free hit
counters
Lithium battery problem - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
chumaxa

Lithium battery problem

Hi guys, I have got a lithium battery installed, now problem is, it seems to get drained, my car is a cup car, so there is nothing which is supposed to drain it ... I do not get it ...  ( installed on friday, battery fully charged, and I just checked tonight, the charge level is low, I did not drive the car in between...)

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nothings connected to your centre console power socket by any chance as that’s on full time and not just on ignition.

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

Nothings connected to your centre console power socket by any chance as that’s on full time and not just on ignition.

It is a cup car, so not much stuff around, with nothing on that center console socket .... this is why I am a bit lost ..

Put a meter in series (amps) and see what if any draw you have.

cheers

Mark

or rather if you have any draw (current) sorry, slightly pi$$ed... been out to the local watching the Willaston Massif in action..

IMG_7343.JPG

IMG_7346.JPG

IMG_7347.JPG

goroS3LIScSBMck9dV65jA.jpg

Hmm, The Willaston Massif...you wouldn’t want to mess with them would you.

Maybe you know it, otherwise it may turn out to be an expensive lesson: Make sure you don't jump start the car with battery cables from another vehicle. Lithium (LiFePO4) batteries are sensitive to high current at low Voltage.

No of course I dfo not plan to jump start the car, and never did. Also it looks like the retaining charge test of the charger fails, it is all ok when the battery is off the car, but then when it is plugged, it goes wrong ... thank you for your weekend pictures, not sure what to do with them, but I am sure they will come handy one day ! 

As I said, you need to measure the current draw, then start disconnecting things to find out what’s killing it. It could be the alarm for instance, but that shouldn’t drain the battery too quickly.

cheers

Mark

Doesn't look wrong, but do you have a low voltage cut out connected? If the lifepo goes below a ceratain voltage it will be damaged.  You need protection against drain.

Not this one no, the other one I tried had a restart option, but I have a kill switch in the car to stop the electronic system. Which by the way is the only way to charge and maintain the battery on charge, if the power is not cut, the charger will fail to keep the battery in a test and charge loop....