free hit
counters
Cleaning a radiator core - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Smithy111

Cleaning a radiator core

Is there anyway to clean and flush out the radiator core in situ or out of car with it disconnected I.e. not putting any cleaning crap in the coolant system and engine? New rads are a little pricey and it isn’t leaking just not doing a great cooling job

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Drop the rad - and have it recored out to a three row unit. Should cost about £250.

else - drop the rad off and block one end - fill it up with vaikal or similar solution.

it could well be rammed with dead flys and road crap - but you can only find that pit by dropping it

Only here once

Yeah a recore might be best way to go, just checked prices of whole rads and around 650/750 with fans seems a lot for only a slightly hotter than normal running system. Need to check the thermostat and oil cooler operation before pulling rad out as if I take it out sounds like a pain of a job so new or recore will be going back in at that point.

Can the rad fins be jet washed with the fans removed from the back without removal?

Yes, that's possible, but I wouldn't use a pressure washer on those delicate fins! And you have to ask yourself where all the debris you wash out will go: into the oil cooler and aircon condensor. With those blocked, you wont have much airflow to the main rad either.

I know it's a helluva job, with a lot of risk of bolts snapping and fasteners working lose, but the only good way to clean the rads is to remove them. I must confess I'm putting it off myself as well, because I know things will break. My Esprit is not overheating, not even in the most extreme situations, so not a problem but I do get the feeling the temperature is rising faster when in traffic. A good clean is probably due. I have used compressed air to blow through the rad (from the back), not too much work and it can only help keep the fins clean.

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

@Escape, I'm thinking of blowing out the radiator debris from behind as well (apparently should be part of A and B services according to the service manual).

Did you encounter any issues when using compressed air to de-debris the radiator pack?

Robin, no issues. For access you can remove the fans, not too much work or risk. 

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.