Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Calling All S1/S2/Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide! - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Calling All S1/S2/Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide!

Due to the lack of numbers and costs of development for the new Bilstein/Eibach suspension upgrade Lotus cannot realistically carry on the development of this upgrade unless there are significant numbers of people interested in purchasing. If only 10/20 people wish to follow this route then Lotus will lose a significant amount of money on the project which, as nice as they are, they can't justify. If 75+ people were interested, there's a lot more chance of us getting this off the ground.

Please post below if you would purchase this suspension if it were available. It's not a contract to buy, but we do need a commitment to numbers so a good case can be made to Lotus to make this an economically good idea for them.

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Count me in for one complete setup for sure 100%.

(I might buy a second within two years.)

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Dom

Maybe you could check with your members over there via Lotus Remarque. Something along the lines of "Please log on to LEF (address) and post in this section".?

Maybe Mark the Feff man could do likewise with Lotus ltd?

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Some people have a weird aversion to web forums -- either because they have to register, or because they are not familiar with the format.

If asking owners from elsewhere to reply here, I think it would be helpful, Dom and Feff, to clearly let them know that:

1) This thread is the official contact and count that the factory will read

2) There's nothing scary about the forum, it's the center of all things Esprit, and no one will steal your identity, etc., and

3) Post a direct link to this thread, as I know a couple of people who registered here and never posted because they didn't understand the format.

Just my .02 . . .

P.S. -- I am more likely to buy a second set if the price is competitive, and I share Jean's concern about the ride height. :mail:

Edited by Tony K

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Due to the lack of numbers and costs of development for the new Bilstein/Eibach suspension upgrade Lotus cannot realistically carry on the development of this upgrade unless there are significant numbers of people interested in purchasing. If only 10/20 people wish to follow this route then Lotus will lose a significant amount of money on the project which, as nice as they are, they can't justify. If 75+ people were interested, there's a lot more chance of us getting this off the ground.

Please post below if you would purchase this suspension if it were available. It's not a contract to buy, but we do need a commitment to numbers so a good case can be made to Lotus to make this an economically good idea for them.

I would definitely be interested in this upgrade, not wanting to miss the opportunity. How many are interested? I'm counting about a dozen or so from the postings I see.

Ed

Make that about a dozen + 1. I'm not too sure about the bushes or dampers on my car. They don't seem to be shot but I'm sure they are not as good as new by a long way. The cars was sat for 7 years before I bought it and that can't have helped. So, if I can afford it, I will be buying new bushes, dampers and springs if they bacome available.

To be honest, for me they don't have to be re-engineered. It would be good enough to remake the old parts or advise on off-the-sheld dampers. May save a bit on engineering costs that way.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

I am interested if it is more then just shocks. I don't see what is actually being proposed. A new upper (A?) arm in place of the drive shaft is what is needed for my early S1.

Thanks

Matt

PS I jumped over from the S1S2S3 list, thanks for the heads up

Guest bharper

I would be interested depending on price. I do not understand why this would be such a major undertaking for the factory, considering they have already done this on the newer model esprits. Guess ordering inventory would be expensive however....

Brian

Esprit S1 #279H

Brian

I'm not an expert but my instinct is that each Esprit suspension type needs exactly the same amount of development almost as though each was a completely different car. The factory takes a gamble with each that it can recover development costs with enough sales. There are prob sufficient S3s and Stevens, V8s for this to be worthwhile. However looking at the amount of S1/S2 cars left you can understand them worrying about not selling enough. They do not have an obligation to do this.....

You could obviously produce small nos at an extremely high price to cover costs, but note the no of posts above where people expresly say only if the price is right.

If we don't get enough people to come out saying they want this it simply won't happen, and I won't blame the factory for this, you can't expect them to keep losing money.

Regards

Mat

post-1-0302470001278592957.jpg

To expand on Mat's reply, Brian, the factory is talking about re-engineering the spring/damper/bush set-up to suit modern tyres as they have changed a lot in the last 20 years or so. This means going through all the charactersistics of currently-available tyres that will fit (and they will probably be a different size from the ones originally specified for the car as they have such limited availability). Once they have chosen a tyre to work with they can start tuning the suspension spring and damper rates to match it. The tyre is a spring and damper in itself, don't forget, so it has a big effect on handling and ride. They also have to adjust the bush stiffnesses to control subtle things like compliance steer, NVH and so on. Presumably, the newer tyres will have significantly more grip and higher transient reponses than the old ones so the loads on the bushes will be that much greater but, to get the same handling, yuo need to make them stiffer but it's not just a case of twice the grip, twice the stiffness. A lot of test driving is needed to give the car the right feel we expect of a Lotus. This is very labour-intensive and, therefore, expensive.

Yes, they have done it before but it's a bit like developing a new engine, or new software. You may have done it before, but to do it again still takes a lot of trial and error which cost money.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE