free hit
counters
Advices for buying a new Elise Sport 220 (2017 model) - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Cary

Advices for buying a new Elise Sport 220 (2017 model)

Hi all,

I am currently driving a Mazda Miata ND (2.0) and trying to switch to a brand new 2017 Model - Lotus Elise Sport 220.  I am very new to Lotus, should I go for this latest model? Or anything that I need to watch out for, such as reliability, maintenance or issues for this little car?    

Thanks a lot!   Cheers!

cary 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

In general the Lotus Elise is fairly reliable. If you're aware of the slightly reduced comfort you'll have compared to a Miata, you shouldn't worry too much. There are Lotus cars with tons of km's on it and still running perfect.

The latest version features the 'open gated' shifter and should shift a bit more tight and sharp, however I've never heard any real complaints on the 'closed' transmission lever. Engine isn't something to worry about as it is a Toyota engine used in tons of models. For maintenance, if you need to replace airfilters for example, just buy the Toyota OEM part. If you buy the one from Lotus, it's the same part with Toyota markings but they put it in a Lotus box and charge extra for that hehe.

You do need to take into account that the Elise is a low volume hand built car, not a mass produced Mazda. It is therefore more likely to suffer a few niggly problems which can be annoying but usually easily sorted by the dealer. General reliability is very good and the Toyota mechanicals very durable. If it’s new it will come with a three year warranty and the support of the dealer, so I wouldn’t be worried.

Maintenance costs are on a par with most new cars you buy these days. Lotus dealer rates may be a bit higher than average, but we’re not talking exotica here!

2017 was the crossover for a Facelift, so be aware of that.
Some minor changes and some larger ones, better gear shift being a major improvement on the "MY17.5" cars for example.

Thanks for all the great inputs! 

In fact, this potential elise which I am trying to get has been sitting in the showroom for 12 months. 

Not sure, if there are any issues in this car or has been put on track.   For a "brand new" car, the mileage has reached 700-ish km. 

I’d want to know where those 700km had come from! I very much doubt it has been on track, it won’t have had its first service yet.

If you’re seriously interested in it you could ask them for a download print out from the ecu which will tell you all you need to know about those 700km.

8 minutes ago, Neal H said:

I’d want to know where those 700km had come from! I very much doubt it has been on track, it won’t have had its first service yet.

If you’re seriously interested in it you could ask them for a download print out from the ecu which will tell you all you need to know about those 700km.

Agree. It probably was used as a demo car. No one will take such a low mile car on track.