free hit
counters
Nautilus blue 350s - Page 4 - V6 Exige Projects & Upgrades - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I really wanted the carbon panel for my 350 so i bought a new 410 which came with a free carbon access panel. Happy days 🤣

Okay, update time! Popped over to lotus Silverstone this afternoon and they've fitted my access panel for me. Took em dead on an hour but originally had fitting included in my quote so didn't matter t

Okay guys, here's the moment you've been waiting for! It's all fitted... First of all I wanted to change a couple of aesthetics inline with my car's colour scheme and also to make it a little mor

Posted Images

@MAGNothing wrong with the 380 Sport wing as you say (pic of mine attached) but generally it doesn’t photograph very well I think, but it’s a classy bit of kit. I must admit to also liking the 380 Cup wing though😉.......personally not fussed on any of the others. 

Your car looks great as it is and the extra power you’re planning will keep you going👍

DE3DA324-2020-49C5-B12B-C45EDE7647D5.jpeg

• Like 1

What a ball ache! 🤣

So, today I decided to fit my rear canards bought from eliseshop. First job was repainting as I wanted them to have a similar finish to the diffuser. I scrubbed the red stripe off using a mix of sand paper and wire wool and resprayed them in a tough matt black spray paint.

Next was trial fitting, this was simply done using a bit of masking tape to make sure I could get a good fit.

When I was happy with positioning I just used a sharpie to mark the drill points through the pre drilled holes on the canards.

Next I took a Bosch drill to my beloved car! And drilled the pilot holes on one side, I then opened these out with a slightly larger diameter bit. Fitting the rivnuts was fairly easy using a tool I got off for Amazon for a tenner. I watched a good ole YouTube tutorial first!

Next is where the fun began! The pre drilled holes in the canards are not in the best of positions meaning that the rivnuts are positioned on parts of the body shell that have curvature. This means that when you start to drive the bolts in for a test fit, they go in at an angle meaning that the canards ends up in a different place to where you initially fitted it. To cut a long story short, you have to do a lot of work opening out the holes in the canard to give you enough wiggle room to get them fitted evenly. It's a lot of fit check, remove, file, fit, check, remove, drill... It's quite frustrating but I completed the whole job in about 4 hours. I also had to use additional larger washers after opening up the original holes.

Fortunately all this additional work is completely hidden once fitted.

I would not recommend anyone attempt this if they do not consider themselves reasonably skilled at handywork.

_20190815_143028_compress98.jpg

DSC_1478_compress3.jpg

DSCN3128_compress27.jpg

_20190815_143052_compress11.jpg

_20190815_143144_compress29.jpg

_20190815_143204_compress84.jpg

DSC_1476_compress65.jpg

• Like 2

Not that you can tell from this pic but the car now has had paint correction and a coat of crystal serum plus exo. It's now very shiny and hydrophobic, plus it was a good excuse to post a pic 🤣

DSC_1492_compress17.jpg

• Like 2
On 23/08/2019 at 08:02, MAG said:

Not that you can tell from this pic but the car now has had paint correction and a coat of crystal serum plus exo. It's now very shiny and hydrophobic, plus it was a good excuse to post a pic 🤣

I have to say your car looks lovely - really nice colour combo of wheels and body work. I keep thinking of getting my car serum coated...would you mind letting me know who you used to do it and a rough cost (feel free to PM me if you'd rather). 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, steveoexige said:

I have to say your car looks lovely - really nice colour combo of wheels and body work. I keep thinking of getting my car serum coated...would you mind letting me know who you used to do it and a rough cost (feel free to PM me if you'd rather). 

It was a guy called Chris Jones who runs his own mobile business from Peterborough. I was recommended him by a friend. He has access to a unit too if required. The original quote after inspection was £475 to include minor paint correction, G techniq crystal serum and Exo application to body work plus removal of wheels and application of wheel armour. He spent 2 days on it but ran out of time and didn't get the wheels done so I paid £325 for now and he's slotting me in to get the wheels done at a later date.

1 hour ago, MAG said:

It was a guy called Chris Jones who runs his own mobile business from Peterborough. I was recommended him by a friend. He has access to a unit too if required. The original quote after inspection was £475 to include minor paint correction, G techniq crystal serum and Exo application to body work plus removal of wheels and application of wheel armour. He spent 2 days on it but ran out of time and didn't get the wheels done so I paid £325 for now and he's slotting me in to get the wheels done at a later date.

That’s a very good price. Are you close to Peterborough? Me too...

There is no doubt a ceramic coat does good things for the car if applied well.  But, the 'top ups' that are recommended by the mfrs. sort of weaken the '5-year guarantee' etc. IMO of course.

That said, even when ceramic coated a car looks better when cleaned and waxed.  And it is all part of the ownership fun for many.

6 hours ago, Jcx said:

There is no doubt a ceramic coat does good things for the car if applied well.  But, the 'top ups' that are recommended by the mfrs. sort of weaken the '5-year guarantee' etc. IMO of course.

That said, even when ceramic coated a car looks better when cleaned and waxed.  And it is all part of the ownership fun for many.

You can't wax a ceramic coated car...

46 minutes ago, Jcx said:

Really? I have heard/read otherwise and done otherwise. Happy to be corrected. 

Any polish/wax will make the ceramic coating rough over time, best to use something like GTechniq Liquid Crystal after washing

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Jcx said:

Really? I have heard/read otherwise and done otherwise. Happy to be corrected. 

You can technically wax a car after it’s been ceramic coated, as wax will adhere to non prepped surfaces which due to the hydrophobic nature of most si2’s will replicate as you’ll struggle to adhere anything to it (exactly what it’s meant to do). Topping with wax will make the hydrophobic and dirt repellent nature of the coating redundant, until the wax is stripped again.

Optically you would expect to loose clarity and gain warmth as a rough rule of thumb when adding wax. 

On Loti you really need to get maximum clarity as they can look, well, a pit plasticy without a metallic or pearl. So wax as a topper sort of dulls it out. My opinion obviously but one you can never really settle as with all these things it’s subjective. Other cars vary

So you can wax, but you’ll loose much of the si2 benefits until the wax stripped off. And the wax will strip quickly due to the weak bond.

You can’t use a sealant, as that can’t bond as it needs a clean surface it can adhere to.

If you want to top a ceramic coat, I like Beadmaker. Nice and slick.

If you don’t like ceramic and want good protection, look at menz power lock topped with collonite 845. If you like waxing regularly you can keep topping up the 845

• Like 2

Taken from G techniq website. Mine has Exo on it soooo...

Q: Can I use a wax over Gtechniq paintwork coatings?
A: You can as the wax will not damage any of our coatings.  But we recommend you don't for a number of reasons.  Firstly, if you have an extremely hydrophobic product such as EXO or C2, the wax will dull this effect.  Also all our coatings are designed to prevent contaminant bonding and are non-yellowing.  Wax on the other hand is a soft finish into which contaminants easily bond and wax is not optically clear.
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, Jcx said:

Yep it’s pointless. A ceramic coat fails due to bad prep, if you can wash off a ceramic coat with your car soap it either wasn’t applied correctly or you are using battery acid. 

If a ceramic loosing its hydrophobic properties early, then it’s likely dirty. Wash with a strong APC rather than a gentle soap and you’ll see it return.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, so should be getting the car back on Thursday after a two week absence. And of course it should be a tad more spritely as well. Immediate action of course is a nice little road trip 😁

Screenshot_20190917-212832.png

• Like 1