free hit
counters
front brake pads and fitting kit pre 85 - Misc including parts cross references - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Mark Wainwright

front brake pads and fitting kit pre 85

Hi all, 

Ive done some digging around and the fitting kit and pads appear to be from a 75-85 vauxhall chevette.  no anti squeal shims in the kit.

will verify this when i come to fitting them.

Edited by Mark Wainwright

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I was always under the impression that the pre 85 Front brakes came from the Triumph/british leyland parts bin i.e gt6 etc ?

A

5 hours ago, silverfrost said:

I was always under the impression that the pre 85 Front brakes came from the Triumph/british leyland parts bin i.e gt6 etc ?

I was under the same impression, but i believe i came upon the chevette stuff from a part number which I cross referenced (I cant be sure but it was a bit of an aha! moment as i was having no real luck finding a fitting kit that looked right from triumph stuff), and discovered the part looks idential to the part in the manual, whereas the spitfire stuff doesn`t look the same, apart from the shims.  pads also, similar on triumph but not identical, but possible they fit, though chevette pads from first glance look exactly the same.    i`ll verify if the fitting kit is right this week when i go over to the garage.   

i have both kits to try, a gt6 kit and the chevette one. 

Edited by Mark Wainwright

I know you are probably looking for a cheaper option but SJ Sportscars do sell the shims, retaining clips and pins. Not a bad price either. :)

It's getting there......

It stands to reason that with Opel Ascona based suspension, the UK equivalent being Mk 1 Cavalier, brakes would have been Vauxhall Cavalier/Chevette 

Yes and No, because this shim kit seems to be for all pre-85 which is both Vauxhall derived and Triumph derived, so it must be a fairly common mounting pattern for the bolts, meaning the calipers could equally have come from a non-Vauxhalll and non-Triumph source.

On 07/06/2019 at 20:31, TAR said:

I know you are probably looking for a cheaper option but SJ Sportscars do sell the shims, retaining clips and pins. Not a bad price either. :)

it wasnt so much to save a few pennies as to find out where they were from..  though i couldnt and still cant find the retaining stuff for pre 85 s3 on SJ`s.   however...  having tried both kits ( i actually had a vauxhall chevette and a GT6 kit.. neither are exactly right.. its not the vauxhall chevette kit as the pins are too thick..  the gt6 pins are right but the shims in that kit dont have holes in the right place.. and finally, i couldnt work out how to fit the pad spring clips from the triumph kit.. didnt seem right.    

so i still have incomplete front brakes...

• Sad 1