADB5-9DF324B198E7.jpeg

32454375-C4EC-4BA8-8C4D-023325927989.jpeg

3BE52902-17F3-43B5-9CB9-9ED9852BB535.jpeg

E3532777-9C54-492F-9208-979FF0A7674F.jpeg

18C3B1F3-536F-4BA3-8C70-105D2FE5359F.jpeg

Ad initium

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yikes! Make an offer on the Comps and run for the hills 

Looks like an S2 to me, with turbo body kit and filler caps. 

Looks like the original colour (red) has been overpainted and the "new" blue paint has just peeled away, due to the sun/heat I'd guess.` The bumpers should be black and have been overpainted as well.

Posted Images

Looks like the original colour (red) has been overpainted and the "new" blue paint has just peeled away, due to the sun/heat I'd guess.` The bumpers should be black and have been overpainted as well.

Strange front wheels.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, ChrisJ said:

Strange front wheels.

It’s scorching hot here all the time. It’s a strange kind of peel. The way it bubbles makes me think It might have been wrapped at some point. All side trim is missing too/wrapped over. Sorry sight

Ad initium

• Like 2

Sudders and Dany

1 hour ago, Suddabym said:

It looks like an S3 steering wheel, would like to see the interior, as it's a bit unclear in the only show showing it.

That’s as close as I could get to it. Interior looks more like an S2 like Mark mentioned. Steering wheel doesn’t look original to me

88F597B2-C8BF-4D04-9B48-59E9341D34E1.png

F61740CE-20D9-49C9-81D8-94EB4CA1D0FF.png

• Confused 1

Ad initium

1 hour ago, Suddabym said:

The tail gate is definitely an S2. Perhaps early S3's didn't have that cut-out at the bottom?

It’s the seats and single DIN that make me think S2.  Good news is, is that paint will just fall off, I would image.  Looks far worse etc

Sudders and Dany

S2 seats, cloth interior. I like :)

I've seen S3 tailgates with and without a cut-out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 910Esprit said:

Also owns a 'classic' phonebox Presumably an ex-pat owner?

I think it’s a local owner by the look of the house, with an affinity for British memorabilia

Ad initium

• Gold FFM

@ChrisJ - seriously - I’m done Esprit wise now. I will keep the S4s probably forever - but that’s it I ain’t doing another.

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Early S3's had no cut out on the rear tailgate. This was introduced with a range of other minor cosmetic changes later on in production.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

The story continues. The owner eventually called and I went over for a look. The interior is in salvageable condition. The binnacle and instruments are clean. Looks like a UK S1... engine and gearbox are in, together with rear brakes and discs. No idea if there’s oil in the box. Carbs are missing and engine intake is open to elements with the carbs missing so it’s gone. Did this car start as an S1 and made to be looking like an S3? Looking at the paint, it could have been orange original, then white followed by red and blue... S1 doesn’t tally with the rear wheel compo’s though. Couldn’t find a VIN plate to verify. To make Long story short. The whole heap is available at basically no or little charge. The owner want to get it off his yard. He’s a nice chap. Anybody interested in it to part it out? There are certainly parts that could be re-used. Lotus rescue? 2ACF8D63-142D-4891-88E8-B958D90B9C48.thumb.jpeg.6233fe216f21b14b317fcb5879311c6b.jpeg

4741F148-1D53-4A72-8793-AF46CA218A1E.jpeg

F5C7ADEE-36D3-4A3C-82E3-0479A21A22FE.jpeg

Ad initium

Need more photos really.

Wheels are a piece of urine to fit, gauges aren't. How do I know, 'cos I did mine yesterday!

Almost certainly an S1.

Otherwise why would you fit a Veglia instrumentation cluster?

It is a very early S1. Look at the Ford Cortina demister vents in the upper dashboard.

Keys are in. Looks like it’s ready to go to a better home...😐

either that or it’s off to the scrapyard.

• Like 1

Ad initium