free hit
counters
removing output shaft at diff - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Admiral

removing output shaft at diff

Hola!

Is it that simple to remove the flange of the output shaft at the diff with a slide hammer as it is mentioned in the workshop manual?

Or have I to open the diff to remove the circle clip first?

Saludos!
Michael

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

You may find that you can simply pull the shaft out after removing the four flange bolts - I did with mine.  There isn't a circlip - the shaft is held in place with a heat-to-fit sleeve inboard of the bearing.

Pete

Thanks Pete,

My eclat has developed a bit of a fault in this area and returned from Scotland ont he back of an AA truck. I'll probably just bolt in a replacement diff then examine the original one on the bench, but its interesting to hear that the half shaft is only hed in place with a heat to fit sleeve. Does this include a seal as mine is pssing its oil all over the  inside of the passenger brake drum.. Is there any ruber involved?

I suspect my diff has taken a bit of a hammering after driving it (a fairly short distance) after the lower diff stud sheared - stressing the output flange with more road shocks that it should have been receiving.

Admiral - is this off an Elite or Éclat?

I've had both output shafts out of my diff and didn't see anything like this?

Dunc - the only seal (AFAIK) is the o ring that sits over the output shaft and is compressed between the body of the diff and the rear plate of the brakes. It was a COMPLETE B******D to replace as the rear plate moves and then disturbs the o ring before you tighten everything - you can't see it so only know if it seals by the absence of leaks once all back together. If you check out my thread - I did come up with a natty way of holding the rear plate in situ but it was a bit hit and miss. Another superb example of making something simple in theory but not in practice!

I'm going to swap my diff out and replace it with another, then I can do a prognosis on what the issue is with the one I have.

Handy to get an understanding of what I'm taking on however

Admiral - that looks like an Excel part.  If it is then yes - a slide hammer will do it - you do not have to remove the circlip fist.

Dunc - there is a proper oil seal in the retaining flange that runs on the output shaft and the o-ring that Ant mentions.  The key to getting the o-ring in place is to chamfer the diff housing where the o-ring enters it or the sharp edges can tear it.  It is very un-nerving when you see the little sleeve that holds the entire drive-shaft/wheel etc to the diff 😮.

Pete

• Like 1