free hit
counters
High continuous electric beep tone - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
PJ

High continuous electric beep tone

Hi, perhaps it's due to my hearing but when I start the engine- and when the engine is running I hear a high continuous beep tone. It is not loud but (better) audible when the engine is stationary. It seems to be from the engine bay and it doesn't seem to me it is mechanical, more electrical. Any suggestions?! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Things that beep in the cabin ...

1) reversing sensor sounder, located above passenger side seat under the trim.

2) I thought I had a switch pack failure which just turned out to be a key fob battery. I thought just before it filed completely the dash made a different beeping sound before the car was started up.

3) that’s about it I think, we can discount the radio cos it’s pants.

cheers

Mark

Thanks. Strange, the high beep is only there when I start- and run the engine. Not sure where it comes from still, on the outside I can't really hear it but inside I can hear it. 

If the high-pitched noise is from the engine bay, then it is likely to be from the throttle actuator (stepper motor) on the throttle body.  On most Exiges, the noise from the throttle housing is usually most evident when the ignition is ON - but with the engine NOT running; the whine stops as soon as you turn-off the ignition.

Most of us owners have had our hearing so wrecked by the noise from the engine/exhaust (or wind roar with the roof off) that we’re half deaf anyway - or we’re sufficiently old that, due to natural aging, we can’t hear high pitched noise 🙂

Edited by LotusPilot
  • Like 1

Thanks! No I only have it when the engine is running, not when the ignition is on and the motor isn't running.. Any suggestions for that? :)

On 17/06/2019 at 00:38, Mark030358 said:

The reversing sounder would only be initiated when in reverse but is it also powered when the ignition is on but without running engine? 

Is there anyone else with suggestions on a high tone, audible only within the car and with running engine.. I have no idea?! 

Edited by PJ

It's only there when the engine is running though 

Still say reversing sensors, have a listen just above the passenger seat see if its coming from there.

cheers

Thanks Mark, and we'll do! 

I also have the high-pitched sound, it sounds a little like the continuous noise of the very small air leak very light and sharp. I was going to post a soundtrack during the weekend.