free hit
counters
Engine MIL lamp on after battery change - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Whitey

Engine MIL lamp on after battery change

Just swapped the old dead Varta out for a new E38 one and fired the car up which started instantly but the spanner light remained on together with the MIL. After 20 secs the spanner light went off leaving just the MIL on. I reset the windows and let the car just tick over for a few mins but the MIL remained on. So is this normal and is it likely to go out after a short run - anybody had this before?  Car sounds fine and everything else seems good.

Thanks,

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Have you got an OBD reader? If so, read the code, make a record of it then delete it. Start the car again and if the code comes back, investigate further. If it doesn’t, peachy. 

Update: started up today (4th start since battery swap) to go for a run and fuel and the light is now off  :)  I do like problems that fix themselves and the car is going superbly well!

Also didn't need to recode the Alpine 920 which was a bonus.

On 15/06/2019 at 16:40, Whitey said:

Update: started up today (4th start since battery swap) to go for a run and fuel and the light is now off  :)  I do like problems that fix themselves and the car is going superbly well!

Also didn't need to recode the Alpine 920 which was a bonus.

If a fault code isn’t thrown again after 3 starts the MIL light goes out.  

Just a note for owners of IPS cars, resetting fault codes with a non lotus OBD reader can lock out the transmission. 

I found this out on Friday morning.  Couldn’t select a geaf and couldn’t remove the key.  Only fix is disconnect battery.  

Ive read and reset the codes on my loads of times with vagcom in OBD mode and Torque OBD check on my phone without any issues.

Gav

Done mine without issue too and with the blessing of the main dealer

17 minutes ago, Colin P said:

Done mine without issue too and with the blessing of the main dealer

Yup.  But occasionally it causes an issue.  

As advised by Lotus.