free hit
counters
Calling All S1/S2/Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide! - Page 15 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Calling All S1/S2/Pre '85 S3 Owners Worldwide!

I have seen Hillys thread and great work. Also one of the reason that i beleive into this modification.

My concern is the extra load on the damper lower mounting bolt to the lower a-arm. Since this bolt has to carry not only the load from the damping, but also the weight of the car as well. Hence I want to reinforce the a-arm or fabricate a new.

It will also be nice to confirm if the distance from the lower a-arm pivot point to the damper mounting point is the same as the post 85 Esprits. 

Lars

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats correct, it would be difficult to get the springs right first time. Also, on the pre-85 the lower link twists as it goes up and down as its located front-rear by the ARB. So the lower shock

So it's looking like nothing will ever come of this? What a tragedy! I have a 1978 Esprit S2 that needs a suspension overhaul and I would have snapped up a Bilstein/Eibach setup in a second.

Has there been any update on this? If we could hold of the specs, could we not get some made etc? 

Posted Images

I dont really see any benefit in the above. Why not get springs made which will give the right height as the mod would require new springs anyway.

I am using the standard springs from SJ and the height is perfect.

Benefit is the ability to adjust ride height. My 82 is too high, my 84 is too low!

There has ben numerious threads concerning the ride heights. Which actually goes for whatever brand of cars you have, when you go for aftermarket springs.

Good for you, that you have a perfect ride height, but really doesnt solve my issues, as well as others.

And particular not if onewants to opt for the Lotus spring and damper program!

Plenty of threads on here concerning fitting standard springs and shocks and folks not been happy with the ride height,  Normally saying it is sitting too hIgh,

A topic to possibly solve the issue is to tighten all the suspension up completely tight when the car is on the deck, 

Having always had adjustable suspension I cant comment on the above.

It is a mine field as everyone has very different views especially regarding aftermarket such as protech,  Some love them some hate them lol.

Lotusbits.com sell the Avos as a kit, They are steel compared to the protechs which are alloy.  They are also more expensive than the protechs. 

Purchased a set of Avos a while ago and have yet to use them to give a verdict on the ride compaired to the protechs that I have used for many years with no issues  :)

A

27 minutes ago, skiing said:

So if I was to opt with the combination of the new Lotus damper with existing Lotus spring, this would impact ride height? 

I cant comment on this using the old original springs.

But as I mention, my springs are saking, and the car is sitting too low. 

So, replacing both damper and spring. Will I end up with perfect ride height?

Why is the ride height at the spring/damper kit adjustable at all?

Yes springs will compress over the years reducing the ride height. 

As far as I am aware the Lotus suspension that was developed for the presence 85 cars is not adjustable off memory ? 

A

• Gold FFM

The new lotus suspension has two heights using lower spring seats which move. However, if using on a pre-85 car on the front suspension, you would use the lower spring seat on the lower arm rather than the separate spring seat which comes with the lotus suspension for post 85 cars. If the spring dictates the ride height (?) then I would assume the ride height will stay the same as I currently have it on the standard lotus springs. I would ideally like lotus developed and tuned suspension rather than aftermarket if possible but also don't want it to look like an off-roader! It might be case of conducting a very expensive experiment to see how it looks... Unless someone here can confirm what sets ride height - spring or damper? Or perhaps a combination of both.

4 minutes ago, skiing said:

The new lotus suspension has two heights using lower spring seats which move. However, if using on a pre-85 car on the front suspension, you would use the lower spring seat on the lower arm rather than the separate spring seat which comes with the lotus suspension for post 85 cars. If the spring dictates the ride height (?) then I would assume the ride height will stay the same as I currently have it on the standard lotus springs. I would ideally like lotus developed and tuned suspension rather than aftermarket if possible but also don't want it to look like an off-roader! It might be case of conducting a very expensive experiment to see how it looks... Unless someone here can confirm what sets ride height - spring or damper? Or perhaps a combination of both.

I am tempted to GAZ dampers for pre 85 as well. And sourch som Eibach springs.

And then having the ability to adjust/correct the ride height.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, skiing said:

And then having the ability to adjust/correct the ride height.

The ride height is only set by the spring on an unmodified pre-85 car.

If you wanted to fit the whole setup, dampers and springs from the Lotus programme, then yes a mod would be needed but then the suspension would be neither like the older or later version so I am not sure how valid the Lotus Eibach springs would be on a modified suspension.

I think the biggest issue are the dampers rather than springs so I would keep the springs standard and just fit the dampers by removing the spring platforms on them.

Edit: Apart from that, the modification done to the early suspension to fit the later springs and adjustable dampers looks highly suspect to me. On the early setup the spring bearing down on the actual lower link surely helps to steady it in the fore/aft plane, as well as the anti-roll bar. The whole thing would be more flexible just relying on the anti-roll bar.

