free hit
counters
Anyone got Eibach lowering springs? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
MAG

Anyone got Eibach lowering springs?

Anyone using the Eibach springs from komotech or has everyone just gone for coilovers?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Reminds me when I was young... lowering a car with just the springs on OEM dampers (I often did go for Eibach... or H&R, not the worst out there) for looks and then finding the handling to be absolute sh!te.

Like Imran says, for me coilovers only!

Exactly, I remember lowering my first car on just springs and it was awful!   Coilovers actually improve ride quality if you go for good ones

Hahaha, he prepares to be flamed! So, I've ordered a set of komotec Eibach springs and here's my reasoning, so bare with me;

My previous car had a 3k KW coilover set up on it so I'm aware of the effects of quality suspension.

1. I definitely want the car to sit lower, yes I care about cosmetics 😲

2. At this point I could barely afford a 1 way coilover set-up and having read several build threads, the common theme seems to be "I bought one ways and then ended up upgrading to 3 ways further down the line because I didn't like the ride quality"

3. The car handles and rides well enough for me on Bilstein dampers at this point and I'm fairly confident having had Eibach springs on previous cars that it's unlikely to make it any worse but probably a little better.

4. I'm not a track monster so will probably only be on track maybe a couple of times a year.

5. If I decide in a years time I would like a top flight suspension set-up then I've only binned 500 quid as opposed to 2k 🙂

So, that's my reasoning and I suppose at least I'll be the test mule on this one 😁

He awaits flaming...😆

Your car, your choice :)

Make sure you take before/after photos!

• Like 1

@MAG I think your reasoning is perfectly understandable when I first bought my Exige it visually made me think 4x4 so I get your thinking completely I just think your one of the first to raise it so let us know how you get on 👍

www.alias23.com

If you think that you wifl suffer of the " I bought the one way coilover and now want the 3 ways" syndrome, it will be the same about you shorter springs ... 1 way are already a lot better than standard, and not so expensive considering the cost of the car ... People who want 3 ways were actually people tracking their cars, in my case I got the 3 ways only because I had a great deal on them, that I could not refuse ... You will also be able to change the rake of the car, which is a big plus, specially visually :) 

Not sure I agree with the bit about tracking the car, the 3 way Nitrons difference really stands out on the road :)

6 hours ago, GFWilliams said:

Not sure I agree with the bit about tracking the car, the 3 way Nitrons difference really stands out on the road :)

Where did I say the opposite ? This is just a matter of how much you want to spend. And I would be interested to see how many people with 3 ways suspension did not take their cars on track. 

Well, we'll see. They're on there way from Komotec and I'm booked in for next Thursday, while I'm there I'm gonna swap the PS4s out for some AD08Rs and have a K&N filter 😁

Can't decide whether to go 205/45 or 215/40... All the lotus performance retailers seem to stock 215/40's?? 

On 20/06/2019 at 02:03, MAG said:

gonna swap the PS4s out for some AD08Rs and have a K&N filter 😁

Can't decide whether to go 205/45 or 215/40... All the lotus performance retailers seem to stock 215/40's?? 

So far the go to option is PSC2 in 215/45, I'd go for these over AD08R without any doubts

215/45 is gonna be a larger diameter tyre. 215/40 will be wider in cross section than 205's but should maintain a similar profile to the 205/45….

My reasoning for selecting AD08rs is partly based on my experience with them and also due to price 😁

Your choice. 215/40 will be a noticeably smaller diameter tyre. AD08R is not a great match for an Exige.

215/40 are the rear tyres for Elise’s I think. 

You want 215/45, and as said above, you’d be much better buying Cup 2.

Hey @MAG how is the ride quality on your lower springs? Better? Similar? Worse? All than OEM. 

2 hours ago, Jcx said:

Hey @MAG how is the ride quality on your lower springs? Better? Similar? Worse? All than OEM. 

I have a project thread where I've put down what I think mate 👍

20 minutes ago, MAG said:

I have a project thread where I've put down what I think mate 👍

Fab thx. I found your thread asking people if they’d lowered but I didn’t find a thread with your experiences after fitting them...