free hit
counters
Supercharger sound - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lupoletto

Supercharger sound

Hello Lotus fans,

I own an Evora S since this summer and it is my first supercharged car. I love this car - it is exactly what I was looking for. Just the Sound of the supercharger scares and annoyes me a little bit.

Is it normal that the supercharger whistles like this and that loud?

I did not get a respose in the Evora section so I would like to ask you guys as I guess it is the same engine.

Thanks!

Lupoletto

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mine's the same, though I'm sure it's louder now than when my car was new.

Would be nice if the supercharger-owners would have an ear on this one too - which is now recorded insinde the cabin, as I still did not meet any EvoraS Driver so far - even when I was at a Lotus Owners Meeting this Weekend - But only 1 other Evora Driver there ans this was an N/A.

THANKS!!!

Might be slightly more whistly than normal - a big difficult to tell. 

Edit: Tried again with headphones - definitely slightly more whistly than mine - you only hear the charger at high loads, and it is the charger whine rather than a whistle.

Edited by mik

Is the belt new? Mine is more noticeable now since the last service as it was changed. I know from past experience with toothed belts on a G-Lader charger (Polo G40) new belts made it scream!

yes, the belt is brand new as it ripped appr. 1000km ago (defect pully idler). 

Could there be any other issue/problem thet the charger is too loud? Anything I should check in time before getting a problem?

One more info: I recognize the wine only when the engine is warm.

Edited by Lupoletto

The ribs/cross cuts will be a lot more pronounced now, compared to the older (worn) belt which will give the sound. Has it only done it since the new belt? Mine did this right away after the new belt, but if I hadn't of known may have been concerned. The sound may be a bit different on a Exige V6S, but it certainly sounds very similar. Notice it more when engine is winding down with window down, but I have a Komo-Tec filter so it shrieks anyway with the standard whine. My engines on 9k