free hit
counters
Fan control otter switch - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Drawfiler

Fan control otter switch

I was checking the connections on my otter switch mounted in the cross pipe along the top of the road when it blew our showering water everywhere. I think the stainless clips that hold it in are a bit dodgy.

i made a u bolt to go round the tube from 6 mm Rod and a plate with 2 holes (rather like an exhaust clamp) and a larger hole in the centre to clear the connections for the switch. I then turned the crosspipe 90 degrees so the contacts face the engine and fitted the clamp. I can now get to the contacts without taking the bonnet off and the switch is secure.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good work Peter,  If the otter switch is the same as fittment type as the Esprit, many folks used one cable tie fitted each side of the switch to aid the very weak design of the stainless retaining clip :)

A

Mine came with safety wire round the pipe to hold in the slippery otter.

• Haha 1

A bit more detail, I made a hoop to go round the cross tube and threaded both ends, it might be easier to use a bit of m6 allthread, I then made up aplate with 3 holes in it, one in the centre to fit round the switch large enough to clear the terminals but the small enough to ensure it rested on the metal part of the switch,the other two holes were m6 clearance.

i then turned the crosspipe through 90 degrees so the switch hole faced the engine and put it all together.

I have tried to attach pictures,but they are difficult to compose becase the bonnet is in the way!

IMG_0690.JPG

Edited by Drawfiler
Add pics
  • Like 1