free hit
counters
Exhaust pipes differ in color - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PJ

Exhaust pipes differ in color

Hi, 

The two exhaust pipes differ in color too much from each other. It doesn't look good like this. One is just plain chrome but the other has the 'heat treated' color. Any ideas on how to get them the same (again)? 

It's an exhaust similar to https://www.komo-tec.com/en/lotus-evora/na/exhaust/85/lotus-oem-sport-exhaust-exige-s-v6/evora-s

Thanks, Patrick 

Screenshot_20190608-104228_Gallery.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good question, I don't know actually. My Lotus dealer heated it up red burning but told me they did not get the other one to color similar... Any thoughts?? 

it’s certainty not the OEM titanium exhaust you have. Do you know who the manufacturer is? 

Worst case you could maybe buy titanium or carbon tips to replace them with? @BatMobile just completed a great thread on his project. 

I am not sure how you colour titanium other than it’s through a process of heating it up. 

• Like 1

There is another way. It involves 9V batteries, tinfoil and full sugar coke. I did it on my titanium tips on another car and it worked well. See if you can google it.

Thanks, yes I'd rather not cut them off to replace... 

Can't find the tutorial on using batteries though. I do know that coke and aluminum can be used as a polish. I think the heat should perhaps become more intense to color the other pipe around 600 degrees, not sure. 

Go back to where you bought it from!

If you can’t colour them the same then I’d swap them out for new tips. 

Its not that much of an issue and mine were rewelded on better than lotus got through janspeed. 

You have 3” tips so you could even go bigger to 3.5”.

Yes that's an idea indeed. We'll I bought the car with the remark that both tips should be similar either color heated or chrome so let's see what happens! 

Got my Exige and left the keys behind of the R111. The exhaust pipes where removable tips and coloring looks ok now! 

20190614_162158.jpg

20190615_233609.jpg

Edited by PJ
  • Like 1