free hit
counters
Height for front splitter - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

2 minutes ago, PJ said:

I now have it around 130 to 135mm which seems to do the trick in relation to speed bumps and such. I like the low stand but not so far that the front splitter gets a scratch each time you meet a speed bump. 

20190717_125401.jpg

Did you lower it? If yes, how?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I am measuring 140mm from ground to underside of splitter. 

239DC338-CE39-44C8-8CCC-85DCFAD23A56.jpeg

And I am measuring 110mm from top of wheel run to underside of front wheel arch. 

8507D9E3-1359-489F-B407-605B22A46A36.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Jcx said:

I am measuring 140mm from ground to underside of splitter. 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f91d8068176956b1imageproxy.php?img=&key=f91d8068176956b1

239DC338-CE39-44C8-8CCC-85DCFAD23A56.jpeg

And I am measuring 110mm from top of wheel run to underside of front wheel arch. 

What Tyre size are you using? If you have 215 you can switch to 205

It’s all standard. 205 45 17 fronts. But I don’t think the tyre will make any difference to the wheel to wheel arch dim. 

The stance should be factory 130mm to bottom front splitter I believe. So it's only up 1cm, it saves you from speed bumps anyway. I would leave it as below 130mm can be uncomfortable, it was to me. Hope this helps. 

Always helpful thx. 👍

I believe factory stance is 130mm to jacking point. Mine is 155mm to jacking point. 

I can’t find a factory height for front splitter. 

I have now calculated that the splitter on a 350 Sport (setup up with correct ride height of 136mm rear and 130mm front) should be approx 115mm high off the ground.  This follows the 7.6 degree approach angle in the Lotus Service Notes TDV and the 880mm overhang from wheel hub centre to front of splitter.

Seems about right  that my splitter is then 25mm too high as my front ride height is also 25mm too high.  This must affect balance and aero (airflow) as well as aesthetics.  Wondering if my car has the wrong spring ratings on it.

3 hours ago, Jcx said:

I have now calculated that the splitter on a 350 Sport (setup up with correct ride height of 136mm rear and 130mm front) should be approx 115mm high off the ground.  This follows the 7.6 degree approach angle in the Lotus Service Notes TDV and the 880mm overhang from wheel hub centre to front of splitter.

Seems about right  that my splitter is then 25mm too high as my front ride height is also 25mm too high.  This must affect balance and aero (airflow) as well as aesthetics.  Wondering if my car has the wrong spring ratings on it.

No offence but I think you're getting a bit too wrapped up in very specific measurements. My experience of fitting coilovers has shown me that you'll never get two measurements exactly the same. There are too many variables when air filled rubber tubes have spring loaded gas or oil filled dampers balanced on top of them. You can easily get a 5mm difference without adjusting anything and purely rolling the car a metre forward, I've been there, done it and obsessed over it to no avail.

However, I do agree that the stock 350s rides at around 140-150mm from the front splitter to the floor which in my opinion is a bit too high from a visual standpoint on a car like the Exige. 

The only way you will alter this is with either coilovers (the optimum performance solution) or lowering springs like I did. The car does look alot better riding at around 120mm from the floor to the front splitter.

If you look through the forum there's plenty of reference to stock cars be it V6s or 350s that are running on stock Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs being around 140-150 ish mm off the ground measured at the front splitter.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your car 👍

In my opinion ride height is just another differential that helps Lotus to justify the extra expense of premium models with coilover suspension. People not only want the premium models to perform better but they have to look better too and this is just part of that.

Just my penneth...

All fair points MAG, no offence taken.  I appreciate you sharing your experience. 👍

You are right, I am a bit hung up on it because it doesn’t look as it should (IMO) and a 20% difference in ride height compared to the Lotus Service Notes TDV seems like too much to me and there is clearly no rake from back to front.

I did inspect the springs and I see that I have the Race Spec spring not the Sport Spec. (Product numbers are different) I assume all 350s are the same now as all come with the Race DPM option so assume all will now come with Race Spec springs Ref: A138C0019. 

My old springs are sitting in a box in my garage. If I get time later I'll have a look and see what's stamped on them but I'd be surprised if there was more than one version for the stock suspension option.

5 minutes ago, MAG said:

My old springs are sitting in a box in my garage. If I get time later I'll have a look and see what's stamped on them but I'd be surprised if there was more than one version for the stock suspension option.

Ah that’s fab thx. A138C0057 is the Sport spring for the front. A138C0019 is the Race spring for the front. 

How long did it take your tech to change all 4 springs? Is it a big job? 

Thx again

18 hours ago, Jcx said:

Mine is 99mm front and 98mm rear. 2014 car, 14000kms, non track pack. 

Thanks @Kristof Thys Very interesting.  So a V6 S. I just measured my rear at 100mm so very similar to yours.  Its just my front that looks excessively high - and yet both jack point measurements register 19-25mm high.

On 27/07/2019 at 17:21, MAG said:

Here's the best comparison pics I could find... Sunny pic is before, darker one is after 😁

_20190727_171830_compress48.jpg

_20190727_171940_compress67.jpg

Hey @MAG how do you rate the comfort and handling with the lower springs? No noticeable difference? Worse in some ways? Better in some ways? Tia