free hit
counters
Elite 2.2 rear wiper details wanted - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Grizzly

Elite 2.2 rear wiper details wanted

I want to install a 2.2 rear window wiper system on my S1 Elite, ie at the top of the window, but I have no details, nor can I find any on-line, as to how this was done by Lotus. 

My options are:- 

• to ask on here for details - this thread,
  •  to investigate how it is done on other cars, but don't know which car to copy
  • to start from scratch with a parts bin and design my own, but don't know where to start
  • to modify the tailgate of the Elite so that the wiper in its current low position lifts with the tail gate.

My preferred option, believe it or not, is the last - to modify the tailgate of the Elite so that the wiper in its current low position lifts with the tail gate. This would also give a bit more room to get items into and out of the boot without dragging the items over the wiper blade. I would look at fitting a keyed lock to do away with the pull chord system (scared of broken wire) also. I'm not afraid of doing body mods myself, but don't have a back end to experiment on - anybody got one handy?

Grateful, as always, for any help here.

Brian

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Keep an eye out on eBay for a series two rear screen. They do come up. Once you get this then I'm sure there are modern wiper motors that will fit on the screen and do away with the contactor mechanism. I would suggest that the last thing you would want to do would be to modify the back end in the major way your suggesting. It will destroy the value of the vehicle imo.

The Series 2 Elite doesn't have the rear wiper motor attached to the window. It is mounted to the roof and has a detachable mechanism to connect the wiper to the motor. :)

Mike, TAR, 

Thanks for the replies. 

Mike - I'm impatient and want to get on, so waiting for an ebay entry is not an option but for me. As to whether my mod to the tailgate would destroy the value of my car, I'm afraid to say, may be your opinion, but it's not mine. Sorry to disagree 

TAR- I didn't know that about the S2 rear wiper. Do you have any more details, please? 

Thanks

Brian 

Hi Brian,

To fit an S2 motor will probably require some work to create a mounting on the interior bodywork above the hatch. Incidentally, I think the motor used is off a Porsche 928! As detailed above, you'll also need the latching drive mechanism on the motor spindle, as well as on the wiper spindle on the S2 rear window. Your best bet to get hold of these parts is probably Lotusbits, and Mike Taylor should also be able to help you regarding mounting the motor on an S1 body. I believe both the Porsche 928 (and 924/44) had the motor mounted on the tailgate, but they had a much larger glass area meaning they didn't obscure vision. On the Elite window, there isn't so much area, and it is closer to vertical than the Porsches.

You could just blank off the hole and use Rain-X or similar!

Richard

I've not driven my Elite yet - restoration project - how bad does the rear screen get when driving in the rain?  I was considering not re-installing the wiper system on mine (series 1) and doing what Richard suggests - Rain-X.

Pete

My experience is that it is mainly rainwater spray that is deposited on the window, and not so much muck from under the car. But then, I havent been farming in it!

Cheers, Richard

Just been round the NC500 in mine, and didn't use the wiper at all. But, the wiper is marginal at best, as I suspect it isn't getting full volts, so painfully slow, even with rainX on it. Didn't get to point of me even bothering to wipe the window, could still see out...but a bit hazy. No muck from under the car at all. I will get it working properly one day, but more important things to bother about.