Another edit: Has anyone compared the spring dimensions and wire guage between the originals and Eibachs? In what way are the Eibach springs different, are they harder or softer I wonder? Basically spring rate (gauge and no of turns) and free length are all that matters on a simple spring of this type.

15 minutes ago, naasaa said:

But do Gaz know what settings to use? Thats the problem with the Protech ones, incorrect settings. The single-adjustable nature adds nothing to the solution. The whole damper bump/rebound curve needs to be right to do it properly.

• Gold FFM

As far as I can see the new eibach springs tuned by Lotus are a different diameter to the original lotus springs - it specifies that different spring platforms are to be ordered if using original lotus springs. In terms of the lotus dampers, if they don't affect ride height on a pre-85 car then it looks like it might be worth having a go with the new lotus dampers matched with original lotus springs.

8 hours ago, skiing said:

As far as I can see the new eibach springs tuned by Lotus are a different diameter to the original lotus springs - it specifies that different spring platforms are to be ordered if using original lotus springs. In terms of the lotus dampers, if they don't affect ride height on a pre-85 car then it looks like it might be worth having a go with the new lotus dampers matched with original lotus springs.

Well. Wont work for me as my front is too low!

Just found this topic, don't know how i missed it as i'm in the unfortuate position of needing new front springs and dampers for my 84 turbo with a/c. I'm amazed there seems to be so much hearsay about whats right and wrong? I was only after bog standard oem replacements and understand they are not available any more? So whats the direct replacement item? SJ seem to be quoting the protec? The ride height needs to stay the same and i'm not going to starts modifying the chassis to accommodate anything else as that would suggest its not fit for purpose!

I'm new to esprit ownership (2 weeks) and am amazed there are not loads of options for suspension even though i only want oem stuff ideally?

8 hours ago, Smithy111 said:

Just found this topic, don't know how i missed it as i'm in the unfortuate position of needing new front springs and dampers for my 84 turbo with a/c. I'm amazed there seems to be so much hearsay about whats right and wrong? I was only after bog standard oem replacements and understand they are not available any more? So whats the direct replacement item? SJ seem to be quoting the protec? The ride height needs to stay the same and i'm not going to starts modifying the chassis to accommodate anything else as that would suggest its not fit for purpose!

I'm new to esprit ownership (2 weeks) and am amazed there are not loads of options for suspension even though i only want oem stuff ideally?

Its a fact that you cant get Lotus springs and dampars for your 84.

"The ride height needs to stay the same and i'm not going to starts modifying the chassis to accommodate anything else as that would suggest its not fit for purpose!"

Thtas why you finds trheats like these.

I do not entirely agree with you here. There is always place for improvement. The Esprit underwent numerious improvements from the S1 til end of productions.

If I could just order new parts from Lotus, I would have done it. But I have to act to the fact that my dampers are sloppy and that my front cant enter curbstone or some speed bumps! 

Easiest option for a quick replacement for pre-84 is to keep the springs if they are in OK condition and ride height is correct, and order the post-84 standard dampers from SJ which are inexpensive, and take them to a machine shop to put them on a lathe and cut off the lower spring platforms.

The OEM shocks are nothing special but in theory they at least should be valved to the Lotus spec. Fitting the Protech shocks is basically throwing away all the work that Lotus, a world leader in suspension design, did during development. I have Protech all round and want to bin them.

Spring on one side is snapped so what am I to do? Will replacement springs from SJ make the front too high? Someone must have done this that can comment? Sounds like there are no decent spring/dampers unless you have a post 85 car and want to part with quite a lot of money for factory stuff (just seen the price on SJ!) can I reuse the old dampers if they are ok (not ideal) and suitable new springs?

For the time and effort involved in replacing the springs and not go to the effort of replacing the shocks. 

Murphys law will happen and one of your old shocks will fail lol.

Just buy standard pre 85 shocks from SJ and 2 new front springs off him also. 

Ride height wise you will be fine imo, it will look higher than before as you broken spring will of reduced your ride height visually anyway. :)

A

Agree with above about springs, I am using SJ springs and they are fine. But no standard pre 85 shocks are available any more.

Chris, as Andy said, standard springs you can still get from SJ. If you order standard 85 onwards dampers and modify them by parting-off the spring platforms this should be equivalent to a pre 85 standard damper. Done. I’ve just placed an order for both standard front springs and dampers with SJ  since one of my old shocks is leaking. No need to go for a unicorn chase.

• Like 1

Ad initium

Check eBay also, Front standard shocks pop up now and again.

Usually from folks who have purchased new standard shocks for projects and years later when they have finally gotten round to grafting on their cars have decided to opt for adjustables so sell the new old stock items on  ! 

A