free hit
counters
Rusty Nuts - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Is this a standard Evora issue? Every wheel and every nut. Each time I look at the car my eyes are drawn to them. Even had a passer by lunchtime say beautiful car but what’s going on with the wheel nuts.

F7E2BEE4-BD8F-4BA7-9E57-F052795E661C_zps

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It seems to be an issue on pretty much all cars. Our Alfa and Saab, and the neighbours Jag, are all the same.

My Evora's weren't quite as bad as yours, but they were still spoiling the otherwise 'pampered car' appearance. I had the wheels refurbished at the start of this week, which only served to highlight further the poor state of the bolts, and asked about doing them too, but the guy at the powder-coaters reckoned they'd be chipped and open to rusting again before he'd even finished tightening them up.

Instead, when I got home I removed them a couple at a time from each wheel, gave them a light sanding followed by an application of rust inhibitor and finished-off with a coat of satin black paint, any chips which subsequently occurred on refitting being touched-in with a fine brush after final tightening.

749968950_EvoraWheelRefurb2.thumb.jpg.d7d939d553a48937846e6996c6e33cc6.jpg

Looks ok from a distance 👍 

You couldn’t get a closer/brighter pic by any chance? 

Im not sure if a black or mirrored stainless steel would suit best. Probably black as you did.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:32, mayevora said:

.......You couldn’t get a closer/brighter pic by any chance? 

I didn't, but I do now. In the words of Jason & Kylie, "Especially for you"........

409564670_Bolts1.thumb.jpg.543f855cce3edef56af22fc0b34daa03.jpg

2141327462_Bolts2.thumb.jpg.ef0f2784721a376ffc67196e9b940e7a.jpg

Really close up, the surface is still a bit 'rough' looking so I may well spend tomorrow giving them another light sand and final topcoat.

42 minutes ago, Alfa2Evora said:

I didn't, but I do now. 

Good job! That looks good.👍 Big difference. Weather permitting tomorrow my time now gets divided between  24 hour Le Mans and bolt sanding/painting.

😁 Thanks

• Like 1

On 15/06/2019 at 11:06, trcm said:

Whats the plan?

Stud conversion and spline drive lug nuts. Though there are 2 issues the conversion studs I'm wanting to use (forged titanium items):
1) The studs won't clear the holes in the Evora's brake discs
2) The holes in the wheels aren't countersunk enough on the inside to sit over the seating flange of the studs.

The reason for this is these studs are designed for BMW brake disks which have thicker bells and the discs are spec'ed for M14 wheel bolt clearance. The former is the more problematic and may mean machining out the bolt holes in a set of discs. The latter requires spacers of >3mm, which I want to do anyway as the calliper/wheel clearance scares me!

• Like 1